Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Noirette

Leather coats.

How do you take care of them?

I bought a cheep one in the summer, and even after it was dry-cleaned, the leather is pretty hard and ugly.
Any suggestions?
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
PortraitOfSanity

Any generic leather cleaner/softener/treatment. You can get it at shoe stores, or any leather oriented store.

Really cheap leather will get hard and gross eventually no matter what you do though. Someone explained to me how once, but I forget, something to do with the shittier grain of the leather.

You're really better off sucking it up and buying the good stuff than wasting your money and time replacing the cheap shit.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Solumina

I use saddle soap on my leather when it needs to be cleaned and leather conditioner every few months. I had tack well before I ever had leather clothing so I just take care of it the same way, maybe not the best thing to do but it seems to work pretty well.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
prophecyofdoom

When I have time, which is usually about once a year, I lay out all my leather coats and boots, and (1) clean with saddle soap (2) blacken with black shoe polish -yes, shoe polish on the jackets too, (3) finish with some kind of leather weatherproofing stuff. Ta-daa, like new I have the same leather jacket I bought when I was fourteen, it's still in perfect condition, and I wear it every single day.

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...CIMG0245-1.jpg

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Haunted House

Haha. I don't take care of mine at all. It's a REALLY old hand-me-down that was in rough shape when I got it. The lining is faded and ripped all over, it has many many holes from pins and patches, and the leather itself is wearing and fading and roughed up. A few metal snaps came off and the zipper pull is nowhere to be found. I like it that way, though. Gives it that "may have been worn by a dead guy in the ground for several years" charm. But, if you don't like that then follow the advice of the other people here. They know what's up.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Pyre

I am with Haunted House on this. My jacket is approximately a 12+ year old hand-me-down that has never been cleaned. It's in pretty good condition, but I don't wear it much during warm months. The interior has staining and is ripping, but the leather itself is just fine. Though, it wasn't cheap, so that may be the case. I really like the jacket and like the aged look--gives appeal! But, I think I stepped on it once and broke the zipper pull off :-/

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Serren

My husband puts patchouli oil on his, apparently it feeds the leather.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote