Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #26
Animula

The Antichrist Superstar triptych is stands alone as decent, interesting music. The rest is a bit shit.
Animula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #27
aperson

Wow I thought more people would like marilyn manson. Well I think he is awesome!
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #28
gomez_928

I don't think the level of an artist's mainstream success should deter a person from listening to him/her. If you like Marilyn Manson, listen to Marilyn Manson. If you like Nine Inch Nails, listen to Nine Inch Nails. If you like The Cruxshadows, :wumpscut:, KFMDM, or Combichrist, listen to them. Music is music, and it has the potential to be incredibly moving to an individual regardless of how much mainstream exposure said artist has received. Personally, I didn't care for Manson's Eat Me Drink Me, but I like his older stuff. I haven't heard The High End of Low, but if I enjoy it, I'll listen to it alongside Bauhaus, The Cure, Skinny Puppy, VNV Nation, etc.
gomez_928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #29
distant2nd

Never was much into MM, mostly the "forced" image always gave me the "look at me feel". That said, I do find a few of his songs cool, especially one I just heard yesterday. It was an old song, from 2003, a cover of "This Is Halloween" from Nightmare Before Christmas. That song is just solid.
distant2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #30
Zakyath

he's going downhill, in my opinion. Personally, I thought Eat Me, Drink Me was ten times better than his latest album which was a real disappointment. Some songs are okay, but damn, there's so much better.

I've never really understood why people say he's goth to begin with. I've never really met anyone who's associated him with goth. Most people I know don't really know anything about goth at all. I can't recall him saying that he wants to be goth. He just wants to be some weirdo shock rocker and open americas christian eyes.

then again, this is just me.
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #31
Anarasha

How can you even just "stop being a fan" of something or someone?
It makes no sense at all o.o
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #32
WarlockSix

Hm, I like Manson, but before I started listening to him I knew it wasn't goth. I still like some of his songs though, but generally I prefer his older stuff. Holy Wood and The Golden Age of Grotesque were my favourite albums; The High End of Low was terrible.

I think that some of his older stuff was quite clever; but, he seems to have lost that recently, because all of his newer music isn't half as clever.
WarlockSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #33
GoblinQueen

Good for you.
Manson sucks. I hate how 12 year olds immedeatly assume that once they begin to listen to the likes of Marylin Manson and The Rasmus, they're Goth.
Newsflash.
Marylin Manson is not Goth.
The Rasmus are not Goth. Hell, they even admitted that themselves....
And there's my rant for the day.
GoblinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #34
Anima_Severem

I never was a Manson fan. I guess all that bullshit from my youth pastor scared me away. But he's overrated anyway if you ask me. And I'm not following the crowd.

I listen to Sentenced for God's sake.
Anima_Severem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #35
SandyTree

Miss Marilyn Mr Manson sucks,Sensationalistic pop music&weird disco..
I don't think his goth is goth,maybe haunted industrial?
SandyTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #36
aperson

Well I think marilyn manson is awesome! I love nearly all his stuff high end of low was ok to me.
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #37
Angelic Dissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felreaper View Post
Ah, I didn't see this at first. When I say true music, it means music made by those who know what they're talking about (as opposed to fake depression, and stupid/impossible political ideas) and who can play their instruments in a way that would sound good without heavy electronic noise and distortion. Well... in the case of music with the guitars, the electronic noise is fine for industrial bands...
I assume GWAR is out of the question....as well as all Black Metal. Of course, by this definition, SliPkNoT is FInE. Garage punk bands are not. Right?

I think Marilyn Manson's real name is 'Tom' or something and he is a slave to his image for all eternity. He is a total dick with a handful of cool songs, those being essentially his cover of Tainted Love and The Beautiful People. DYK: he covered a song by London After Midnight?
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #38
Devil's Darling

His real name is Brian Hugh Warner.
I always liked Manson ever since I was a little kid and he will always be my favorite.
Yeah it's true he changed his style...so what ? He's getting older and realizing stuff,of course his style is going to change too.
Uh and I don't recall him covering London After Midnight.
I love your eyes, my darling friend, Their play so passionate and bright'ning, When a sudden stare up you send, And like a heaven-blown lightning, It'd take in all from end to end But there's more that I admire: Your eyes when they're downcast In bursts of love-inspired fire And through the eyelash goes fast A somber, dull call of desire...
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #39
Angelic Dissonance

Sigh... As much as my previous post sounded like a put-down, he does seem like the kind of guy I could hang out with--maybe even have an intellectual discussion. I simply cannot put up with all that he stands for. I'm pretty sure he covered London After Midnight.... I read it in a reveiw somewhere. If he didn't, oh well.... he did EURYTHMICS and Soft Cell. I just really don't like shock rock---not like he does it, and especially his anti-Christian thing. Anyone who claims to be the Antichrist is a loser on SO many levels.... but that's a personal thing, and I hope you forgive me for it.

P.S. I'm looking for that song, I don't know which one it is.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
Devil's Darling

Well I don't think he claimed to be the REAL antichrist.[The word 'Antichrist', to me, is the collective disbelief in god. - Marilyn Manson].
And yes I know he has a BIG anti-christian thing don't know why actually.I guess all people have something they must obsess over.^^

Oh and If you do find the London After Midnight cover could you tell me what song it is?
I love your eyes, my darling friend, Their play so passionate and bright'ning, When a sudden stare up you send, And like a heaven-blown lightning, It'd take in all from end to end But there's more that I admire: Your eyes when they're downcast In bursts of love-inspired fire And through the eyelash goes fast A somber, dull call of desire...
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #41
SiouxsiePernova

He is just a cheap rip-off of Rozz Williams.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #42
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez_928 View Post
I don't think the level of an artist's mainstream success should deter a person from listening to him/her. If you like Marilyn Manson, listen to Marilyn Manson. If you like Nine Inch Nails, listen to Nine Inch Nails. If you like The Cruxshadows, :wumpscut:, KFMDM, or Combichrist, listen to them. Music is music, and it has the potential to be incredibly moving to an individual regardless of how much mainstream exposure said artist has received. Personally, I didn't care for Manson's Eat Me Drink Me, but I like his older stuff. I haven't heard The High End of Low, but if I enjoy it, I'll listen to it alongside Bauhaus, The Cure, Skinny Puppy, VNV Nation, etc.
it makes me sad inside that you put Nine Inch Nails, Cruxshadows, Wumpscut, KMFDM, and Combichrist in the same shitlist as Manson while simultaneously putting Skinny Puppy and VNV Nation alongside Bauhaus.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #43
Cicero

So who else is amused at how fat he is now? I like how he tries to paint on his chin.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #44
Felreaper

God, that is so funny, he used to be all skinny and shit, and now he's totally fat, it's hilarious!
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #45
Saya

He's chubby now but I wouldn't call him fat. But then I feel horrible about mocking anyone for their weight.

He does have eyebrows now and its funny, I know a girl who's the spitting image of him.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #46
Pineapple_Juice

Is that bad for him or her?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #47
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
A friend of mine is always trying to convince me to listen to his shitty music tastes. He was saying that I should listen to Manson's new album because it's totally political.
He's a friend, but I wanted to punch him in the face for saying that stupidity.
How is capitalizing off of angsty teens not political? It's exploitation of the feeling of alienation in teenagers via the callous cash nexus. (thank you, Marx)
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #48
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Darling View Post
And yes I know he has a BIG anti-christian thing don't know why actually.
Christianity being at best an opiate for the masses at best, and an ignorance spreading disease at worst isn't enough of a reason to constantly rant against it?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #49
Pineapple_Juice

Well also Jesus dead and nailed to some wood by his wrists gives me the willies.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #50
Lurci

I hate to bring this back up but can a mod lock this one for me?
This was a dumb thread and i apologize for making it.
Lurci is offline   Reply With Quote