Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #1651
Amunet

I just realized how much I miss my family, and I'm pretty upset that the only reason I can't go up and see them is because I'm fucking broke all the time.

grr.
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #1652
Ben Lahnger

Having a 4 room igloo with 6 foot ceilings takes the sting out of being homeless ... especially if one of the rooms is an entertainment room with a television, cable and surround-sound stereo. Plus, the beer's always cold!

Unemployed Ohio man chills out in extreme igloo

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #1653
Stormtrooper of Death

Hey, things may be looking up in the romance area, I hope anways. What do you guys think about a younger guy dating an older woman?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #1654
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Hey, things may be looking up in the romance area, I hope anways. What do you guys think about a younger guy dating an older woman?
it really is circumstantial. Age is a number, and if you are just YOURSELF, and the other person is themselves, and you mesh, well then it works.

I know people in that situation that failed, and I know people in that situation who ended up in a happy marriage. It's up to you both to make it work. Congrats =)
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #1655
the-nihilist

I was thinking about picking up that post-apocalyptic novel "The Road."
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #1656
MissCheyenne

My kettle broke. Just when I wanted a cup of tea as well.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #1657
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
It works...I suppose...depends on how much older.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #1658
FlowerGirl

Quote:
You want me to tell you age is nothing but a number - yeah, it's just a number. but I'll tell you this: no one in the world gives a crap if you're 18 dating a 50 year old. But a 13 year old girl having an affair with a 17 year old guy, leaves us being called whores for what feels like a lifetime.
Boys get praised for sleeping around. Girls don't have that kind of authority.
In the end, the scars run deeper for us. What i'm trying to say is - if you're a guy - the age gap doesn't really matter unless you're banging a married MILF with 4 kids.
FlowerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #1659
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
It works...I suppose...depends on how much older.
Well, she's 30 and I'm 19
Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #1660
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Well, she's 30 and I'm 19
I think it's interesting that you said "romance" and "dating" and others jumped to "marriage", "sleeping with", "banging", etc.

The onus on making a wise decision is on her because of her experience. The only responsibility you have is to be sincere, and try to be clear about both your short term and long term goals. There is an allure for a young man to have a more experienced woman show him the nuances of romance or whatever else may follow. What would be healthy in this situation is if you are interested in her because of who she is, not because of her age or experience.

If you get that right, to hell with what other people think.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #1661
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
The heartwarming tale of how a father and son forge a bond of love while traveling a post-holocaust wasteland with no hope of survival? Sounds just like your cup of tea! LOL!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #1662
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirl View Post
no one in the world gives a crap if you're 18 dating a 50 year old. But a 13 year old girl having an affair with a 17 year old guy, leaves us being called whores for what feels like a lifetime.
Seriously? I must be out of touch. I'm 3 times your age but I seriously wouldn't be shocked at a 13 year old girl dating a 17 year old guy. It's only a 4 year difference. Granted, it's probably a crucial 4 years to someone's development but it wouldn't surprise me to see it happening. Rather than question the girl's motives I would be more inclined to question the guy's motives for dating a girl that age.

If you're speaking from personal experience tell your critics you know a 40 year old who thinks it's quite normal.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #1663
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
I haven't read the book though I have seen the film, and it is without a doubt, THE most utterly depressing thing I have ever watched in my life.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #1664
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
The heartwarming tale of how a father and son forge a bond of love while traveling a post-holocaust wasteland with no hope of survival? Sounds just like your cup of tea! LOL!
The Road was excellent. I recently read it myself. At first I thought it looked like an easy read (and an easy write) because it was so shallow and mostly dialogue but on re-reading it I was impressed at how well he forced so much emotion and characterization into what is mostly mundane conversation. He did an excellent job considering the few characters and quick flow of the book.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #1665
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
You want me to tell you age is nothing but a number - yeah, it's just a number. but I'll tell you this: no one in the world gives a crap if you're 18 dating a 50 year old. But a 13 year old girl having an affair with a 17 year old guy, leaves us being called whores for what feels like a lifetime.
Boys get praised for sleeping around. Girls don't have that kind of authority.
In the end, the scars run deeper for us. What i'm trying to say is - if you're a guy - the age gap doesn't really matter unless you're banging a married MILF with 4 kids.
First of all, the expression "having an affair" in it's most popularly used form means one or both parties are married to someone else. Second, in this country, any 17 year old boy who is sleeping with a 13 year old girl should be brought up on statutory r@pe charges. And the 13 year old girl, being considered by law in this country as being incapable of giving consent, should be considered nothing more or less than the tragic victim.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #1666
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
Seriously? I must be out of touch. I'm 3 times your age but I seriously wouldn't be shocked at a 13 year old girl dating a 17 year old guy. It's only a 4 year difference. Granted, it's probably a crucial 4 years to someone's development but it wouldn't surprise me to see it happening. Rather than question the girl's motives I would be more inclined to question the guy's motives for dating a girl that age.

If you're speaking from personal experience tell your critics you know a 40 year old who thinks it's quite normal.
bottom line - age makes a difference, in my opinion, whether you like it or not.
you think roses are so red and lovely but people often forget about the thorns.

i'm not going to argue with a 39 year old adult...i just hate seeing how many girls get their hearts broken.
*touchwood* hopefully it won't happen to me, i've been asked out many times, but i've never had a bf. (guess that answers to your 'personal experience' Q)
Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #1667
FlowerGirl

Quote:
First of all, the expression "having an affair" in it's most popularly used form means one or both parties are married to someone else. Second, in this country, any 17 year old boy who is sleeping with a 13 year old girl should be brought up on statutory r@pe charges. And the 13 year old girl, being considered by law in this country as being incapable of giving consent, should be considered nothing more or less than the tragic victim.
Sigh.. i'm not referring to myself, if that's what you think
(underage sex happens everywhere! it's not really such a big deal compared to drug posession/burglary over here).

I'm going to read The Road now.
kthxbai.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #1668
Underwater Ophelia

The only weird thing about a 19 year old boy and a 30 year old woman is her motive. Boys generally mature slower than girls, so she's WAY ahead of you. She either wants something from you that has little to do with your personality--sex/youthful feeling/brag to her friends, or there's something wrong with her and she can't get a man her own age.

Either way, if you're cool with it, go with it, you know?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #1669
vindicatedxjin

Bahahah naughty little cemetary!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #1670
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
(underage sex happens everywhere! it's not really such a big deal compared to drug posession/burglary over here).

Happening everywhere doesn't make a thing good or bad.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #1671
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post

Bahahah naughty little cemetary!
Lmao. I think I actually like you.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #1672
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Second, in this country, any 17 year old boy who is sleeping with a 13 year old girl should be brought up on statutory r@pe charges. And the 13 year old girl, being considered by law in this country as being incapable of giving consent, should be considered nothing more or less than the tragic victim.
How does that law work anyway? Isn't 17 under age as well? What happens if both partners are under age? Is it still a crime, and who is the victim and who is the criminal? What about a 13 year old girl and a 15 or 14 year old boy? For that matter, what about me playing doctor with the neighborhood girls when we were all under 12? Surely, the authorities don't investigate every kid who gets caught playing doctor.

In other news: I just converted 62 CDs to MP3 and fit them onto a single DVD. I love technology.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #1673
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
How does that law work anyway? Isn't 17 under age as well? What happens if both partners are under age? Is it still a crime, and who is the victim and who is the criminal? What about a 13 year old girl and a 15 or 14 year old boy? For that matter, what about me playing doctor with the neighborhood girls when we were all under 12? Surely, the authorities don't investigate every kid who gets caught playing doctor.
Generally, in most states, the age of consent is 16. There are variables from state to state, but usually if one party is over the age of consent and the other party is at least 2 years younger and under the age of consent, there can be prosecution. THIS lays out the law by state as of 2003.

Universally, the law in the United States views someone who is 13 as being legally incapable of giving consent. That person is judged to not be able to assess the possible consequences of their actions. As such, it is the role of the state (and any other interested protectorate agencies - child protective services, the school system, etc.) to protect that child from being abused, regardless of the age of the protagonist. "Playing doctor" is not reason for the protective parties to abscond from their responsibility.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #1674
vindicatedxjin

Another bahahahahah...

Bring Kontan Back
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #1675
FlowerGirl

omg...LOLLLL.