Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Senor_Sadomachism

Arrow Ideas Your Working On

Well... I thought I'd make a thread for posting your ideas on something your about to make. My apologies if there's already one made. I'll go first here goes.

My mom's teaching me how to hand embroider yourself, anyways I want to make these fingerless gloves out of black mittens and I will embroider the bones of your hands from the wrist up to the knuckles. The knuckles is where i'll be cutting. And I will embroider the bones in bright BRIGHT candy pink thread. And voila! Your own creepy rock star gloves. Wish I had a pic but just visualize it and tell me what you think. Hmm, maybe I'll do it glow in dark thread 0_0

-Maurice
Senor_Sadomachism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
invaders_say_ni

I'm currently working on this outfit which is sort of based on an outfit a character wears in one of my favorite fanfics. Yes, I am a nerd, thanks for asking. I also want to do some embroidery on one of my coats. I dunno what I want to put on it though, so it's more of a vague concept.
invaders_say_ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Tarkiss

Sports Coat

My current project is still simple but yet I am unsure of the how. I am going to take a sports coat and add spikes on the shoulders, and attach chains to it. Now the problem I am having is I am unsure how to add the chains to the coat. I know where and how I want them on the coat but its the how to attach them that is causing me grief. If anybody has ideas or knows some site I can look up, I would be grateful. So far I have found nothing on how to attach the chains...all I find it that its a good idea to modify old clothes with chains.

-Tark
Tarkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Encaitare

I've been working on a cyber-ish skirt for a couple of weeks, on and off. I took a pair of old patchwork jeans and converted them into a skirt with a panel of pink fishnet over lime green fabric in the back. Then I added bondage straps made of the same fabrics. I've been filling in some of the patchwork panels with fabric paint (hot pink or silver), and I painted one of the pockets in the back lime green with a biohazard symbol stencilled on it. I wasn't sure I'd like all the fabric paint, but it's growing on me. I'm probably going to stencil a gas mask on there, too, somehow. If anyone can think of a third stencil idea, I'd love to hear it, as I'm at somewhat of a loss.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Heatherzilla

I'm going to be sewing a top. I got the pattern ages ago and I've cut out all the pieces I just need to sew it all together. Also currently looking for lots of different cape patterns, I dunno why but I have a love of capes this week. They're just so dramatic and twirly and when I wear one people stare at me. Kinda childish but I like being the center of attention. BTW it should be you're not your in the topic title.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #6
Cayca

I'm working on a supporting bodice. I made jeans mock-up and and thought that it doesn't look that bad. So I tore it up in order to put some lining and more boning.
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Salmiakki

Tarkiss, maybe you could punch some metal eyelets into the coat and hook the chains through them? It's worked for me in the past, and the plus side is that you get to hit stuff with a hammer
Salmiakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
DarkHeartedDemoness

It's "you're".

The English lover in me was compelled to correct you.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
I'm working on a dress atm, actually. It's pale yellow with a while flower design on it (an unusual choice for me, but the fabric is sooo pretty). I'm actually hoping to get it done before I go to the movies tonight. Which isn't going to happen, sadly, but I can still hope.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Draconysius

I'm starting up a new patch jacket. 'Cept it's a vest. My mum was cleaning out her closet a week ago and was about to throw away this blue denim jacket when I snatched it. Anyway, I've cut off the sleeves already and I'm going to dye it black before I start patching. Since it's denim, all I have to do is iron-on things. Tee-hee! I'm probably going to dedicate the backside to UK Decay.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Minyaliel

I'm working on a knee- length skirt out of taffeta, linen and lace. It's inspired by rococo dresses. I'm really just modifying an old skirt I'd never been able to use anyway. So it's made out of a black base, with three layers. In the bottom layer I've inserted white linen panels so as to make a circle skirt and a deep red one in a brocadey fabric in front as a nifty detail, the next layer's the same only with white lace and leaving the front open, and then the top layer is a silk- like fabric draped up in a rococo style. I think it's going to look good...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

