Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 PM   #26
Cayca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
But most of the time I keep them unpainted so they don't turn yellow underneath, because that's just unhealthy.
Why don't you use base coat?
If your nails turned yellow lemon wil help. Warm up some olive oil, add lemon juice (half of lemon should be more than enough), put your hands in it and keep them there for several minutes. Wash your hands and admire your beautiful long white nails.
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #27
Vako

A few year ago I used to like to have my pinky nails really long, like quarter-of-inch, but when I had to type at work, they would keep hitting the P and the Q keys instead of the : and the A keys. Aslo, people kept asking me if they were my "coke nails". So nowadays I keep them trimmed regular.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
shelldoo

Mine are about 1/2 an inch of free edge, sharply pointed, usually black but currently blood red, usually w/ nail art of some sort on the ring finger.
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #29
Underwater Ophelia

My nails are nice and long naturally, so I don't usually get tips or anything. I just often paint them, but when I do, I like them burgundy.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #30
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Mine right now are nice and long. They're painted a nice dark metallic blue.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #31
roserougesang

Currently disappointed with my nails, can't help biting them
Any good advice for stopping nail biting? 'Tis one habit I would love to break.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
Currently disappointed with my nails, can't help biting them
Any good advice for stopping nail biting? 'Tis one habit I would love to break.
You might be less likely to bite them if you paint them, as you'll get paint chips in your mouth, which is pretty yucky.

You can also try just thinking of how pretty your nails will be if you don't bite them every time you want to.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #33
roserougesang

I can't paint my nails until the holidays though, my school doesn't allow nail polish.

At least for now I'll just try sitting on my hands whenever I don't need the use of them.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #34
shelldoo

I tell my nail biting clients to scratch bar soap, scratch it pretty well, even if you pick the soap out a residue stays under there that will taste nasty.
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #35
raggedyanne

good idea.

mine are currently just covered in clear polish ith red on the middle finger.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #36
PersephoneX

My nails are always painted black. But i chew them and they're very short and ugly. I paint my boyfriend's thumbnail black whenever i can...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #37
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
I can't paint my nails until the holidays though, my school doesn't allow nail polish.

At least for now I'll just try sitting on my hands whenever I don't need the use of them.
My friend just told me there's stuff you can buy to put on your nails so when you bite them they taste really horrible. I don't know where to find it, but maybe Sally's.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #38
raggedyanne

Tabasco sauce works for some, but I like the stuff, so my nails are still ugly
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #39
nightmare syndrome

i used to chew on my nails....
and then instead of chewing my nails out....i decided to get long fake nails. by the time they wore off, my nails have grown long enough for a real nail polish job, so i first spent a day wearing growth protein formula to restore it, and on top of that added a coat of nail polish, and spend hours doing nail art on top of it. i couldn't bare to chew or even put my fingernails in my mouth after that, because my nails were so pretty. after that i came to the realization that i could always have pretty nails if i didn't chew on them. that instantly made me stop.
that's from personal experience....

now, i paint my nails blacks deep reds and chromes. the blacks are usually really nice and deep and could pass with one coat if you use the one from the sephora (sephora brand), bright red you can basically find anywhere....but chromes, victoria's secret is definetely the best for chromes. they have so many different shades too. gawd. i love nail polish.
nightmare syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #40
KontanKarite

Three variations for me...

Nude and past the tips just a bit. I prefer very healthy looking nails, so I try to keep them clean and I use a clear coat of Hard As Nails.

I also put a coat of black over the clear coat if I want to go that direction.

If not pure black, I do spiderwebs.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite

If not pure black, I do spiderwebs.
That's cool. I got my nails done at a salon once and I got them purple with spiderwebs. I definitely like the spiderweb idea.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #42
Ravencroft

I have a nail clipping problem. Everytime I see a pair of nail clipper laying about the house, I have to use them. I'm getting better with my toenails, tho. So for my fingernails, you can say that I have nubs. I'm getting into wearing nailpolish more now. I'm using black right now. Hopefully, by wearing nailpolish more, it can keep me from clipping or even biting my nails. ^^;
Ravencroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #43
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
That's cool. I got my nails done at a salon once and I got them purple with spiderwebs. I definitely like the spiderweb idea.

Yeah. I never had mine done at a salon. I do mine all myself. It's kinda hard. But the effect is neat. I usually put a spider on my middle finger.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #44
Minyaliel

Getting a guitar helped me stop chewing because I'd start filing my nails to have natural plectrums instead of needing a plastic one (I tend to loose them). So, the last few months I've had very short nails on my left hand (can't play with long nails, boohoo) and longish ones on my right hand, neatly shaped and looked after. When spending hours on making your nails stay the right shape, it's pretty easy to stop biting them off all the time because you'll start thinking how long it will take to grow them out again and do all that work all over again.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #45
Linen

My nails are usually quite long (naturally), rounded, and plain. I sometimes use clear (strengthening) polish, and only dark colored polishes on when I'm really dressed up. Polishes scrape off my fingernails too quickly and look tacky. I just can't keep them looking fresh for long. I do paint my toenails, though, because it stays on longer.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #46
Aurora Calerva

Right now, they are log and pointy, but most of the times they are oval shaped and always painted, but with acrylic varnish. If they weren't, they couldn't get as long as they are now.
But when they are short, they are unpainted and I use that period to hydrate them with a nail cream called "Dikla" (which is both great for softening cuticules and strenghtening the nail itself).
Aurora Calerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #47
Killer_Burrito

I grow my nails pretty long. I usually paint them vamp purple, black, or silver. But what looks best it a kind of bright red.
Killer_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #48
ArtificialOne

I love silver, don't think it looks good on my nails though, I usually go for black. But sometimes I'll do a cross in black on one finger on one hand and another in red on the other hand... looks pretty good if I decide to go out gothi and not rivet heady that night...

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #49
LiUsAiDh

If you want to stop biting nails just soak them in vinegar for a bit every two days.... it smells a bit but it sorted me out in about a week.

Oh yeah, and my nails are about 1cm long, and black .

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #50
Heatherzilla

My nails are short, silver and glittery. They used to be really long but they got in the way when I was attempting to play guitar.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote