Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
Saya

I'll check it out!

Meanwhile, I think Winick doesn't know how to write about Africa in Batwing. I think its awesome that the whole Batman Inc has gone international and there's more diversity in the Batverse, but what's the point if you treat Africa as if its like one big country, and don't seem to know about any pressing issues in the DRC?

Now, he's handled the civil war front in the DRC by saying a group of superheroes worked to end it. And that makes sense in a world where there are superpowers, but what about conflict minerals, what happened to all the different military forces? Oh, you're just going to write about a drug ring.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #27
CuckooTuli

About to start Preacher. I've heard good things about this one...
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #28
Saya

Can you let me know how it goes? My knowledge of religion and pop culture is expanding and becoming more relevant in school XD I kinda wish there was a Bitch equivalent for Religious Studies.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #29
CuckooTuli

I shall do, just as soon as my shipment of pretties arrives. I love doing comic shops.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
Saya

Batman: Holy Terror finally came in the mail, and it was awesome. Basically, the Handmaid's Tale only with superheroes. I wish they made a miniseries with this though, I think there would be a lot of potential.

Also SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER at the end where Batman reaffirms his faith and vows to take down the theocratic system, he talks about people who are helping him with his "jihad." Oh, simpler times where we could use the term jihad without people accusing you of being a Muslim terrorist.

On another front, more of a movie front, but Whedon was in a interview where he talked about the Wonder Woman script he got booted off:

Quote:
She was a little bit like Angelina Jolie [laughs]. She sort of traveled the world. She was very powerful and very naïve about people, and the fact that she was a goddess was how I eventually found my in to her humanity and vulnerability, because she would look at us and the way we kill each other and the way we let people starve and the way the world is run and she’d just be like, None of this makes sense to me. I can’t cope with it, I can’t understand, people are insane. And ultimately her romance with Steve was about him getting her to see what it’s like not to be a goddess, what it’s like when you are weak, when you do have all these forces controlling you and there’s nothing you can do about it. That was the sort of central concept of the thing. Him teaching her humanity and her saying, OK, great, but we can still do better.
http://rookiemag.com/2011/11/yay-geo...joss-whedon/3/

Whedon, you break my heart. Wonder Woman: The Taming of the Goddess, where the man shows the woman to be vulnerable and weak. What happened to "wise as Athena"?

More importantly, comics have moved on from Steve as her love interest. He was just friends with her in the last (and presumably current) continuity and married someone else. Wonder Woman has had a few love interests since but aside from things like Nemesis being a cute comic relief, she's incredibly independent and far from needy. With Nemesis it felt more like he was the Lois to her Superman, but I feel like aside from Simone everyone just wants to pump out stereotypical shit and don't want to have a strong woman with a man she needs to protect and take care of. I'm not saying she shouldn't have a love interest at all, its just that Whedon makes it look like that the strong Amazon warrior needs to be made more feminine in a cliche romantic comedy "let the man show you how things work and then make you feel better" way. And I hate how Steve has been popping up to fill that role, really makes me hate that guy. He was always saying sexist shit in the old old comics, in the animated movie his purpose is to show her that gender roles are fine and she shouldn't challenge them too much, and awesomely tries to get her drunk so he can take advantage of her, and in the TV show the intention was for her to "pine for Steve like Carrie pines for Big". Both were terrible failures financially, you wonder why they would keep trying to do that.

Makes me glad we won't see a Wonder Woman movie.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #31
Grausamkeit

As if I needed more reason to dislike Whedon.

Wasn't Buffy the same way? Terrible.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
Versus

I LIKED BUFFER I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. spooky black number 1
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #33
Grausamkeit

It's okay, Peaches, I still like Care Bears.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #34
Versus

That's weird how I meant to say 'Buffy,' but it came out 'Buffer' and still makes sense.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #35
Grausamkeit

If it helps, I thought you were joking when you typed that. It still works, just go with it.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #36
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Can you let me know how it goes? My knowledge of religion and pop culture is expanding and becoming more relevant in school XD I kinda wish there was a Bitch equivalent for Religious Studies.
So, this just in: Preacher is awesome. Definitely my favourite new comic I've found in a while.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #37
Saya

Also, there was an animated show that I used to love called Cybersix, and I never knew it came from a comic until recently. I downloaded a translation (its Argentinian) and was a little disturbed seeing a beloved children's cartoon character spend an awful lot of time looking in the mirror naked, navel gazing about how she is a monster.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #38
Saya

Wonder Woman #4 is awesome. Turns out Diana is a big fan of heavy metal, and after having a fight with her mom in #3, she takes Hermes and Strife to a show to cheer herself up. I honestly like character development issues like this more so than I like ACTION ACTION ACTION, and it has a American Gods feel to it that I love.

Batwoman #5 was also a good conclusion to the arc. I was a little wary with #4, I was really afraid Bette was going to be a woman in a refrigerator, but it seems less likely now. Slight spoiler, Kate decides she needs to stop blaming herself for what happened to her sister, and makes peace with her. I'm glad she's not going to mope about it from here to eternity, unlike some other cape crusaders I know.

Also I was sad that the Huntress mini was only going to be for six issues (have I mentioned that one is kick ass as well? It is.), but it was announced yesterday that she and Power Girl are going to have a comic together! Yay!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #39
Saya

Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #40
Murder.Of.Crows

What is going on there? Batwoman looks angry as all hell. That is some creepy window snakes. And why is wonder woman involved? Saya! I must know!

S
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #41
Saya

Don't know yet! This is the cover for 12, 9 is coming out this month. Batwoman covers tend to be weird and not necessarily showing a scene from the comic.

All I can tell you is that if Batwoman can't be with Renee right now, I'm totes fine with her being with Wonder Woman.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #42
Murder.Of.Crows

So I just read the first new wonder woman comic ( I think it was the new one). I have to say i was a little disappointed. I was expecting her costume to be redone, since it never made any sense as to why she was patriotic, or why it had to be so skimpy. The story seems to be good though, but it was only the first issue. So I can't be sure, still I am intrigued.

As for the batwoman cover. I have never read one of her comics, so I just assumed that they were usually relevant. Still it makes me want to know what it's about. Badly. lol
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #43
Saya

I really recommend Batwoman, at least the first arc. The new one jumps around a lot and I'm thinking its one of those arcs where its not going to make a whole lot of sense until you read the whole thing. Her origin story Elegy is in trade right now too. I think you'd like it, she's a lesbian who was kicked out of the army for being gay, and then didn't know what else to do with her life until she met Batman and realized she could do that.

Wonder Woman's costume was redone, she doesn't have the patriotic panties anymore. Its black with only four stars on her hips.

I'm having a hard time with one of the changes the new comic made D: Other than that, I'm enjoying it. But that one thing really bugs me.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
Murder.Of.Crows

What one change are you having a hard time with? As for the ex army lesbian that kicks ass, I'm fucking sold.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #45
Saya

SPOILER, so previously Wonder Woman's origin was that her mother made her out of clay and prayed to the gods to bring the baby to life, which they did. Wonder Woman was sent to the world of man to bring Amazonian values to it. Paradise Island was, well, paradise and a utopia occupied solely by immortal women.

Now, it turns out the clay story was a lie, her mother was actually impregnanted by Zeus. And I could handle that, much as I loved the clay story. BUT THEN she runs into Hephaestus who tells her that the Amazons reproduce by getting on ships, seducing men in their ships, then killing them and throwing them overboard. They go back, give birth and only keep the female babies, the males they sell into slavery to Hephaestus to work for him in the forge.

I get what they're going for, making her more Greek instead of utopic, but it just rots me. Of COURSE a society of women will be evil, right? And if the Amazons are actually that horrible, what's the point of her mission? How did she ever not know that? Wouldn't they have expected her to do the same? Wouldn't she NOT have been the only kid growing up on Paradise Island? ARGH.

I'm hoping the next writer will just reveal that Hephaestus was lying to fuck with Wondy. It IS a little odd that he wants to help her out of the goodness of his heart.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #46
Murder.Of.Crows

Well, yeah that does kind of suck, but it does kind of go with the old tales of the Amazonians. But, I'd be able to live with it as long as they removed her weakness being precariously tied up in bondage like situations.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #47
Saya

Comixology has a lot of good free comics, I'd really recommend Glory #23 (its okay if you haven't read Glory before, I promise, it gets you up to speed), which is like a really awesome Wonder Woman, Fatale #1 and Saga #1.

Athough I'm not sure if I'll continue with Saga because while it was weird and good, I have a feeling its going to be super sad.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #48
Saya

Also MoC, I found out, Wonder Woman and Batwoman are fighting Medusa together.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #49
Saya

Spam aside, everyone should pick up Deadpool #1, its pretty hilarious. Madman resurrects dead presidents to save America, but they're corrupted and evil. After Captain America decapitates evil undead Truman, SHIELD realizes they can't have heroic heroes being photographed killing presidents, so they get Deadpool to do it. "America's real heroes can't be seen fighting our dead presidents. No, Wade, you're not the hero we want, you're the scumbag we need."

Also, Womanthology has two issues out that are really good, and Vertigo has a one shot Ghosts anthology that is really enjoyable. Has a feminist ghost story!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #50
Murder.Of.Crows

Hey Saya, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable of comic books. Do you know of any comics with a transgender main character. I would kind of love that right now. Need something that will cheer me up. Or, i should just get a cat... yeah... kitty