Heh, I feel small when you all talk about your projects, while I'm barely giving DIY a try with very small things.
I have two ideas for now, which are simple, but I like 'em.
One is to find a blazer that fits me. I think I can find one like the one Deathbecomesme showed me at Wal-mart, but in woman size. Then I'll let all my friends pin it and patch it with bands to which I agree with them, as well as writing in I think purple and/or red.
The other one is to buy a cheap pair of pants, put safety pins at the left side from hip to knee, rip the front of the right leg with some horizontal gashes wide open and stitch fishnets on the inside, and to finalize it I want a patch of Lacrimosa somewhere I haven't decided yet. Any ideas for the location of the patch?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I'm only working on my ponytail that will be dyed purple when it gets long enough.
The rest of my stuff I have to buy off the rack.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
OCD Insomnia

I tend to wear those long hippy skirts and my favorite one ripped from the hip down. I was thinking or putting a narrow triangular patch to loosen it up and give it some color since it is white by buying a tiedye kit and using bright greens, blues, and purples. I'm excited.
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #15
Senor_Sadomachism

OH MA GEE! So far I've heard some really creative ideas A costume from a fiction character, I would've never thought of that! Godslayer Jillian c'mon don't feel bad, I'm just a freshman in High school and I'm taking Fashion Construction so I'm just beginner in making your own stuff so technically I SUCK. that was way off topic but I'm just saying everyone is at least good at something. I get my ideas by either looking at other garments and try to change it a little, or myself
Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 AM   #16
Cicero

I left my precious sewing machine with my family in Malaysia, and have yet to buy another one here. When I do I'll be sewing my next 'big project'. It'll be two outfits, both to be worn by myself on different occasions. The theme: Blackadder III.

I'm basically just indulging in my love for Blackadder and my obsession with obtaining wearable 18th century clothing. I couldn't decide between the men's and women's styles so I chose both. One outfit will be based on what Rowan Atkinson wears as Blackadder III, and the other will be the same dark, cunning style but in the form of a women's polonaise gown. It'll take me until around Christmas to actually finish them, but they'll certainly be something to be proud of.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
...I am going to try to make a side skirt bustle? Hopefully in a month and a half overall. I got the pattern and the material is finally coming in. I also want to gut one velvet skirt I have and attach lace to where it is gored.
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I'm only working on my ponytail that will be dyed purple when it gets long enough.
The rest of my stuff I have to buy off the rack.

Seconded, only I don't think I'll do purple. I miss my blue hair. However, I don't want to dye anything until my hair is at least to my jawbone. I have about an inch and a half to go. I feel so wierd with short hair. I haven't had it this short in about four years. When we cut it, I think it was at eleven or twelve inches. It all went to locks of love, I guess they don't mind if it's dyed black and blue. :-s
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #19
Zenit

I'm knitting... I need it, it's so cold here Right now I'm knitting a pair of really long, grey armwarmers. And I found a pair of lace knee-length socks on sale. I plan to cut them up an sew them to a favourite tee as arms

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #20
Heatherzilla

I bought myself yet another cape pattern. I'm still deciding on what fabric to use, I already have a satin cape and a velvet cape and I don't want this one to be exactly the same. Any ideas?
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #21
Cayca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherzilla
I bought myself yet another cape pattern. I'm still deciding on what fabric to use, I already have a satin cape and a velvet cape and I don't want this one to be exactly the same. Any ideas?
How about satin lined wool cape?
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #22
Kraven de Sade

I was working on a leather bracer with dragon claw spikes, but then I realized that the end product would look very similar to something that Shredder from Ninja Turtles would wear, so I dropped the idea.
Kraven de Sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #23
Salmiakki

I was going to start work on sprucing up a pair of old plimsolls (http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ve/plimsol.jpg) but I'm not sure what to do with them. At the moment I have fabric paints, rivets and ribbon to do with as I will...does anyone have any ideas? I don't want them ending up a disaster like so many of my other projects *looks at evil pixie skirt residing in the cupboard*...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #24
Senor_Sadomachism

Salmiakki, if you want try drawing a skull with some white fabric paint (or whichever color pleases you) or instead of a skull maybe a pixie if you'd like. As for the ribbons how about putting them on the front all lined up vertically and for the rivets... What can you do with them? 0_0 I forgot what they were, in fact I don't know what they are. I'll try to look them up.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:05 AM   #25
Salmiakki

Rivets are also called eyelets when used on clothing - they're the little metal rings that you thread your shoelaces through. Thanks for the ideas, but pixies and skulls are probably beyond my drawing ability and the shoes would probably end up looking like a pirate flag. A good idea with the ribbons, though. Perhaps I'll try that...