Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Kristin

Back to school shopping! Help needed

My 15yo has outgrown her old tomboy style and really needs some new clothes. She loves the Victorian style and steampunk, but I have a feeling she's going to feel a little awkward changing her style so quickly, at first. We're talking about a girl who would scream when you approached her with lace, ribbon, or embellishment of any kind, and now suddenly she's ready to change her hair (it's been up in a ponytail every day since 4th grade) and even asked me about eyeliner this evening. I am happy to help her find her new look, but it's so unlike her--you'd have to know her in person to understand what I'm saying.

Anyway, I asked her to find some things she likes on the Internet, and she came up with these:

BUNCHED GOTH SKIRT
TAILORED DRESS
GOTH VEST
CORSET SKIRT
LONG SLEEVED TOP

So I need some advice on a few staples to get her, to wear with a few things like this so I'm not spending a fortune. Jeans, obviously, no problem there. I can sew, and I have a pattern for a pirate shirt with poofy sleeves. Maybe some basic t-shirts in black, white, tan, and brown?

My mom also got her a gorgeous black pirate coat for her birthday, as well as a faux corset (just a tank top that looks like a corset), but she hasn't worn the top yet because she doesn't yet have anything that would match underneath it.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
NightmareInShiningArmour

Your daughter has a good taste in clothing! I like those
I'm very much a guy who likes corsets (on girls) and the Victorian style looks beautiful.

Just curious? How come your daughter isn't on these forums?
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
chelseagirl

I would say get her some nice babydoll tops. Target has a lot of nice ones, I LOVE this one, it goes well with a lot of things:
http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Black-...3ABlack&page=1

and this one:
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...tegory_id=7657

Also, maybe a few nice but inexpensive buttondown shirts and a pencil skirt.
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...tegory_id=1707
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...tegory_id=1707

Here's some other stuff your daughter may like.

http://www.pyramidcollection.com/ite...ageNo=3&pos=33

http://www.pyramidcollection.com/ite...ageNo=1&pos=62

And for cheaper options:

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...tegory_id=7658

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...tegory_id=7658

As far as under the corset tank, probably a tight fitting babydoll top would go well.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Your daughter has a good taste in clothing! I like those
I'm very much a guy who likes corsets (on girls) and the Victorian style looks beautiful.

Just curious? How come your daughter isn't on these forums?
She got her taste from me!

I've mentioned this site to her a few times, but she spends most of her free time on the piano. And soon school is starting, I don't imagine she'll have much free time then. If she did join, she and I would probably get really annoying making cheap shots at each other, anyway. LOL
Old 08-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Kristin

Chelseagirl, we're both really liking your suggestions! I have a few tops like the Target one, I wear them all the time with and without my corsets.

She really loves the long-sleeved poofy tops from Newport News. I often shop there too!

How could I have forgotten to post this one: STEAMPUNK VEST It's her favorite, and she wants it with the Newport News white top.

*I* need that steampunk skirt! Wow. Only 20 more pounds to lose, and then I can go shopping... LOL
Old 08-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Tell her to start DIYing and help her with it. Not only will it be extremely cheap, but she'll eventually get exactly what she wants plus an extra sense of pride in accomplishment.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Kristin

She's been DIYing some steampunk jewelry but is taking a break from that while we search for some larger gears. I haven't had any luck there.

I'm going to sew a few of her vests, and she'll watch me then to learn how it's done.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #8
Barghest

You should totally teach her how to sew. My mom taught me how to sew. and couldn't get me to stop, and I ended up in art school for fashion design.

I would also suggest a plain black "broomstick" skirt, of the sort that can be found at many "hippy"ish stores. They're lightweight, usually cheap and can be layered over other skirts and tucked up for a steampunky bustle effect.

Also, vests are big this year. you should be able to find some nice ones at places like H and M or Macy's, or even maybe target. Though making them is a great option too because then you can choose any fabric you want.

Also, you might want to find some comfy, slim cut trouser-y pants without a lot of embelishment. (i've found great ones at H and M) Then if she dosen't want to jump right into dressing up, she can put them with a fuller ruffly shirt or something but they're still going to be different and unique from the jeans her friends are wearing.

Also, maybe some camisoles with lace detailing on them that she could layer over a babydoll t-shirt would be a nice basic to pick up.

You might also want to consider some bermuda length shorts or knicker type shorts (think like, the sort of style you'd see little kids in Charles Dickenson novels wearning) For the steampunk look, these are a good alternative to skirts on days when, for whatever reason, a skirt is just too impractical.

