Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Your-Disasterpiece

Ello

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I’m a full time student so I have little free time. I love to write and read, mostly existential pieces, but a few fiction pieces. I’m really into music and movies (cliché, but oh so very true).

2. Where are you from?
Las Vegas, Nevada….not by choice though. I’m nearly 20 so this town has little to offer.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Gaston Leroux, Anne Rice, Phillip Zimbardo, Irvin Yalom (I don’t really have a favorite)

4. What are your favorite films?
The Goonies, The Lost Boys, Death Race, Constantine, Queen of the Damned, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (I love movies, mostly horror and comedy)

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
IF I get married, metal and rock for sure (lots of Slipknot, Disturbed, Evanescence, Apocalyptica, Manson, Maiden, Sabbath)

6. At your funeral?
Again with the metal music (and don’t be all sad when I die, hello celebrate my life)

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Being goth does not necessarily mean you think about death, I prefer to think about living my life to the fullest and then when I die, I will do so under my own terms.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
I’d prefer cremation

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Black pants with any corset with a black velvet choker

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
The innocence and not having to worry about whom to trust or not to trust

11. What's your favorite band?
Slipknot, Evanescence, Marilyn Manson (those are top 3, but I’m a metal head completely)

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
Currently in college, I’m almost a senior and I’m just finishing my 2nd year here. I’m a psychology major with a minor in marriage and family therapy. I’m going to graduate school next fall to start work on my doctorate.

13. Why did you join?
Because I refuse to believe that I am the only person like me out there

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female and very proud of it
Your-Disasterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Mir

A lot of people will deride you for your taste in music. They forget that gawf rock is as shit as aforementioned bands.

Welcome.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Your-Disasterpiece

No matter to me, I stand by my bands. I'm into most music, but those bands inspire me based on their lyrical content, that's what's most important to me. Thanks for the heads up though =)
Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Deride deride deride deride!

I really don't care about your bands, except that Slipknot are a bunch of wankers.

Welcome! =D
Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Mir

We're all a bunch of wankers. Anyone that denies that is a liar. [ wanks whilst watching pickshures of Canvas ]
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Your-Disasterpiece

Naw I'm such a Maggot and I'll admit that any day. I met Corey once and he's a pretty awesome dude.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
isobel black

Forget what she mistakes for music, Queen of the Damned?

I've never heard of most of the authors you list but I think it's a safe bet that your literary tastes could stand to improve as well.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

A full hearted welcome from me. Don't mind a lot of the more hardcore people, I'm a punk and I still am accepted (kinda) if you need anything let me know. Cheers!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Your-Disasterpiece

Thanks for the welcome Stormtrooper. I'm not that hardcore either, I refuse to conform to any sterotype entirely, but my heart is with the gothic community that I can say. And the authors are mostly psychologists because that's my speciality (I understand dysfunction quite well).
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Stormtrooper of Death

Well I do hope you stick around. A lot of new people end up leaving within a few days so I hope that doesn't happen.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Your-Disasterpiece

Naw not me. This place seems pretty cool and welcoming (even with the remarks). It's hard to find individuals that have common interests and so far there are a few threads that peaked my interest.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
maggot

Tell me, what do you know of the gothic subculture? What are our musical tastes? I need to make sure you're talking out of your ass before I have a bitchfit. hah
Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Your-Disasterpiece

The gothic subculture, to me at least, is about expressing yourself in terms that make you feel comfortable, most of the time it has a tendency to be in opposition to the general views of society. Mainstream society doesn’t understand or want to understand certain aspects of the human psyche so rather than actually trying to learn, they merely label it as something dark and unnatural; so not the case. Being goth does not mean conforming to what society sees as gothic, it’s what you believe in; which does have a tendency to run along the lines of the darkness that exists in our world. I believe in dark things and I embrace the fear and excitement that comes with them.

My musical tastes are varied; I’m really into metal music, not so much the screamo stuff, but I’ll listen to some of it. The way music gets my attention is through lyrics. I’m a writer so what someone is trying to say through their lyrics is very important to me. I listen to a lot of stuff, but I listed my favorites in the original post. I prefer music with a harder tone to it, lots of guitar riffs and drums interests me more than most. I don’t apologize for my interests or beliefs and that pisses a lot of people off , but I really could care less because I am comfortable with who I am while most people merely conform to what they think they should be.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
Malice In Wonderland

So going to blather on about what "mainstream society doesn't understand?"

Goth is about listening to goth music.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
Your-Disasterpiece

There is more to goth than merely the music. It's about trying to understand the less than desirable aspects of the world in which we live; death, darkness, and taboos.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
korinna5555

Welcome :]
Old 04-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your-Disasterpiece View Post
There is more to goth than merely the music. It's about trying to understand the less than desirable aspects of the world in which we live; death, darkness, and taboos.

Uh no, it's mostly the music.

And literature...but mostly music.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
maggot

They're right. Literature and music. And the music isn't metal, at that. Check lout Bauhaus.

Actual I think Haunted should give this guy some deathrock references; it's more accessible to a metal fan. Note: deathrock is in no way related to death metal.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #19
Your-Disasterpiece

Yes literature and music do play a big part in the culture, but there is always more to any sub-culture than merely the artistic, expressionist aspects of it. The community itself plays a rather large role. And I do listen to goth music, hell I listen to practially all music, but my personal preference is for metal.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
maggot

Tell me some goth bands.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
maggot

I hope you understand my bluntness on this-- we get a lot of people here claiming they listen to "goth music" like Evanescence, Children of Bodom and Nightwish.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #22
Your-Disasterpiece

Sure, just to name a few, I’m gonna go with Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Cradle of Filth, Sex Gang Children, Love and Rockets, Frank the Baptist, Corpus Delicti. That’s goth music to me right there and I listen to every one of them.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #23
Saya

Quote:
Sure, just to name a few, I’m gonna go with Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Cradle of Filth, Sex Gang Children, Love and Rockets, Frank the Baptist, Corpus Delicti. That’s goth music to me right there and I listen to every one of them.
*facepalm*

I actually will admit, I do like Cradle, but can you tell me how you can listen to the Cure, then listen to Cradle, and say "Hey! You know what? Her Ghost In The Fog sounds just like Boys Don't Cry!"
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #24
maggot

They were all right but Cradle of Filth lol.

Good enough :B
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
The gothic subculture, to me at least, is about expressing yourself in terms that make you feel comfortable, most of the time it has a tendency to be in opposition to the general views of society.
Most goths, even genuine goths but especially false self-proclaimed goth, tend to be fashionably non-conformist, apathetic, egotistic, and consumerist.

Not exactly the epitome of rebelliousness towards the mainstream. In fact, where the fuck is the punk in all that rhetoric you said?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote