Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
voodoowitchdr

Masks

I just did some research on the mask that I'm wearing in my profile picture. I figured that it would have no cultural significance seeing as I bought it in a mini mall and it had a "made in Indonesia" sticker on it. I finally looked up indonesian masks on wikipedia and found that they are from Bali Indonesia, and are called barong masks. I then looked that up on google and found that I have a reproduction of a traditional Bali barong monkey mask that is incredible close to the real thing. I will post a link to the real deal below. I am now in search of a real Bali Barong.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26um%3D1

Do you like masks? What kind? Why?
voodoowitchdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
RozzVanian

I love masks. Halloween masks, of course. I have this Michael Myers mask which I have customized to look battle-damaged, with all of the nicks and scratches he received in the first two movies.
Who's that walking in the streets?
-Christian Death
RozzVanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
voodoowitchdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzVanian View Post
I love masks. Halloween masks, of course. I have this Michael Myers mask which I have customized to look battle-damaged, with all of the nicks and scratches he received in the first two movies.
Nice, I hate the third movie though, it ruined the theme for no reason. My favorite two are 4 and 5.

I like wood carved masks, I have a thing for tribal artifacts and cultural pieces and such.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Cicero

From living around Asia my family's got quite a collection of tribal masks, including a lot from Bali and other parts of Indonesia. Unfortunately they're all at my mother's house in Malaysia except for one Papua New Guinean mask which hangs on my wall. I'll see if I can be bothered taking a photo of it.

Oh and we also have some Venetian ones from Venice. Now THOSE are amazing.

And my sister collects regular halloween masks which range from really fucking stupid to pretty damn cool.

Yeah, I quite like masks.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
voodoowitchdr

Cicero, how close do you think my repro is to the traditional mask?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
ZyklonB

This reminds me of http://www.somethingawful.com/d/come...-ghostmask.php on SA
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
StarredLeaf

I agree with Cicero. Venetian masks are amazingly gorgeous.
StarredLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
voodoowitchdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarredLeaf View Post
I agree with Cicero. Venetian masks are amazingly gorgeous.
They are beautiful, but I'm more into tribal ritual masks, etc. I'm not sure why I like that kind of stuff so much.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
StarredLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoowitchdr View Post
They are beautiful, but I'm more into tribal ritual masks, etc. I'm not sure why I like that kind of stuff so much.
That's cool. We used to have masks similar to tribal masks hung in my parents' living room and they used to creep me out.
StarredLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
Cicero

Quote:
Cicero, how close do you think my repro is to the traditional mask?
Depends on the material and craftsmanship. Also, the one in your profile pic isn't painted or anything, and most Balinese masks are extremely colourful. Makes it seem a bit less authentic.

Really though, I'm no expert. For all I know it's an exact copy of a real one.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #11
Jack again

I have a Malaysian mask from when my dad lived there. ( He spent a large part of his childhood there ).
Jack again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 AM   #12
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack again View Post
I have a Malaysian mask from when my dad lived there. ( He spent a large part of his childhood there ).
Cool, what part did he live in? I'm guessing the mask is from Borneo... Peninsular Malaysia was pretty boring for stuff like that, aside from the odd Dayak rip-off.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
voodoowitchdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Depends on the material and craftsmanship. Also, the one in your profile pic isn't painted or anything, and most Balinese masks are extremely colourful. Makes it seem a bit less authentic.

Really though, I'm no expert. For all I know it's an exact copy of a real one.
I know that it isn't a real one, but I think it was made in Bali. It was probably part of a mass produced set of them that some company paid for. I really want to get a real one though. Hopefully I'll go to Bali some day and get it in person. My cousin is going to be an exchange student in Malaysia, so I want to see if she'll bring one of their masks back for me. Since Malaysia is close to Indonesia, I'll give her a picture of a real Bali mask and see if whe runs into one by chance.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
Catch

Guess the mascarade masks are nice... with feathers.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
voodoowitchdr

In the link I posted above there is also a picture of a mask for Sri Lanka, does anyone know anything about that kind of mask?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Jack again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Cool, what part did he live in? I'm guessing the mask is from Borneo... Peninsular Malaysia was pretty boring for stuff like that, aside from the odd Dayak rip-off.
He lived in Bukit Ibam. My grandad worked as a chemical engineer for the Rompin Mining Co. Apparently, it was a great place to grow up.
Jack again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Malice In Wonderland

I have what I guess is a not so authentic one that my aunty was given by a taxi driver in Sri Lanka, It's pretty much the same design as the picture there.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #18
Cicero

Quote:
I know that it isn't a real one, but I think it was made in Bali. It was probably part of a mass produced set of them that some company paid for. I really want to get a real one though. Hopefully I'll go to Bali some day and get it in person. My cousin is going to be an exchange student in Malaysia, so I want to see if she'll bring one of their masks back for me. Since Malaysia is close to Indonesia, I'll give her a picture of a real Bali mask and see if whe runs into one by chance.
Well yeah, I was just saying it's not exactly identical a real mask without being painted. If your cousin goes to Bali - which, by the way, is only one of MANY interesting places she could end up visiting while in Malaysia - all she has to do is step outside her hotel and there'll be masks to buy everywhere since they're popular tourist souvenirs. You won't even have to show her a photo, it's obvious from the moment you step off the plane how intrinsically Balinese those masks are, haha.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack again View Post
He lived in Bukit Ibam. My grandad worked as a chemical engineer for the Rompin Mining Co. Apparently, it was a great place to grow up.
Haha, I lived just a bit north of Bukit Ibam in Kuala Lipis. My dad worked as a mining engineer there before we moved to Kuala Lumpur, where my mum and sister still live and work today. Not a bad place to grow up at all, really.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #20
Anarasha

I like the variety of masks shown in The Phantom of the Opera.
I even made his Red Death mask and wore it for Halloween. I could upload it if you want me to?
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
voodoowitchdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
I like the variety of masks shown in The Phantom of the Opera.
I even made his Red Death mask and wore it for Halloween. I could upload it if you want me to?
Sure

10char
Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #22
Anarasha

Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #23
HavelockV

Ah, yes, the Phantom of the Opera is the root of my love of masks. There is a sort of primeval appeal about the art of concealment, of assuming another identity.

Predictably, my favorite masks are the elaborate Venetian examples that are so prevalent during the Carnivale season. There is such a grand tradition of artistry underlying their creation. On the other end of the spectrum, funerary masks, such as the ones used in ancient cultures in Egypt, the Roman Empire, and South America, are also fascinating to me. They represent cultures steeped in mythology and symbolism, and demonstrate the extent to which people in those days would prepare for death.

Anarasha: That seems to be a very respectable recreation of the Red Death mask used in the 2004 film. That being said, I still much prefer the stage version of the musical to the movie.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #24
Delkaetre

I am exceptionally fond of masks. I have a silver Bauta-style Venetian mask, and a plain full face harlequin. Both are masculine, as it seems so much closer to genderless than the feminine fripperies sold so many places. There's also the green leather Lady- a decorative mask on my wall- the Kabuki themed mask from Cirque du Soleil, the black Highwayman half masks, the feathered half mask with the peacock fringe, and the assortment of veils I seem to have misplaced.

A mask allows you to be Other. You can become something else and do not need to be tied to your personal convictions or societal obligations, separating you from humanity by hiding that which we recognise most as human- the face. They are used by inquisitors, witch doctors, hedonists, heretics, rebels, and many others that seek in some way or another to push boundaries.
There is something about them that I love.
And a mask allows you to free yourself from mirrors. I feel so sick, sometimes, of how hard it is to escape reflections. I don't want to see myself everywhere. A mask is freedom from this, though admittedly only one that can be worn out and about on certain occasions.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote