Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #276
Jane13

The Others. I like this movie, even though I know how it ends
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:11 PM   #277
Grimalkin

Seeking a Few Good Horror Movies

I recommend "Monster Hunter" with David Carradine. It's a hoot, but it's not really a horror movie, though sufficiently gross. We watched "The Punisher" last night, and it wasn't too bad. John Travolta is much better as a villain.
Grimalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #278
gingerbreadwench

Pieces of April. I really liked it.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #279
koehiir

Hellboy - goofy start, but okay afterwards. If you get it, don't expect too much and you'll enjoy it.
koehiir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #280
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Shrek 2. Laughed very hard, and only paid a buck to see it. Joy.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:40 PM   #281
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadwench
Pieces of April. I really liked it.
I saw that movie, and I also liked it.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 PM   #282
ohthefuckwell

the last movie i watched?

quest for camelot....

for the 80 bajillionth time......

......this week......

the last "grown up" movie?

house of sand and fog, as recommended by my *mumblesinaudibly*....(*hee*).....

this was the first movie i've really let myself get lost in in a long, long time. my foot STILL hurts. (if you've not seen the movie, you probably won't get that reference.)

ben kingsley was awesome. no surprise there. jennifer connelly was excellent as well. however, as much as i may like ron eldard, i thought his performance was a bit dry. there were a few aspects i'd have liked to have seen explored a bit further, but all-in-all, i thought it was a great film even though i saw the first casualty coming from a mile away.....i just didn't expect it to happen quite the way it did, so it was still a bit of a surprise.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #283
edible_eye

we settled for 'the bunker', which might have been just as bad as fear dot com, but we were drinking and talking and getting rowdy so it didn't matter too much. then we saw 'godsend' which started out with some promise but took a turn for the worse soon enough. it could have been a good movie but the writers got lazy.

motherfuckers. i'll bet they still made 500 million dollars.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #284
WolfMoon

Immortal Beloved,the end still makes me cry.Every time.

The Doors,

two days in a row and I can never catch the damned thing from the start.Unfortunately I always come away from it a bit melancholy.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #285
.BatteryPoison.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse:

(Quick editor's note: I didn't pay to see this)...

If you saw the first Resident Evil film, you'll need me not to sit here and tell you the plot needs alot of work in these stories. The script here was written by a wild pack of horny 13 year olds who think eye-rolling cliche lines and karate enabled super-models with automatic weapons are enough to make a film float.

Example of this film's top-o-the line offerings: Scene opens in a police station where it's pure chaos; police officers and detectives are trying to wrestle zombies into hand-cuffs while they're being bit and tackled. Enter one of the bimbo heroins, a S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics And Rescue Squad) member who finds that a halter-top and mini-skirt put a tactical twist on flexible clothing ripe for showing off the beav' while proving to her male counter-parts that she's a crucial and good lookin' tool in law-enforcement, steps into the police station, removes her side arm (which apparently is her primary weapon) and begins shooting every single one of the zombies. This all happens within a second of her entry, since obviously she doesn't need to survey the situation at all before opening fire on anything and everything flailing it's arms before "bringing things to order," and polishing off the job with a tacky line.

The other bimbo female lead comes from the previous movie as some sort of Ellen Rippley knock-off who survives these movies just to come back alone in the sequal. She ends up crawlling out onto the streets at night after a mob of zombies have taken over the city from the last film. Where does she go? Into a local military surplus store, where she by-passes anything remotely tactical and goes straight for the hip-huggers and halter-top, managing to find not one, but two custom chrome, fully automatic MP5Ks laying around in the store. This one has about 9, maybe 10 lines in the whole movie. Nothing servicable either, just cliches and eye-rollers that make you want to break a glass bottle and stab yourself in the neck with it to counter-act the pain.

It's just an even farther-fetch script with action sequences one tends to yawn through. When the T-Virus (a virus that reanimates dead cells) spreads and infects the majority of Racoon City, naturally the company that made the virus, not the government, ends up cealing off the city and sending in armed guards to take care of the situation. Oh yeah, the company also has it's own nuclear device that can erradicate the entire city.

This sequal poseses no qualities worth recommending it to anyone... at all. It's just a poorly written script that's about on par with the shittiest film ever made. If you're a video-gamer below the age of 13, this film will be inspiring of a 12 hour Resident Evil binge on the Play Station, but offers nothing to adults or anyone else in the audience with an active EEG reading.

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 AM   #286
Deadhymn

just watched Mean Machine for the 100th time...if youve never seen it , but are a fan of Guy Ritchie, then shame on you.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291341/
ignore the reviews on IMDB...theyre all written by a bunch of mouth breathing inbred idiots anyhow.
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:22 PM   #287
Loy

A few I've seen-

"Pieces Of April"-For the most part, a fairly generic "family dinner" story with a few shots of brilliance, which are; 1-The "Dogme" aesthetic makes it feel less like a "film" and a bit more real. While this stylistic choice is annoying for most of the american films that have used it, it's not so bad here. 2-Katie Holmesd and Patricia Clarkson are wonderful. 3-The soundtrack is by the Magnetic Fields....if you didn't understand, let me say that again-the soundtrack is done by the Magnetic Fields (!!!!!!) This automatically raises the "coolness" notch higher than most films outside of anything by Wes Anderson and "Napoleon Dynamite".
In the end, not too memorable, but not that bad.

"Shaun Of The Dead"-It's got zombies and comedy and lots of not-so-subtle digs on modern living, of course I love it. Plus the DVD has lots of deleted scenes and 4 audio commentaries, 1 by the zombies!!!!!

"Sky Captain"-All the good things (sheer imagination, breathless excitement) and bad things (paper-thin characters, oblique racism) of pulp serials are blown to sky-high proportions in this CGI moment that will change the way films are made. You can talk about the film being state-of-the-art/ahead-of-its-time, and you can talk about how there were no sets and all that technical stuff, but in the end, it's the child-like naivete that sticks in the viewers heads as they leave smiling the theatres....along with robots....lots and lots of robots.....

"Fight For Your Life"-If you ever wondered what Bill Sanderson did before his big break in "Blade Runner" and the "Newhart" show, well Blue Underground has remastered and re-released this trash classic. Three escaped convicts (a white man, a mexican gangster/pimp, and a chinese pervert) hold a black family hostage. What follows is one of the most offensively degrading hour or so ever put on film. One doesn't even think of the low budget, the so-so filming, or the acting ranging from amateurish to god-awful when they're seeing the father being beaten unconscious with his bible or being compared to "Martin Lucifer Coon". And yes, the family gets their bit of revenge in the end, but until then, be prepared for the whole dictionary of racial epitapths to be tossed out by all the characters.

"The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly"-While I still argue that "Once Upon A Time In The West" was the greatest western ever made by anybody ever, "GBAU" is fairly close behind. And with the 25 minutes that were cut out of the american release added back in and remastered, it's more epic than ever.

"Lightning Over Water"-Nicholas Ray was an American director who gained a cult following in France and Germany for the films he made in the 50's (such as "Rebel Without A Cause" and "Johnny Guitar"), but was never seen as anything other than a hack here. Wim Wenders was a film critic who turned to film-making in the 70's and became (along with Rainer Fassbinder and Werner Herzog) one of the leaders of the German "New Cinema" movement. Ray wanted to make one final film with Wenders help. Wenders meets up with him, and rather make the film about a dying artist, Wenders and Ray film another dying artist-Nick Ray himself. Yes, it's his death we're watching, and even though most of you might not have ever seen anything he's made, watching the joy, pain, frustration and joi de viev flicker away into nothingness before your eyes makes one understand how precious life really is.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #288
AlKilyu

Loy you are one hell of a writer. I am thinking EPS, Manimal and I should rent that offeensive movie just for the MST3K value in it.

Question: The version of GBU that you speak of, is that the one that was re-released in the theater about ten years ago? I've seen that movie dozens of times, and only when I saw it on the big screen did I see it in a different light, which was that Eli Wallach (Paco, The Ugly) is the star of that movie.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:00 PM   #289
gingerbreadwench

Last night I saw Pauline and Paulette, which was okay, but anticlimactic.

This evening I watched Godsend. Ugh.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:31 PM   #290
edible_eye

ah, gbw - you should have read my review on godsend before renting it. i believe it went something like this - sucked.

- mark
Old 10-05-2004, 09:45 PM   #291
gingerbreadwench

Well I knew it would suck... but I tend to like sucky movies. Godsend didn't even make sense.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #292
Loy

Al-another film I'd suggest for MST3K value (to make it a double feature) is "They Call Her One Eye", which was released on DVD under the title "Thriller". It's the film that Darryl Hannah's character from "Kill Bill" is from, and it's a grimey little exploitation classic. Rapings...beatings...doping up....revenge! Heh!

And the version of "Good, Bad...." was actually released into theatres last year. It's the full uncut version of the film (they had to restore the missing 25 minutes from a foreign print, then they got Wallach and Eastwood to redub their scenes), and it premiered (I think, I'm not sure) at SIFF before doing a run in art-houses.

Another film you should check out Al...."Tale Of Two Sisters". It's a Korean film, and it's got ghosts and sibling rivalry and gore and....I don't wanna go too much into details aside from it also being one you can watch with Manimal and E_P_S, and have them both thank you for it afterwards (E_P_S, especially)

*smirk*
Old 10-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #293
Deadhymn

anyone here ever seen Jumping At The Boneyard with Tim Roth and Alexis Arquette? its fucking intense...

and just for the record, Goodfellas is the absolute APEX of mafia films....Godfather was the genesis, but Goodfellas took it all the way...
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:50 PM   #294
Flirting_With_Suicide

Location: In the darkest corner,of your darkest thought,is were you will find me and you will find your self..
Hackers- it has an awsome sound track plus the plot is cool in my world.

Next im going to watch the brodway play STomp.
Flirting_With_Suicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #295
LeTHaLPaNdA

i watc majik max nd teh legind of te rings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111 it wuz the bestest muvi EVRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u al shud wack ait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeTHaLPaNdA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #296
edible_eye

the day after tomorrow.

special effects - awesome.

characters - reduced the population of the united states down to a choice few. everyone else were thrown in as extras.

cheese factor - high.

story - less than average.

overall - worth it at least once, if only to marvel at the absolute annihilation of our country via mother nature.

moral - change your ways of consumption, everyone or nature will unleash its wrath - tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #297
AlKilyu

Deep Rising

IMO a really good, and underrated movie. Oh I like many rolled my eyes at another Leviathan/Deep Star Six/Annaconda rip-off, but it wasn't! It was honest to goodness a good movie!

One thing it did right, and again my opinion, for a horror movie, is give you a reason to cringe at someone's upcoming death. Scream established this right off the bat when you realized victims would just get a quick death, they'd be gutted alive. Final Destination 2, another fantastic and underrated horror movie did this as well. I watched the entire audience, men and women, cringe and partially cover their eyes when they thought Death was near.
This movie does that towards the end of the first reel by letting you know just what will happen to you if the monster(s) get ahold of you. No quick death here. Nasty.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:01 PM   #298
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flirting_With_Suicide
Hackers- it has an awsome sound track plus the plot is cool in my world.
I love that movie! Damn... too bad I wasn't even born when Hackers and Pong were still cool :x

Dracula: Dead and Loving It!
-Cinema Strange
Old 10-16-2004, 11:23 PM   #299
secretboy

Saw Team America.

Mmm. Puppet sex.

(I kid, EPS! I kid!)

The rest of it was okay. Those guys really get ticked off by celebrities, though. The songs were fucking hilarious, though. I've never seen Pearl Harbor, so I don't know if it's bad enough to merit a song like "I miss you like Pearl Harbor sucks."

I liked how they managed to send up pretty much every Bruckenheimer movie ever made, though I think that went over most people's heads (and most of them went over mine)
Old 10-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #300
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretboy
Saw Team America.

Mmm. Puppet sex.

(I kid, EPS! I kid!)
Mmmm Puppet Sex..

Better than Campbells chicken noodle soup..

:shock:

Ya know this movie almost got an NC-17 rating STRICTLY because of the puppet sex..lol..They had to edit the shit out of the gratuitous marionette sex scene to earn an R rating from the ratings board.

This is the official rating they got:

R citing "graphic, crude and sexual humor; violent images and strong language, all involving puppets."

It really amuses me that puppets playing hide the sausage, bugs the ratings board MORE than Janeane Garofolo getting her head blown smooth off.

I can't wait to see it..

:twisted:
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote