Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:50 AM   #251
Soul_Immortal

In other words DN, your mod-ship is lacking it only being seen in the past WEEK. Count on poorly-active admins to take care of us by sending you, eh?

If that is the case, please start answering our questions.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #252
WeaselBoy

Well, this is all highly amusing.

Par for the course, actually.
WeaselBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #253
tenet_2012

I love you sig, WeaselBoy!

Bwah hahahaha!

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #254
Soul_Immortal

O_o Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #255
secretboy

Uh, Dirtnap. You do realize that there are a lot of strong and vibrant messageboard communities that have smaller messageboards that core members use.

It seems very suspicious that as soon as someone comments on you, you ban them like this. The reason supposedly is for starting another messageboard and advertising it here -- even though you asked that user to stop and they did.

What gives? This looks arbitrary and spiteful. I am hoping it is not, but every impression so far has looked like this. You apparently have not posted anything in order to remain impartial and to give the impression of impartiality -- but your very first post to these boards was to attack someone -- someone who may have gotten the wrong impression, but they got that wrong impression because there was no communication.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #256
Manimal

Holy moly... is it hot in here or is it just me?

This kinda reminds me of how the french revolution got started...

Oh and Soul_ ... I looooooove your avatar. Hawtness!
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #257
rockandrose

I think DirtNap may have felt that his authority as a moderator was being mocked!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #258
julietbathory

Jules 3, the oncoming resurrection

First and foremost, my thanks to those who have posted their support. You guys have flushed out the truth straight from the horse’s mouth and I thank you.

I’d also like to mention that I find it hilarious that this has been moved to whining. It appears that the game of hide and seek continues, but not for long.

To quote Dirt Nap ~

“I don't get the post reports. I suggested people report posts and then ignore trolls and such while they are being dealt with, rather than getting into juvenile flame wars. It was a matter of sound policy advice. When it comes to moderation, I call them like I see them, according to the guidelines I was given. Some people have been given latitude during the unexpected transition, but a lot of long-time members said that they wanted more moderation and control over the activities of destructive new members. More trolls and such have been removed recently than immediately after the unexpected transition and subsequent improvement in the board software. I expect this to continue. JB is welcomed to leave, but not welcomed to use the boards to spam for her supposedly better future board, and certainly not welcomed to try to collect email lists to try to undermine people's participation here. It's pretty simple really, and it didn't come without warning.”

Let me make this easy for you Dirt Nap. Last time I checked, this wasn’t a scene in Minority Report. You can’t ban a member for what they may ‘potentially’ do. So all you have to do is quote the post in which I give a URL to a Gothic net knockoff as you call it to prove my guilt. Since no post like that exists, you don’t have the right to ban me.

And from the bottom of my heart Dirt Nap, I thank you for making my case for me.

Awaiting my immediate reinstatement…

Jules
julietbathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #259
mortalitas incomitatus

ha, i'm still here this morning, was half expecting mr DN to have banned me after my last post.
good to see you're still standing up for yourself jules, but why a third registration, what happened to the second one, did that get bocked too?
i'm suprised DM has not erased all your posts.

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #260
julietbathory

He banned the Jules ID as well. He has no grounds to ban me and I won't sit back and take this. I have as much right to be here as he does. I will continue to do all I can to get reinstated as Juliet Bathory. I would also appreciate what any of the other Moderators have to say on this matter.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #261
Jane13

Same here, Xng. Actually, I'm surprised I haven't been banned for my Scarface pseudo-exit thing... *shifty eyes*
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #262
Circle V

Nor do I. It isn't right to tell someone that they're doing something wrong, have them correct it, and ban them anyway out of spite. I have yet to see anyone (other than DirtNap, of course) who thinks that Juliet deserved to be punished.

Furthermore, I suspect that one of my own posts has been deleted from another thread... I won't go into further detail to avoid getting this post deleted as well. I could be mistaken (perhaps I closed the window before posting or something) but I doubt it. The post, while I can see why it was deleted, was not offensive in any way. I would have appreciated, at the very least, an explanation. It's not like the powers that be have anything better to do, unless you count crucifying Juliet as such an activity.

I may not be keeping up with the current situation very well, but I have yet to see anything positive come from the recent surge in mod/admin involvement.

Last edited by Circle V; 11-23-2005 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Missing word
Circle V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #263
Circle V

I try to restrict my death threats to offline life. Any I make online are obviously made in jest. This isn't a defense, Xnguela, as I know (hope) that you weren't talking about me.

I agree that the boards could use some mods that would work to get rid of trolls and other unsavory critters. Thus far, the current mods have done a piss-poor job.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 PM   #264
julietbathory

Thanks guys.

I'm also curious, if Dirt Nap doesn't receive bad post reports, under what authority does he ban troublemakers?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #265
julietbathory

As per DirtNap's earlier advice, I have reported him for a bad post to the admin in regards to this matter. Thanks again for the advice as to handle situations like this DirtNap. It has proven invaluable.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM   #266
mortalitas incomitatus

i wa sthinking about doin' that but tought i might get banned aswell.
glad someone has more balls than me.

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #267
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
However, I would like to point out that it's not entirely "The Mods' " fault. MrMaelstrom, for one, busts his ass around here. That man DOES have a private life. And E_e has been doing admirably! What seems to be happening is that we all have different goals in mind.
I realize that. I should probably use a different word... 'mod' includes people I don't wish to malign.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #268
edible_eye

juliet -

for what it's worth, this issue is between you and dirtnap - who is both a moderator and co-owner of the site, as far as i understand. asking for other moderators to chime in does nothing in terms of either helping or hurting what's happening here.

one suggestion i do have - bring your argument away from the open forum. demanding "immediate reinstatement" here on the boards seems, to me, a losing battle - especially if each of your subsequent names is banned upon arrival.

you have a way with words - use them to your advantage.

Last edited by edible_eye; 11-24-2005 at 06:58 AM.
edible_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #269
MrMaelstrom

I believe the moderator DirtNap to be quite right in his/her assessments of the situation.

Lets see: at least two members got involved in flame wars with trolls (herself and Xnguela.

Now, I've been around these boards often enough to tell apart members from "users".

If DirtNap is a recent arrival, it's quite obvious s/he won't be aware of such distinctions.

That's why Xnguela was made quiet for a while. S/he wasn't sure what was Xnguela's role in the flame war. Xnguela just got caught up in the middle.

DirtNap did the sensible thing and shut them all down (saints ans sinners together).

Kind of "kill'em all and let goth sort'em out".
DN was made aware of Xnguela's contribution to this site and things were resolved.

I have to admit, if I were DN, and I banned a member by mistake, or just because s/he was part of the problem at the time (and I have to admit that Xnguela's constant replying to trolls made our cleaning job a hell of a lot harder), I would reinstate her without flinching, but, if I didn't even have time to breathe between being made aware of what was going on and the member and supporters screaming blue murder (like they did on this very thread), I would probably not be so inclined to do it with the exact same predisposition....

I'm not always online. If I happen to be the only one who can ban/reinstate people and I don't do anything for a couple of days (because I simply haven't been online), members might just start screaming at me and my unfairness because they forgot that we do try to get away from this some of the time.

Next thing you know, we come back to find a revolution going on, people leaving and threatning to leave.....

I would have felt a bit like Moses coming down from the top of the mountain and finding that everybody started orgies and worshipping golden idols.

This is not what happened, mind you, but the feeling is the same.

J.B. can easily stand up for herself better than most people here.
If I happen to reinstate JB, then it is because I want to. It is because I feel I should.

But it will never happen because someone said I HAVE TO. No matter how right they may be, it will turn me into a stubborn son of a bitch. And no one will be reinstated as long as they may feel that it happened because they coerced me. (this is how I would behave).

Xnguela was made to be quiet for 2 days. It was a honest mistake (I believe).

It didn't deserve the kind of reaction it sparked.
It's internet, people.

Yes, we're good friends and buddies and all that happy shit, but no one died, no one is going to. Relax, explain things to the powers that be, and wait patiently for a bit before screaming at the top of your lungs about how unfair it all is.

Members were asked not to reply to trolls. They were not forbidden.

Flaming as always been an option for members (especially when moderators are absent), and an everyday dish 'round here. sure it went too far in many cases, but it was still always a viable option.

If anything, I only object that JB wasn't made "quiet" for a bit instead of completely banned.

If anyone wants to do some searching on this site, you'll find there is this troll, called El Borak who still being made "quiet", and s/he was an arsehole.

Juliet is not, and she was banned at the snap of a finger (it seems).

Some consistency would be appreciated. I would only suggest that DirtNap check with other moderators the handles of the people to be banned, as we have been around longer and have a clearer picture of who is trouble, and who is trying (even if unsuccessfully to control trouble). Xnguela is a perfect example of this.

I would also like members to not bitch and whine so fast when something happens. Give us time to take notice and do something before you accuse any of us of being an arsehole.

On another note, as well as asking that members use alot more often the ignore button, I'd like them to use the REPUTATION button a lot more.

It wouold give any outsider and any unaware moderator the reality of someone's standing on this site by its peers (or so it seems to me).

People aren't coming here for the literature ('cause right now, there isn't any).

They aren't coming here for me (although they fucking well should).

They are coming here to be around eachother. So show other members how right and wrong you think them to be.

USE THE REPUTATION BUTTON. LET'S SEE WHO IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO THIS SITE.

overandout
Old 11-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #270
MrMaelstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Like I said, I hate having to censor myself but that is, apparently, the new gothic.net!

Sorry, X, but you're wrong.

Before, this site gave you the advantage of rewriting what you said. So you censored yourself. this leads to a lot of people shouting out, and later erasing things they are ashamed of.

Now, it's a bit more like real life. You speak and it is spoken. It is supposed to make people think a little more about what they are going to say before they say it.

I think it is going to work.

Give us and give yourselves a chance, m'kay?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #271
Disfunction

Well said, Mael.
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #272
Disfunction

*shifts uneasily in his chair*

This whole reputation thing looks as though I'm going to be getting my ass canned any day now.
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #273
InfectiousKiss

This is one of the more pointed and interesting thread discussions... Wish I had more time to incorporate myself into it.
InfectiousKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:34 PM   #274
tekajo

Mr Maelstrom. i ever tell you how much i dislike you?

ok not really....you level headed voice of fucking reason. Thanks.

i'm still looking for an answer to my question. Noticed that the old post designations are back...could this be a sign that something is actually going on behind the scenes?

Oh yeah, i dont know about anyone else, but i didnt spend my summer looking at that "Gothic.Net is down for maintanence" fucking graphic for nothing, i can't leave for too long.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #275
JulesJBJuliet

*little girl in front of static tv turns and says* "She's ba-ack."

Thanks Edible and Mr Maelstrom for your input. For the record I did use the contact admin link (twice for what it was worth since they probably went straight to DirtNap).

Mr Maelstrom, I’d like to work off your input first. On the surface this has reduced to a battle of wills, where it is obvious that DirtNap has the advantage of being able to ban me as I come in to defend myself and point out the facts to support my case. While I agree that his stubbornness has some part to play in this, it isn’t his primary reason for banning me. This point I will come back to. While I haven’t been warm and fuzzy in my responses, (I have been blunt and more importantly honest) his handling of this matter has only made me indignant, and off course I’m going to dig my heels in. So as far as the battle of wills is concerned, it is a stalemate. There are a lot of computers in this world and I have a lot of computers that I can access. But please understand I will not apologise for being right, and you will NEVER find a female on the face of this earth who would (we in fact tkae perverse pleasure in it). Nor will I be subservient and say “Please sir, can you let me back in. I promise to never question your authority again.” Not in my nature. However if he just acknowledged that he had indeed broken his own rules and moved on, he could have avoided all of this. But that was never going to happen and I can tell you why.

To quote Edible ~

“dirtnap - who is both a moderator and co-owner of the site,…”

DirtNap the co-owner. Ladies and Gents, while on the surface, a battle of wills raged, an undertow of numbers was in play. DirtNap’s priority is not to the integrity of this site, but to its numbers, that’s what he bought into. As a business owner myself, I am sure he did all the relevant market research before the sale, so he was well aware of all the ‘disgusting piss stuff’ before hand. The reason I was banned was because I posed a threat to the number of members to this site, (or so he thinks.) I suggested another forum be born. If I suggested something else, we wouldn’t be here having this tennis match of I debate, he bans. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I assume that the thread about the porn banners is a good indicator that the majority of high-participating members ignore the banners and come here for the people and the discussion. However they must be generating revenue ~ I can guess where, but I won’t spark that debate because it isn’t relevant here.

As DirtNap is a co-receiver of those funds, I think my analysis of the situation as a whole is accurate. As a businesswoman I appreciate a person’s right to make a living and I don’t question his methods, only his use of this charade to camouflage his true motives. By pointing this out I’m certain that it will only see this nic banned as well, but I am a truth-sayer at heart and to me that is more powerful than a man who can push a button.

Also as co-owner of the site, I can’t see why he wouldn’t have access to the bad post reports.

As for the use of the reputation button, I did use it, and before I was banned, I had a reputation of 1. Since I am new it goes to show that others do use it, but you are right, we should use it often on those who deserve it.

If anyone wants to contact me between nics, you can get me through msn messenger via ************ or email me at that address.

Until next nic but always the same

Jules

Last edited by DirtNap; 11-25-2005 at 11:16 PM.
JulesJBJuliet is offline   Reply With Quote