Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
the_ink_bleeds_faster

Nail Polish

I'm not sure if there is another thread like this, but I don't feel like looking.

I like to paint my nails, but when I do, the finger nail gets all soft, and flakes, and even chips off. I'm not sure if it's my nails, or the polish. I usually buy NYC because it's cheep, or Wet and Wild.
If it's ruining my nails, I don't want to use it.
Is there any nail polish that won't damage my nails as much? Links and stores gladdly appriciated.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Cayca

Nail polish shouldn't damage your nails. Actually, it shoud make your nails stronger while it's on them. You probably don't take enough vitamins and minerals.
Olive oil is great for everything. You should put your nails in warm (not hot) olive oil and keep them there for several minutes. Do this every day for a week or so. Your nails should get stronger.
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
the_ink_bleeds_faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayca
Nail polish shouldn't damage your nails. Actually, it shoud make your nails stronger while it's on them. You probably don't take enough vitamins and minerals.
Olive oil is great for everything. You should put your nails in warm (not hot) olive oil and keep them there for several minutes. Do this every day for a week or so. Your nails should get stronger.
Ah, thank you. Maybe that will help, I'll try it. I don't know why nail polish ruins my nails, but maybe I'm illergic to it, I don't know.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Neurosis

Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Nail polish are great! I wear them and they harden my nails while giving a great color. They also have a rainbow prism color which is marvelous. They are sold in most department and drugstores.
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
shelldoo

Ah, my area of expertise. Cheap polish *can* damage nails. Especially if one doesn't use a base coat. The ingredients in polish dry the nail which will promote peeling and splitting. The nail is made up of many very thin layers, if you use a coarse nail file or emery board it will separate the layers making some split. The splits actually look like small fish scales under magnification. Water will absorb into the splits (nails actually can absorb up to 30% of their normal weight), the water then pushes the "scales" apart even more which eventually will cause the nail to "flake". So what you can do to stop further damage is: get a smooth nail buffer (so smooth you can not feel any grit) use it around the free edge of the nail to "plasticize" the free edge which will seal the "scales", after you buff it gently massage some almond oil into the nail a couple times a day. I find right before bedtime works best as it has all night to soak in. Then when you decide to polish make sure you use a good base coat which will keep the nail from drying out too much, and it helps polish adhere.
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

Try painting your nails a few times, making sure you wait for them to harden completely, and then put a clear polish over them.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #7
Opteron_Man

i HATE appllying nail polish! but i LOVE having it on. i once thought that is would be more simple to just bang my nails with a hammer. lol
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
honeythorn

Don't forget to try out some nail art when you have mastered and overcome the problem! I have just done a nail art course and it was loads of fun. I have holly leaves on mine at the moment
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Azura Mistryl

Do you have any pics, Honeythorn? I would love to see some, and give it a try myself!

Funny, I always find that having a basecoat on makes the nail polish come off faster! But I always put on a clear top coat, just not a base coat....
Azura Mistryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
honeythorn

I don't have any pics of the holly leaves, but I can post one of some of the others I did on my course . Here:

As much of the board as I could fit in

]

My favourite, the little Cthulu one

]
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
Azura Mistryl

Man those are amazing! I wish I had steadier hands so I could do something like that! The closest I could ever get is fake nails, or paying a professional. I can barely do a french manicure! I am so jealous!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
honeythorn

Haha, thanks

Well those were false nails glued to a board. If I want long nails ( mine barely grow ) I simply buy a pack of plain false nails, paint them in a design of choice ( stick them to a board with blutack or double sided tape to keep them steady ) and then leave them to dry overnight before glueing them on. Easy
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
Azura Mistryl

I don't suppose you could send some of those finished nails over this way, could ya. Or, for that matter, some of that awesome nail painting skill?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
honeythorn

Haha, it isn't hard! Just practice on some cheap false nails until you can keep your hand steady
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
Ideality

Holy crap Honeythorn! Those are awesome!

But, back to the subject at hand... I second Cayca has to say. Nails are made up of protein so having a good source of protein in your diet can also help you with healthier nails. I cant post links yet but do a google search with 'eating protein, nail care' and the first few pages gets you some good urls with nail care and vitamins and minerals.

Best Regards,
Neil
Ideality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
Wormboy

If you're looking for cheap good nailpolish (looks around awkwardly) Hot Topic's nailpolish is a bitch to get off. Just make sure you use smooth and even coats. One nice coat is also much better than 435466987 coats. ^_^

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #17
emeraldlonewoulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I don't have any pics of the holly leaves, but I can post one of some of the others I did on my course . Here:

As much of the board as I could fit in

]

My favourite, the little Cthulu one

]

and you are worried about factory layoffs WHY??!!! you have some mad skill there, girl. I do the whole painting fake nails and gluing them on thing too, but i have no where near the skill with detail you have. Nail artists don't make crappy money, i can tell you. they get tips, too.

You should seriously sell sets on ebay or etsy or something. Those are really good!

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
honeythorn

Aw thanks guys !