Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Onyx_Rose

Why the frig should I??????

Learning statistics in high schoo!??? What the fuck?!!!!!

What am I going to do with statistics in my future career, what if I wanna be a world famous carrot peeler? I ain't gonna use stats. What I need to know is how to perform mass hypnosis...
Onyx_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx_Rose View Post

What am I going to do with statistics in my future career, what if I wanna be a world famous carrot peeler? I ain't gonna use stats. What I need to know is how to perform mass hypnosis...
statistics is cool.I'm learning it in my spare time. Plus it's crucial if you're going into any kind of career which requires you to do research. But then I'm sure your tutors have told you that already.

Last edited by 6SixSick; 02-22-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Quite shocking spelling really
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Solumina

Statistics is the most useful of the higher level maths. Don't get me wrong, calc is still much more awesome but fewer people have any regular uses for it.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
$haDe

I declared Art of Communication, and STILL have to take it too.

One of the main reasons, I changed to graphic design thingie.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Onyx_Rose

I don't find it difficult at all, it's really easy actually.

But I hate it!!! And I really don't wanna be a carrot peeler.....
Iiiiiiiiiiimagine, what a waste of education...
Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
JJ_Spade

Lol, I Feel Your Pain Trust Me.
JJ_Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Fruitbat

Quote:

You learn statistics so you can impress managers with graphs and say things like... 64% of people like green, while 54% like blue and the reason it adds up to more than 100 is because there were some people who liked both colours.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
Onyx_Rose

Lol....!!!! That was funny
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcud View Post
Because it's on the fucking test, and peeling carrots has shit pay, so learn it you dick hole. It's not difficult.
That about sums it up. And anyway, if you end up wanting to take some kind of social science if/when you go to university, there's a good chance you will find it VERY useful.

Anyway, that's a dumb approach. Might as well be one of those school-of-life types - i.e., both dumb, and defiant about being dumb. "What's the point in reading BOOKS? You need to get some LIFE experience!" "What for I need to know about history? It was AGES ago, that's the point!" Then you end up becoming one of those people at a table in the SU bar who thinks the south won the American Civil War "cause it's still like proper racist down there". I have actually had that conversation, and believe me, kid, NO ONE wants to be that person. People who manned up and just did i little work at school edge AWAY from that person.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
Onyx_Rose

I really don't think stats are difficult (I'm actually pretty good), I just don't like them.
And the level they're teaching us at in my school isn't mandatory. We only need to learn it in varsity. The school I go to just sucks!!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
JJ_Spade

Quote:
I really don't think stats are difficult (I'm actually pretty good), I just don't like them.
And the level they're teaching us at in my school isn't mandatory. We only need to learn it in varsity. The school I go to just sucks!!
Ahh Yes, High School Sucked For Me Too. I Think High School Sucks No Matter What Generation Lol! College Is Better...There Are Some NOT ALL Teachers Who Only Want You To Take Notes And Test You On Them...No Homework.
JJ_Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Spade View Post
Ahh Yes, High School Sucked For Me Too. I Think High School Sucks No Matter What Generation Lol! College Is Better...There Are Some NOT ALL Teachers Who Only Want You To Take Notes And Test You On Them...No Homework.
YOU'RE at college?

Suddenly I feel a hell of a lot better about my choices in life.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
MissCheyenne

Quote:
You could have ended up writing music with words [????].
I'm disappointed, I did Music Tech at college and I never got taught to write music with words

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Solumina

High school only sucks if you let it suck. University isn't better, just different.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
High school only sucks if you let it suck. University isn't better, just different.
You kiddin? University's muuuuuuch better!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I'm disappointed, I did Music Tech at college and I never got taught to write music with words
Neato. Do you play an instrument or more into the production/ computer thing??
Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
MissCheyenne

I can play the guitar and mandolin and a LITTLE piano, banjo, violin, keyboard (yeah it IS different to playing a piano) bass guitar and I have a go with various percussion instruments.

I don't like playing in front of other people though so I preferred to focus on production and computer based composition.

I am your slice of pie
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
6SixSick

Quote:
I can play the guitar and mandolin and a LITTLE piano, banjo, violin, keyboard (yeah it IS different to playing a piano) bass guitar and I have a go with various percussion instruments.

I don't like playing in front of other people though so I preferred to focus on production and computer based composition.
fair dos. I'm mainly on Saxophone, but can play Clarinet, Guitar, Keyboard, Piano, Bass guitar, and limited experience on drums.

I'm not great on guitar but I can do rhythm while writing parts for lead guitar. I love performing live though. I've played each of the above instruments live at some time or another, and like singing and writing songs as well.

Do you have much experience in prodection? I'm lame at it tbh honest
Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
MissCheyenne

Tbh, I found that learning the techniques for production was easy, having the 'ear' for it is entirely different though. Being technically skilled is great but if you don't have the ability to really hear what you are producing, it will end up sounding shit. My experience is mostly limited to college and personal projects, it's not something I've taken any further than that at this moment in time.

I am your slice of pie
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
6SixSick

Quote:
Tbh, I found that learning the techniques for production was easy, having the 'ear' for it is entirely different though. Being technically skilled is great but if you don't have the ability to really hear what you are producing, it will end up sounding shit. My experience is mostly limited to college and personal projects, it's not something I've taken any further than that at this moment in time.
You got me thinking about college projects, and I've just remembered that I did an analytical project about the history of Gothic music hahaha. Funny.
I got a distinction too.............
Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
6SixSick

Quote:
Production is just as much fun as creation. The translation tests are the killer, though.
I don't have a clue about what translation tests are.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
MissCheyenne

Ugh, lap top speakers are the worst. Nothing sounds good through them at all, NOTHING.

I am your slice of pie
Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #23
6SixSick

Quote:
That's when you play your CD on different things, like in your car, a cheap assed CD player, a laptop, so on. Taking into account that most people these days listen to music on a shitty quality MP3 through shitty quality laptop speakers or headphones, it can make the production process a pain, having to listen to the same intro over and over until you can hear the bass without distortion.
oh I see. Interesting. Surely though changes in usic technology have overall gotten better? I only ask as I see a trend for older records to be remastered so they sound better on today's systems.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #24
Fruitbat

Quote:
Lol....!!!! That was funny
I forgot to mention that when you get older, you realise that managers like to see number represented with pretty graphs...

so you could give a meeting of CEO's a very pretty table (of numbers) and let them read it (which they won't) or you can put up a projector, and a whiteboard and have a pretty excel graph up on the screen with exactly the same numbers on it and they will all go "ooohhhhhh" (exactly the way little kids do when they see something shiny).

So stats allows you to show the dumbass managers the stats in the correct way, so you don't skew the figures.

My kitchen table still has the dent in it from when I did stats at uni - and I kept banging my head against it yelling "Make this make sense!" - it was tragic.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
6SixSick

Quote:
The technology has gotten better, but stayed expensive. People are happy to listen to shitty quality sound, even listening to songs on their telephones saved as a ringtone, using it like an old school boom box. It sounds terrible, there's zero bass and limited low mids / mids. It sounds exactly like you would expect it to sound, fucking terrible. Your goal as a producer is to make sure it sounds good no matter what it's played on.

As for remastering, more often than not the production company is using a vinyl pressing, not the original recording, as the source, which to most people doesn't count as a remaster. Put it like this, you have a 250Kbps MP3. Convert that to Flac, will it sound better? Nope, now you just have a Flac file that sounds like a 250Kbps MP3. That's essentially what they do, without getting into the nitty gritty of EQing, compression and so on. Plus, everyone knows that the CD is an inferior format to the vinyl. I've got records that play almost the same as they did when I got them new years and years ago. A CD I bought three years ago isn't recognised by certain players.
Oh that's cool; you're very knowledgeable.

Yeah I'm not sure where you're from, but in the UK kids use their mobile phones like that as well. It usually sounds amazingly dire.
My headphone quality is ok. I use a company call skull candy. I'd like to have a pair of the Dr Dre ones though.