Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #76
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace View Post
There was a point to that, sans the Ad Hominem?
Yes. The point is that homeschooling cripples children when it's time to actually integrate into society at large, which as it turns out is an inevitability, scary as that notion may be to their bible beating delusional parental units.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #77
Krick Wurkheiser

Now at that I just have to laugh...
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #78
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Yes. The point is that homeschooling cripples children when it's time to actually integrate into society at large, which as it turns out is an inevitability, scary as that notion may be to their bible beating delusional parental units.
And you base this off what? Sounds like you are pulling stereotypes out your ass.

I had a bit of trouble in the transition, yes. But I quickly overcame it, and I must say, I've been far more successful in maturing into my adult life than most the people around me who were not home schooled.

Fact is friend, you are applying a blanket stereotype to all home educated and public schooled individuals, instead of treating them as. well, individuals. I know some incredibly socially dysfunctional public schoolers, as well as some very dysfunctional home schoolers. On the flip side, I know well adjusted, well educated individuals from both backgrounds. There are advantages to both and I think discounting everyone because of a background is boarding dangerously close to bigotry.

Let's compare (Warning: highly inaccurate hyperboles presented below):

Home schoolers are socially inept and will never be able to integrate into 'normal' society.

Intercity blacks will grow up to be gang members, murders and rapist (*cough, cough* Think we heard this one before, aye?).

Goths listen to satanic music that will cause them to go on a shooting spree in a public place.

There's my point, now be gone little kid.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #79
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Warning: highly inaccurate hyperboles presented below
Man, you really summed up your whole post there.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #80
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Man, you really summed up your whole post there.
Can you please go take a class on fallacious reasoning and logical arguments? I know they stopped teaching logic in high school curriculum, but surely your local community college offers a class.

Seriously, I have more important things to do with my time than fuck with some punk-ass kid on an internet forum.

I was here to offer advice to someone seeking it, not yak with you.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #81
vindicatedxjin

Being home schooled myself, I totally agree with Krick. Although many of my friends growing up were indeed public and private schooled, I found that my home schooled friends were much more capable and willing to just sit and chat with adults and about topics that most kids considered to be boring, or probably have absolutely no knowledge about. Me and my other friends that were home schooled were all somewhat "gothic" if you will, there weren't very many of us maybe like 7 but we were all very close from a young age because our mothers were all friends and would take us to museums, amusement parks, the usual field trips, etc etc, together. Once we were all in highschool we pretty much all did the duel credit courses at our community college together...at the same time we had developed our own theater group and actually won several competitions against our surrounding public schools. After high school one of my friends started a metal band, of which is really big here in Dallas. The rest of my friends are attending Baylor University and the University of Texas. I'm the only one out of the group that dropped out of college because I landed my photography job here at the website that I work at now. Homeschooled kids are not stupid. And they are far from unsociable.

Btw...the majority of my friends that were public schooled, dropped out of either high school or college and most of them don't have jobs.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #82
DepthsofSpace

Off subject, but you are in Cedar Hill? I was born in Ft. Worth. I love Dallas and plan to spend a few days down there next week.

How is the club scene in Dallas?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #83
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Btw...the majority of my friends that were public schooled, dropped out of either high school or college and most of them don't have jobs.
But I'm the one making generalizations? Just goes to show you are indeed a hypocritical whore

-Mr. Filth
Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #84
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
But I'm the one making generalizations? Just goes to show you are indeed a hypocritical whore
At least she is referencing personal experiences, which might not be concrete evidence, but is better than just stating supposed 'facts' with nothing else. Now, fuck off and die.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #85
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Off subject, but you are in Cedar Hill? I was born in Ft. Worth. I love Dallas and plan to spend a few days down there next week.

How is the club scene in Dallas?

Schweet!!!

Club scene is pretty awesome, but Austins better. ^_^ Do you come here often?

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #86
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
No I'm not. You're just a bleep bleep.....

Bring Kontan Back

Last edited by vindicatedxjin; 11-03-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: too mean ^_^
Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #87
Solumina

Anecdotal evidence is all well and good for forming opinions but it cannot be used as the basis for facts, especially when you are looking at short term verses long term success rates when one group has clearly had a more intimate support system to ensure success and you only have information regarding the period of time immediately following their movement away from this support structure.

Long term success rates that I have seen do not support the advocacy of home schooling or private schooling, if anything they support public schooling coupled with at home enrichment but even as such that does not mean that there will be 100% success, just look at me, I had every advantage growing up, I'm incredibly gifted, and likable so by all logic I should be quite successful but shit happens and I'm currently an unemployed college drop out. I also know people who went to terrible schools, had terrible families, are complete morons, and have no idea how to interact with most people but they have managed to get lucky and are currently enjoying rather successful lives.

Honestly I would have loved it if Krick had those statistics, a research paper like that would have been a lovely way to get back into the academic path but there is a reason I was doubtful about that "fact" and that is because I do know social learning theory and I do know basic developmental psychology and they just don't support someone who has less interaction with their peer group being more socially competent that those who have had more interaction.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #88
Krick Wurkheiser

You know, I think I've changed my mind. I could not help but see the many glaring errors in my argument after being forced face-to-face with Pos' infallible viewpoint. Besides:

"Homeschooling cripples children" - Not a generalization
"Bible beating delusional parental units" - Not a generalization, either.

This person clearly has something between their ears...
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #89
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
At least she is referencing personal experiences, which might not be concrete evidence, but is better than just stating supposed 'facts' with nothing else. Now, fuck off and die.
Very intelligent. I can see how good you are at social interaction! Have you moved out of your parents' basement yet? You know, the one with the stockpile of food saved up for the coming apocalypse?

-Mr. Filth
Old 11-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #90
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Schweet!!!

Club scene is pretty awesome, but Austins better. ^_^ Do you come here often?
I would like too. I am moving to Nevada for a few years, but I will be traveling a lot for work. My mother's extended family is in Dallas still. I'm going to see them.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #91
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Honestly I would have loved it if Krick had those statistics, a research paper like that would have been a lovely way to get back into the academic path but there is a reason I was doubtful about that "fact" and that is because I do know social learning theory and I do know basic developmental psychology and they just don't support someone who has less interaction with their peer group being more socially competent that those who have had more interaction.
I see what you're trying to say, but in reality it just isn't always the case. I am not a psychologist, but I know that I had no trouble at all fitting in - after 1-3 days at school, I was just another member of the community. Although, as with many of us here, I had 'alternative' taste in music and books and so forth, I was one of the far-better adjusted. As Jin said, I could talk to anyone on any topic, something I've found lacking among many. Since you brought up being 'gifted', I am said to be a genius at learning foreign language by many of the teachers at my academy.

Being brought up at home was a fantastic intellectual advantage - I read all sorts of books on all sorts of subjects, made my own choices and formed my own opinions, as my parents encouraged free thought and are rather unorthodox in many of their viewpoints. As a consequence, I am able to entertain myself alone via intellectual pursuits as well and happily as I can going to a cinema with friends.

Last edited by Krick Wurkheiser; 11-03-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #92
vindicatedxjin

Solumina, I assume that your biggest concern about homeschooling is purely the fact that the children will be "socially stunted." But I can assure you that the "majority" of home schooled children are so freaking busy that they don't have time to be stunted. I was constantly around other kids, I had horseback riding, dance, theater, art, music lessons, debate club...on top of curriculum...on top of being involved in church, on top of my mom having me volunteer at a freaking homeless shelter once I got older.

I understand that there might be home schooled kids whom appear to be shy and awkward...but that isn't always the case.

I don't disagree with public or private school whatsoever, my own children might one day end up in the school system, although I would rather them not. Fact is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with homeschooling, if you are financially able, and intelligent.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #93
PortraitOfSanity

See, you can't accuse me of generalizing when you yourself suggest that home schooled people are smarter than those with a public education. That's called being a hypocritical douche bag.

-Mr. Filth
Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #94
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
See, you can't accuse me of generalizing when you yourself suggest that home schooled people are smarter than those with a public education. That's called being a hypocritical douche bag.
If you're speaking to me, I'm not generalizing. I'm relating my personal experiences, which are as I stated. You're the one discoursing vehemently (albeit irrationally) on a subject you appear to know next to nothing about.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #95
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
I would like too. I am moving to Nevada for a few years, but I will be traveling a lot for work. My mother's extended family is in Dallas still. I'm going to see them.

Nice, you should visit the hookah bars in deep ellum... they closed one of my favorite clubs which was the gypsy tea room D: But the lizard lounge is still there, and on Sundays they turn it into the church which is when all the goths go...its pretty fun, they have burlesque nights which you would probably like hehe!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #96
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Very intelligent. I can see how good you are at social interaction! Have you moved out of your parents' basement yet? You know, the one with the stockpile of food saved up for the coming apocalypse?
Let's see...

A) They don't have a basement.

B) I've been out for a while now.

C) We finished eating the Y2K stockpile up about five years ago. Thought about starting my own. Dry goods = nom-tastic

Sir, allow me to introduce myself. I am a twenty-two year old intelligence analyst with the Department of the Navy, who is about to start a Masters degree program this next year. Currently, I am moving myself to Nevada from Virginia Beach (where I lived most of this year). I have one of the highest security clearance possible (TS/SCI) in this country and will make more money this next year than you'll see in a while. My job entails that I communicate accurately and effectively with a varied host of individuals in order to protect thousands of human lives.

When you do something with your life and time, come back and we'll talk. Until then, please take my previous advice.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #97
vindicatedxjin

Quote:

POS, I never said that home schooled people were smarter. I told you that all my home schooled friends are now in Universities, while most of the public schooled ones were drop outs...that's mere fact.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #98
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
with the Department of the Navy,
I lost the remainder of my respect for you at this sentence.

-Mr. Filth
Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #99
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
POS, I never said that home schooled people were smarter. I told you that all my home schooled friends are now in Universities, while most of the public schooled ones were drop outs...that's mere fact.
If you can't see the stupidity of that statement, I'm sorry for you...

No wait, I'm actually not sorry.

-Mr. Filth
Old 11-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #100
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
If you can't see the stupidity of that statement, I'm sorry for you...

No wait, I'm actually not sorry.

Haha you are pitiful.

Bring Kontan Back