I find great stuff that's gothy, steampunky and CHEAP at Forever21 and H and M, and sometimes even Target depending on who their Designer of the Month is. Also, don't over look thrift stores and military surplus stores. I found some awesome WW1 spats, vintage goggles, and a vintage compass on a wristband, at a millitary surplus store that are awesomely steampunk, and add flavor to even basic outfits.

I really like the steampunk look, and my personal secret to making it work and be comfortable to wear is to have a large wardrobe of basics that can be layerd together. Then, i have several unique peices (vests, skirts, boots...) that I can add to an outfit to give it flavor. So, when buying stuff, don't forget the basics, and make sure they fit really flatteringly and are comfortable. Even the best, coolest peices of clothing need a "stage" so to speak, of basic clothing, to really look their best.
Barghest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #9
Kristin

Barghest, I always thought fashion design would be so much fun! I love sewing, but am not good at designing things. My mom taught me how to sew too, but only a couple of years ago. LOL I'm actually pretty good at it. I have a pattern for a pirate costume which includes bermuda-type pants, a peasant top, the vest which can be altered as a corset, and a pirate coat. All stuff that she badly wants. I'm going to start on a vest for her this week, and have her watch so she can learn how to start sewing herself.

She has about 20 dozen broomstick skirts - okay, 2! She loves them.

I never would have thought of the military surplus store! We have one here. We also live about a half hour from Virginia City, Nevada, which is a tourist trap with tons of antique stores that ALWAYS have something she wants. She freaks out whenever we go there. So do I actually. Too bad they're usually overpriced.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
NightmareInShiningArmour

I love that Steampunk Vest
Maybe your daughter could try a kind of... Victorian crossed Steampunk style!? New style
Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #11
Kristin

That vest is great, isn't it? I love it too. I think that vests are going to be her signature thing when she really gets into this. She still makes a face when I mention her trying a corset. That's okay, more corsets for me! Those are MY thing.

I think you're right. She'll see something Victorian but decidedly feminine and it won't send her screaming. She'll be like, "Ooh, I can dress that down and make it look steampunk. Then it will be COOL." And meanwhile I'm thinking about how I can dress it up with leather. LOL
Old 08-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
NightmareInShiningArmour

You have a cool family. haha.
Maybe she could do a corset look on some things, vests, coats etc. Like... Sew on some D rings in a corset fashion (heaps parallel to each other) and put ribbon or something similar through. Like how people have the corset piercings but on a vest instead. I reckon that would look quite interesting.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Kristin

That's a cool idea. I was trying something similar to that but with grommets instead, and failed miserably. The D rings are a great idea, and probably much easier.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
That vest is great, isn't it? I love it too. I think that vests are going to be her signature thing when she really gets into this. She still makes a face when I mention her trying a corset. That's okay, more corsets for me! Those are MY thing.
Well, that's actually good. I think if she does come around, she should wait until she's a bit older for corsets.

And your picks are great for formal events as well as important things like dinners or award ceremonies.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Well, that's actually good. I think if she does come around, she should wait until she's a bit older for corsets.
Oh, I agree. I wear mine with a top under them so they're not revealing, but they'd still look too adult on her. However, a vest would be a good look for her.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #16
Kristin

Oh BTW NightmareInShiningArmour, do you know where the D rings might be sold? I'm loving this idea more and more by the minute. So many possibilities with just a few basic tees and tanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #17
meezerosity

Fabric section of wal*mart or JoAnn fabrics by the notions, you can get a pack of silver D rings in various sizes.
meezerosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #18
TheBloodEternity

She shouldn't wear corsets while she's young because she's still growing.

Also, adopt me, please?

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #19
TheBloodEternity

You can find some amazing things at Goodwill if you shop there often. I have a very nice shirt that I can't really describe that I will post a picture up here of later that I got for, hmm, $2? And as Godslayer said, DIY, though you should spend money on a couple of things like boots/shoes and such.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
Oh BTW NightmareInShiningArmour, do you know where the D rings might be sold? I'm loving this idea more and more by the minute. So many possibilities with just a few basic tees and tanks.
Well, I'd say, try eBay or places that have that sort of thing. I have no idea. I haven't bought any... yet. I'm wanting to go shopping with mum when I get about $200+ so that I can just buy a whole heap of things for DIY things. In fact I'd probably need more.

Anyway, yeah, I don't know where to get 'em.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #21
NightmareInShiningArmour

EDIT:I has link (Assuming you're in America).
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/25-D-RINGS-25...QQcmdZViewItem

(couldn't use the Edit function, was more than 5 mins.)