Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Kristin

Eyelets/grommets

I'm sure my idea is far from original, and maybe even silly, but I claim tiredness. Heh

Anyway, today I bought a tank top with a corset-style ribbon threaded down the front. Looks awesome in my humble opinion, I'm wearing it to a concert next week so I'll post pics.

I love the corset look, and ribbons. I could save a lot of money and make my clothes more original, by taking a plain $5 t-shirt or tank top, inserting eyelet holes, and threading in my own ribbons and beads. I was also thinking I could do the same with jeans.

Any tips on how to do this? Is there a gadget that clamps on the grommets - and is that even the right word? And pictures too, please. Whee.

Speaking of the ribbons look, I love this tattoo. I find it gorgeous and creepy at the same time: CLICKY
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
KontanKarite

Go to Walmart and check out their sewing and craft section. They sell packs of eyelets with the tool you need at the same time.

Though I may usually discourage people from going to Wal-Mart, this is the most accessible place I can think of getting it right away.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Kristin

Oh yeah! Thanks, Kontan. Walmart is about the only place you can go to around here for gadgets like that - or I could try craft stores. I've been looking around at thrift shops and more obscure stores too, instead of going straight to Hot Topic. Yay, Kristin. Which reminds me, I have to ask my friend about this one shop she knows of that sells DIY moccasin or renaissance boot kits for about $20.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
lucitrx

sewing stores will have them too and probly have more diferent sizes than walmart
lucitrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Solumina

Target should have them as well, they are actually fairly easy to use and you can do some really fun stuff to pants with them. I wish I still had my jeans that I altered the bottoms (took out the outside seam starting at the knee and put on grommets), they could be anywhere from skinny jeans to boot cut depending on how tight I tied the lacing, sadly after being totally awesome for nearly a year they started to fall apart (then again I did get them a good 6 months before that from a thrift store so they did last quite well when everything is considered).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Kristin

My favorite pants are my work pants, they're not jeans but some kind of cotton blend close to jeans. They're boot-cut, and I'm toying with the idea of doing something with ribbons on the sides of the calves. I don't want to ruin them, though.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Cayca

Perhaps it's cheaper and less irritating to use eyelet tape or D-ring tape instead of buying grommet setting tool. This way all eyelets/rings will be equally spaced from each other.
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
Kristin

I'll have to look for some of that tape when I'm at the fabric store. I did find an eyelet tool for about $1.50 (it was on sale), and I bought a few cheap tank tops to experiment with.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #9
Megansmom

Get the plier type grommet setter
or put a butcher block down on your table if you are going to use a hammer style eyelet tool. Also , start the area where your placing the grommet with just a little whole there already about half the size of the grommet your using .Makes it go in quicker and easier ruining fewer grommets and garments and saving several curse words.
After making several corsets and midevil style dresses , I've learned the hard way.
Megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Cayca

Don't cut holes in the textile. This can make grommets tear the hole and fall out. Use awl to make a hole without tearing threads of the fabric.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
GothicChristian

I remember trying to put eyelets in my eighth grade dance dress, the butcher block and hammer style. Never again! Never again will I put myself through that torture!
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Kristin

Uh-oh. I can hardly wait to begin. LOL I'm glad I bought cheap stuff to start with.

Oh, on a slightly related note, my husband just replaced my broken sewing machine with a pretty cool floor model he found on sale! I'd really love to learn how to sew some simple peasant-style medieval dresses.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #13
Megansmom

Go to the pattern section at walmart and look in the costume section of simplicity and mccalls. That's where I get all my daughters stuff but now we are going for loli lita stuff also for my youngest girl.
Enjoy your new sewing machine.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #14
Kristin

I found some great patterns in Simplicity. I haven't tried McCall's yet, but I will. In your experience, which has the easier patterns? I'm still kind of a beginner.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #15
Megansmom

Actually they are both about the same. Start out with The Sew Easy and One hour Petterns and advance from there. Stay away from Butterick and Vogue for awhile , Those to are so hard.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #16
Megansmom

Actually they are both about the same. Start out with The Sew Easy and One hour patterns and advance from there. Stay away from Butterick and Vogue for awhile , Those to are so hard.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
Corpus_Macabre

My apologises for resurrecting this thread but I have also been having trouble trying to figure out how to use my eyelet tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayca
Don't cut holes in the textile. This can make grommets tear the hole and fall out. Use awl to make a hole without tearing threads of the fabric.
I am not entirely sure what "awl" means, but should I have a bit of a hole when using the eyelet tool? I am also not entirely sure how to use my tool but I have a feeling a hammer may be involved. It is called a "setter tool".

I was hoping on adding a picture of what my tool may look like but I am new to this forum and I do not have the mode to (yet).
Corpus_Macabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #18
Cayca

Awl is a pointy tool you'd use here to make a hole without cutting the textile.

I don't think anyone can post pictures but you can put img address instead. Like this.

Picture of awl
Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 AM   #19
Corpus_Macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayca
Awl is a pointy tool you'd use here to make a hole without cutting the textile.

I don't think anyone can post pictures but you can put img address instead. Like this.
Sorry. It keep saying that I do not have the access to posting URL (yet). Because I am "too new".

It a bit of a pain because the tool I have is hard to describe, but does sounds relatively similar to what you mentioned there.

It won't even let me quote your url.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:31 AM   #20
NightmareInShiningArmour

It's so we don't have spammers.
Just do www d0t randomwebsite d0t c0m until you can post links. (100 posts?)
Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 AM   #21
Corpus_Macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
It's so we don't have spammers.
Just do .... (100 posts?)
Oh I understand what you mean (how obvious)...

It won't let me post the link even when I put spaces and [dot] into it. Very frustrating but I can understand why it is in place. Would it work if I could send the link to you and you could post it for me? Either that or I will have to "spam" the threads with useless posts to get my "score/points" up?

And again it won't let me post your "url" either.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
RavenHallows.

I know there is a machine for clicking on grommets because my mom has one, it's rather a lovely little thing. Yet I have utterly no idea where to get one, let alone the fact that you live in a country so far away. However, I would suggest going to like a.. proffessional fabric/sewing store or something like that and ask if they have it, I'm pretty sure they do.
RavenHallows. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

The pliers type is the most desirable. They come with little hole-punch heads as well as grommet setting heads.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #24
xXxItzpapalotlxXx

Smile

I use a Crop-a-dial to insert eyelets, it works great on paper; for paper crafting projects, or on fabric. There are 2 different sizes, the original or the "Big Bite" depending on the size of your project you be the judge of which would work better for you. I find either much easier to use than the standard eyelet setting tools. I think Walmart sells these, otherwise you could check a craft store such as Michaels. Hope this is helpful.
xXxItzpapalotlxXx is offline   Reply With Quote