Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #126
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
I don't think that's very reasonable, given human sexual dynamics. And I wouldn't downplay the amount of trauma involved in pregnancy, either.

Anyways, it's all going to come back to the "it is a person?" question that we both will always disagree on, which is the main reason I'm largely over any abortion debate.
What does make a person a person, then?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #127
TheBloodEternity

Self-awareness/self-perception?

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #128
Underwater Ophelia

Still...something not being bad for you doesn't make it good for you.

Even if it has some of the things your body needs, it's still full of crap.
I'm not saying don't eat it--I love McDonald's and most other crap food.

But don't say it's good for you.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #129
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Self-awareness/self-perception?
Um...

By that logic, it should be legal to kill a baby after it's been born if you're unhappy.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #130
TheBloodEternity

Ever since I heard that McDonalds, etc and other cheap ground meats often contain cow feces I haven't been able to stomach it.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #131
Underwater Ophelia

Yeah.

Haha, I was leaving out contaminants.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #132
MegearaErotica

Just think about what's in their McFlurries. My biology had us identify the ingredients and we found out it's got the same materials as plastic. You're eating plastic! That's got to be really healthy for you. I hate plastic milkshakes.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #133
Underwater Ophelia

I don't.

I loved McFlurries until I found out they've got like 600kcal a pop.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #134
TheBloodEternity

Plastic??

Hmm, once, I can't remember what I was eating, but I glanced at the ingredients list and silicon was on it.
Ew.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #135
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Plastic??

Hmm, once, I can't remember what I was eating, but I glanced at the ingredients list and silicon was on it.
Ew.
Silicon? Isn't that glass?
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #136
Saya

Its an element, can be in glass or ceramics.

Isn't there plastic in bubble gum as well?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #137
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Didn't mean to be snarky to you Lauren, more as a retort to the "thats what adoption is for". Pregnancy is a scary thing and not everyone is willing to go through it for a baby they don't want to have.
And as I said before, no one forced them to get pregnant except in the case of ****. As far as the "human sexual dynamic" that someone mentioned, sexual pleasure can be achieved without the risk of pregnancy. There are multiple methods of birth control, and there are other ways to achieve sexual pleasure. In fact, for women, other methods are statistically more pleasurable than "traditional" intercourse anyway. I can also speak from experience on that point, as I've never achieved an orgasm through sexual intercourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Um...

By that logic, it should be legal to kill a baby after it's been born if you're unhappy.
Not to mention the mentally handicapped.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #138
Saya

Dude, even sex with all kinds of birth control isn't completely safe. Both of my friends who got pregnant recently were using both the pill and condoms, one of them got pregnant twice in a few months (the first ended in miscarriage). In truth there is only one type of safe sex, and that is masturbation. Even using sex toys has risks, especially if you share. Sex has risks and yes you better be prepared for them, but why why why should you have to carry a child, especially when you were using birth control because you knew that you didn't want to have kids?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #139
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Dude, even sex with all kinds of birth control isn't completely safe. Both of my friends who got pregnant recently were using both the pill and condoms, one of them got pregnant twice in a few months (the first ended in miscarriage). In truth there is only one type of safe sex, and that is masturbation. Even using sex toys has risks, especially if you share. Sex has risks and yes you better be prepared for them, but why why why should you have to carry a child, especially when you were using birth control because you knew that you didn't want to have kids?
Wow, your friends must be very fertile, because I was researching on fwhc. org and it said the pill is 92 to 97 percent effective.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #140
PortraitOfSanity

How did we go from racist white trash not liking Obama, to birth control?
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #141
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
How did we go from racist white trash not liking Obama, to birth control?
I have no clue... Maybe we all just love argruing about nothing?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #142
PortraitOfSanity

Very well, carry on.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #143
MegearaErotica

Hmmm, no one else is on. Should I start debating with myself now?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #144
PortraitOfSanity

You can hide the National debt in McCain's old-man-wrinkles.

Discuss.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #145
MegearaErotica

Actually, I have to get off... the computer... to get ready to go out to dinner with my parents. Although you can probably hide a lot of things in his face... he's got a lot of wrinkles.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #146
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
Wow, your friends must be very fertile, because I was researching on fwhc. org and it said the pill is 92 to 97 percent effective.
True, but if you have a lot of sex you will see those odds go up :P Actually I heard 99% is the success rate. Both of them were on Alesse too, so that made me nervous. And that 99% is only good if you never miss a pill and you take it at the same time everyday.

EDIT: And one of them I know isn't very fertile, she has a lot of problems downstairs and the doctor told her she should expect a lot of trouble conceiving.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #147
PortraitOfSanity

I believe the percent effectiveness is based on how many people the pill is effective for, meaning that 97% of people are affected completely by the pill, and that 3% it will sometimes or always not work for. So basically if you're one of the 97%, it will prevent pregnancy 100% of the time, instead of it meaning that it will prevent pregnancy 97 out of 100 for all people.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #148
MegearaErotica

Quote:
And one of them I know isn't very fertile, she has a lot of problems downstairs and the doctor told her she should expect a lot of trouble conceiving.
Hmmm, perhaps the pill increased her hormone level or something... Or her doctor is a quack.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #149
Mealla

Quote:
Dude, even sex with all kinds of birth control isn't completely safe.
Birth control, used properly, does give a large degree of protection. It does sometimes fail, but a majority of the time pregnancies can be attributed to improper use. Using multiple forms of birth control can also increase protection (i.e. pill or patch in addition to condoms). A lot of this goes down to education though, which I will admit is severely lacking.

Quote:
In truth there is only one type of safe sex, and that is masturbation.
Last I checked, oral and anal sex can't get you pregnant either.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #150
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Birth control, used properly, does give a large degree of protection. It does sometimes fail, but a majority of the time pregnancies can be attributed to improper use. Using multiple forms of birth control can also increase protection (i.e. pill or patch in addition to condoms). A lot of this goes down to education though, which I will admit is severely lacking.

Last I checked, oral and anal sex can't get you pregnant either.
Anal sex increases your chances for STDs, also there can be a lot of pain and bleeding as well, and also a lot of girls aren't wiling to take it in the ass. And oral also has an STD risk, so no they arent completly safe methods of sex.

And once again, while very effective, no method of birth control is completely fool proof. And I do believe in the states a teen would need parental permission to get a prescription for a lot of them, and here you'd have to ask your parents to take you to the doctor anyway, so most teens just use condoms, whether they don't want to ask their parents or their parents refuse.