Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #76
Saya

I think Anne Rice deserves far more blame, and that fucking Dracula movie with Gary Oldman, but I'm inclined to think that Bela nudged us a bit in that direction. And Let The Right One In was worth it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #77
TheManWhoWouldBeDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I think Anne Rice deserves far more blame, and that fucking Dracula movie with Gary Oldman, but I'm inclined to think that Bela nudged us a bit in that direction. And Let The Right One In was worth it.
I really like Oldman's Dracula. It has the sort of ostentatious feel of a stage play about it. And Tom Waits as Renfield gives it bonus points. But yes, I agree that Let The Right One In is a good movie. I haven't seen its Americanized cousin, though, which was supposed to have wider appeal.
TheManWhoWouldBeDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #78
Saya

The movie was stupid, it castrated Dracula as a poor misunderstood creature. In the original book, he is a monster, and its implied he is a rapist, or at least a symbol for one. But now, no, Mina wanted it. She was a cock tease and he loved her.

I meant the book Let The Right One In, the movies I can take or leave. I liked the American version better though.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #79
TheManWhoWouldBeDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I meant the book Let The Right One In, the movies I can take or leave. I liked the American version better though.
I read the book. Other than adding a pederast bent to the Renfield character, it didn't offer much that wasn't in the movie. Also, the female vampire in that book was a tragic figure. She was also Dracula. There are more than a few parallels there. Dracula wasn't entirely a monster in Stoker's novel.

On a different but related note, films based on books don't need to be verbatim visual recitations of the novel. In fact, it's better if they're not as long as they're well done. Then the film offers something different. If it's the same exact thing, why bother with both? Either read the book or watch the film. When the content is different in some way, it can provide incentive to take in both. It can also be disasterous if done poorly, but that's a risk that the filmmaker and/or novelist runs when trying to make a worthwhile piece.
TheManWhoWouldBeDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #80
Saya

The pedo aspect of LTROI wasn't just the only thing that the movie left out, it also left out the monster he turned into at the end, they left out many characters, such as Tommy and his family, the American version included the police officer but completely dropped Victoria and co., it left out Eli's origins but included her gender ambiguity without explaining it. I guess it was a nod to people who read the book but it must have been extremely confusing if you hadn't read it. The American version hinted to it but never showed the scar on her crotch. Overall the book covered so much more and so the characters were more involving.

And yes, Eli was a tragic figure, in that something bad happened to her and we do sympathize with her, but she herself is not emotional. She kills easily and without remorse, she's awesome and cute when she's with Oskar and terrifying at the same time, a great balance of the classic vampire with the modern tragic hero vampire. There's no torture of "I have to be with Oskar!" She's protective of him, and sometimes a little tender, but its so subtle and more believable. Hakan starts out as a sympathetic monster as well, but that doesn't go well for him. He take the "Dracula as a rapist" symbol and goes nuts with it.

And I never complained that the books weren't enough like the novel, but due to time constraint and budget and what they could get away with (They can't show Hakan the way he was at the end), it wasn't nearly as good as the book.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #81
Spookycreep

Here's one no one mentioned. I'm not sure you'd call it a goth film but I think it at least deserves being considered. Rocy Horror. Is this goth? It does have goths in it, both classical_ the "handy man" and the maid_ and at the end of the film they even become cyber.
Besides that it has a flying castle in it, what goth wouldn't want one of those?
Spookycreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #82
Rigemortis

Yeah no one mentioned sleepy hollow or corpse bride or the new alice in wonderland , cmon people tim burton is fucking awesome.
Hmm also a sort of meh gothic film would be Gypsy 83.
and in the Crow Soundtrack is not only has The Cure but also NIN and Pantera and Rage Against the Machine (the last two arent gothic but still worthy of mentioning)
Rigemortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #83
Expecto Sherlock

Dracula (1931)
Expecto Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #84
ladymegster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonPythonidae View Post
That "Tale of Two Sisters", is that a German/Dutch movie? If so I loved that. I might be thinking of something else though . .
it's korean. and totally rockin. korea puts out some great horror.

Also good korean film goths would love THIRST. vampire love story. sexy raw and bloody.

and no one mentioned REPO! GENETIC OPERA!!!! tops of the list most definitely!!! i mean the lead character's wardrobe is almost entirely gothic doll style. Sarah Brightman with mechanical eyes, hot graverobbers who sell drugs to rich people addicted to surgery, stylized as a rock opera.. this is the perfect movie

Last edited by ladymegster; 05-04-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
ladymegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #85
Mandragora Dragon

Gothic-Ken Russell 1986
The Hunger-Tonny Scott 1983
Death in Venice-Luchino Visconti 1971
Leptirica-Djordje Kadijevic 1973
Sveto mesto-Djordje Kadijevic 1990
House of Usher-Roger Corman 1960
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie, des Grauens-F. W. Murnau 1920
Suspiria-Dario Argento 1977
Wild Strawberries-Ingmar Bergman 1957
Mandragora Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #86
Spooky Spencer

Everything Tim Burton does has one foot in goth. His remake of Dark Shadows will likely make a future appearance on this list.

In the meantime...

Beetlejuice
The Addams Family (& Values)
Young Sherlock Holmes
Coraline
The Dark Crystal
Dark City
Nightmare Before Christmas
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Hellboy
Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)

I was told Van Helsing was horrible. Was I misinformed?
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #87
Hydrodyssodia

No. Van Helsing was terrible and filled with all the shades of color shit can take.

BTW, I just saw the Crow, and I'm not getting the hate. It's goofy as FUCK, and filled with all sorts of cliches, but it's also pretty endearing and entertaining, and the fights were fun.
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #88
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrodyssodia View Post
No. Van Helsing was terrible and filled with all the shades of color shit can take.

BTW, I just saw the Crow, and I'm not getting the hate. It's goofy as FUCK, and filled with all sorts of cliches, but it's also pretty endearing and entertaining, and the fights were fun.
I couldn't stop laughing at the bad guy's line "Caw! Caw! Bang! Fuck, I'm dead!"
Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #89
Mandragora Dragon

I also like Tim Burton's short movie "Vincent".
Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #90
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandragora Dragon View Post
That's one of the extras on "Nightmare Before Christmas," isn't it?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #91
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Spencer View Post
I couldn't stop laughing at the bad guy's line "Caw! Caw! Bang! Fuck, I'm dead!"
How many people in Crow makeup have a quoted that line at? I was such a bastard.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #92
Mandragora Dragon

Quote:
No, it's older(1982). I saw his short movie "Frankenweenie" from 1984. It is about Frankenstein-monster pet dog, and very good. Now he is filming new version.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #93
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, it's older(1982).
Mandragora Dragon, that is incorrect. Spooky Spencer had it right ... "Vincent" IS one of the extras on "Nightmare Before Christmas" as you can see at this link to the product at Amazon.

As it happens, "Frankenweenie" (which I first recorded on VHS tape off of HBO a long time ago) is also one of the extras on "Nightmare Before Christmas".

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #94
Mandragora Dragon

Ben, check that on imdb.com
Old 08-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #95
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Ben, check that on imdb.com
Actually, you're both right. "Vincent" does predate "Nightmare" but it was thrown on to at least one of the "Nightmare" DVDs as an extra along with "Frakenweenie" (at least on my copy it is).
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #96
Ben Lahnger

I wasn't talking about when it was made. I was talking about the fact that Mandragora Dragon was incorrect in correcting you. You didn't talk about when it was made. You just simply stated that it was included as an extra on the "Nightmare" DVD, and that is right. It doesn't matter when it was made - your statement was a fact.

You were never talking about when the short film was made at all, and the correcting comment was irrelevant to what you posted. You should not have been corrected.

It was as if you said the sky was blue, and Mandragora Dragon said "Nuh uh! It used to rain a lot where I grew up!"

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #97
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
You should not have been corrected.It was as if you said the sky was blue, and Mandragora Dragon said "Nuh uh! It used to rain a lot where I grew up!"
I see your point, but in context, the fact that I mentioned the extra, I can see where MD may have thought that *I* had thought it was made exclusively for the DVD, and I think he thought I was making that point, not merely mentioning it's where I'd seen it in case someone else was looking for it. No harm, no foul.

Unless, of course, you think we should throw down in a grueling death match, winner take all and the loser banished to a subterranean hell of the winner's choosing to listen to political speeches for all of eternity? Could be fun...
Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #98
Vince

Quote:

Unless, of course, you think we should throw down in a grueling death match, winner take all and the loser banished to a subterranean hell of the winner's choosing to listen to political speeches for all of eternity? Could be fun...
This IS Gothic.net. Where even the tiniest disagreement can turn into a ten page flamefest....so...yes. Deathmatch! Nao.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #99
Ben Lahnger

Actually, I'm just saying he's guilty of picking at a nit that didn't deserve or need to be picked. He/she should have seen by now (even though your meaning was crystal clear to me in your original post and I don't share your "benevolent understanding" of how he/she could have misunderstood) what you meant, and said "Oh, never mind ... carry on."

And Vince is absolutely correct - much lesser fodder has been chewed on here for a massive flame war. But I'm not asking for that ... I'm just righting a wrong.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #100
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
This ISDeathmatch! Nao.
Two goths enter, one goth leaves...!