Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Panic

Making a compilation CD for a friend

I'm looking to introduce to my new boyfriend "gothic music" as a genre. It seems that he was a bit confused as to what gothic music was, telling me that he was goth in high school, when he was listening to bands such as Black Sabbath...

I offered to burn him a CD of songs that I felt were indicative of the genre as a whole. The only problem is, I can't make up my mind...and would also like the opinions of others within the scene. He's not interested in being a goth now, but he is interested in what exactly *is* gothic music (as a style). Therefore, I thought "why waste his time with such nonsense as Bela Lugosi's Dead, and tripe like that?" (I actually hate Bauhaus...blasphemy? So be it. No offense, of course, if you like them...)

He's not completely in the dark though; he has mp3's by artists such as Dead Can Dance and Delerium, so the ethereal-type stuff should be an easy adjustment for him. He mostly in an electronic fan, and says he also loves industrial...I'd also be interested in showing him the connections between goth music and the current hybrids of these styles.

So far, I have:
Legendary Pink Dots - Belladonna (although it's not a very good track for defining the band...what is?...I feel it's appropriate for this collection.)
Siouxsie and The Banshees - Melting Man ("handcuffed in lace, blood, and sperm" doesn't get much gother than that.)
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (duh.)

Um, basically I didn't get much further than that. I'd also like to include Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Swans, and The Sisters of Mercy, but I'm not sure exactly which songs. I do feel like I'm sticking a bit to just one area of goth, and not really thinking of many other examples outside of the 80's, so ANY other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

...I take my CD burning very seriously.
Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
cannibalnuns

Lay Me Low - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Let Me Break You - London After Midnight
Walking In London - Concrete Blonde
Temple of Love - S.O.M

Or you might want to check out:

The Cult
Leonard Cohen
Fields Of The Nephilim
Death In June
Mephisto Walz
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
pitseleh

First of all: You don't like Bauhaus?! Sorry, I can't respect that, and I certainly don't take offense that you don't.

If you should put a song of theirs on there, "Crowds" is a good choice, albeit very atypical-sounding. For the very end, maybe. "The Passion of Lovers", "Hair of the Dog", "Spirit", or their cover of Dead Can Dance's "Severance" from the "Gotham" live album. So much good stuff.

Cinema Strange should be represented. "Speak Marauder" and "Mathilde in the Dirt", among others, are cool songs.

I'm not into stuff like Delerium, I think that's too glossy and fluffy to be thought of as "goth", really.

Sisters of Mercy has to be on there. Just about any track off "First and Last and Always", especially from the A-side. And Swans too, if you manage to fit their noise somewhere in the tracklisting.

I'd also include Throbbing Gristle's "Convincing People", just to fuck with his head. Possibly some Fad Gadget, or Virgin Prunes, "Decline and Fall" is beautiful, or "Sweet Home Under White Clouds"...

Those three you already have are just peachy, though.

I hope you didn't just milk me for free advice just now, because if you are as serious about your CD-burning, I'll expect a progress report!
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Queenofdarkness57

Bauhaus- Who killed Mr Moonlight?, She's in Parties.
Sisters of Mercy- First and last and always, Walk away, No time to Cry.
The Cure-Prayers for rain, Burn, Fascination Street, Killing an Arab.
Jack off Jill-Strawberry Gashes, Nazi Halo.
Inkubus Sukkubus-Wytches, City of the Dead, Vampyra, Heart of Lilith, Paint it Black
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Panic

Hah...that would be clever though, wouldn't it? Far superior to the usual "oh hay guyz tell mee how to be gothsz yo!"

I could definitely put Fad Gadget's "Collapsing New People" on there...:P

Expect a progress report in a week.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
pitseleh

"Collapsing New People" is a classic. Featuring Einstürzende Neubaten, no less. Also, the lyrics on "Ricky's Hand" and "Saturday Night Special", are funny as hell.

Good luck!
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
Beowulf

Cool

How about these...

The Mission `Tower of Strength` or `1969`

Fields of the Nephilim `Preacherman` or `Dawnrazor`

Sisters of Mercy `Lucretia` or `No Time to Cry`

Christian Death `Romeos Distress` or `The Angels (Liabach Re-mix)

The Cure `Boys Don`t Cry`

Type O Negative `Black N0.1`

Ghost Orgy `Born Dead`

live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
Binkie

Just a few suggestions:

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood
Sex Gang Children - Sebastiane
Nosferatu - The Keeper's Call
Deep Eynde - Hoodoo
Sopor Aeternus - Beautiful Thorn

I don't know if you've come up with a song by the Swans yet, but if not, "Where Does A Body End" has my vote.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #9
crimsonjoy

Hmmm; what about:

Razed in Black--Oh My Goth!
Siouxsie and the Banshees--Cities in Dust
Lords of the New Church--Open Your Eyes
The Wake--Christine
Switchblade Symphony--Therapy
Sisters of Mercy--This Corrosion
crimsonjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
WolfMoon

I was going to suggest 'Bela Lugosi's Dead' before I read that bit about hating Bauhaus. You're not goth!

Actually, your boi might enjoy that song even if you don't.

Christian Death ~ Cavity(cavaty?), Stairs Uncertain Journey, Mysterium Inquitatis, Spirituaql Cramp, hell just buy him Only Theater Of Pain!

The Sisters of Mercy ~ Temple of Love, Dance on Glass, Flood prt2, This Corrosion, Lucretia My Reflection

The Cure ~ Lullaby, A Night Like This, A Forrest, Lost(actually, this is a pretty boring song), Burn

Bauhaus ~ Who Killed Mr.Moonlight, The Sanity Assassin(I miss Seth), Swing The Heartache

Siouxsie and The Banshees ~ I only have the 'Tinder Box' album and I'm afraid that I haven't listened to it in far too long. :o

Type O ~ Black No.1, Christian Woman, Wolfmoon, Haunted, Love You To Death

Rammstein ~ Buck Dich, Du Hast

CombiChrist ~ This shit will fuck you up, This Is My Life, God Wrapped In Plastic

Skinny Puppy ~ Testure, my personal fave.

Alien Sex Fiend ~ Zombified and anything off of the album "Who's Been Sleeping In My Brain'.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
Panic

feh...Bauhaus still suck. Besides, I don't claim to be goth.

I'm just a gothic music fan....who wears a great deal of black...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Panic

He already likes bands like Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly...and he's obviously heard of Rammstein.

I don't know how interested he'll be in "This Corrosion", seeing as I can barely sit through the whole song myself. I don't know if I'd consider "Boy's Don't Cry" as very goth; The Cure was starting to get kind of pop-py at that point.

I never really got into Type O, and I've never heard anything by Ghost Orgy.

I think I've got enough to make a CD now. I told him yesterday I was going to burn it for him, and he seemed excited. :P