Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #51
Shemjazza

Lovecraft, Poe, Poppy Z Brite (lets get this straight, I am a walking, talking cliche), Gaiman, Vonnegut (God), e e cummings, Dylan Thomas, James K Baxter, Greg Bear, Isaac Asimov, David Brin, Tolkien....
the list goes on.
In my (not so) humble opinion, King is a hack.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #52
Greqoh

Favorite Authors...Crowley???

Great thread!

For horror I love Algernon Blackwood, H.P Lovecraft and Edgar Poe.

Not enough people read Blackwood. Lovecraft loved Lovecraft. If you like Lovecraft, read Blackwood.

For philosophy, I love Arthur Schopenhauer and Voltaire. Daoism/Taoism has taught me everything I ever needed to know in life.

Aleister Crowley? I studied him for many years. I have several of his books on my shelf, Liber Legis, Book of the Law, Book 4 ect....

I was very much into the occult, and I practiced the rituals for many years of the Golden Dawn, while I studied Crowley.

For anyone who has an interest on Crowley, let me offer my humble OPINION.
(I don't want to be arrogant or offensive)

Be careful with those people (Dion Fortune, Israel Regardie, Mathers and Crowley). They are not what they seem. Many of you won't believe there is any danger in them. That's fine.

The problem is, that they came off as experts adepts in things that they knew nothing of.

Direct to the point: Crowley...

The danger is tha he is not the same person that you read in his books.
It is easy to come off as something your not on paper.

But the fact is that while he encouraged people to be open about their sexuality, he himself would not admit he was gay.

While he told people to kill the personality, he himself remained attached to it (or perhaps pretended to be). This would make him a black brother who resided in Da'ath, for those of you who speak my language.

The foundation of his work, the Golden Dawn, was a huge misunderstanding of Hebrew/Qabalistic translations crossed with erroroneus Egyptian theology, which Mathers and Westcott never really understood.

Crowley presented ideas from Daoism/Budhism/yoga that no longer retained any of the original intentions, and were actually dangerous for his students.

Crowley did not really worship the devil, he worshipped himself. (A Black Brother).

Fortune was no better, with her hidden alliance with Crowley (If it was true).

The Golden dawn rituals do not protect, they OPEN you up to things. Disbelief does not protect.There are things that are very real, like parasites that watch people who do certain things like Enochian practices (Which G.D. and Crowley foolishly encouraged).

Ultimately, the people who founded these systems almost always lost their minds and died horribly under disturbing circumstances.

If you want magick, then believe in yourself.

Read the Tao Te Ching that Crowley PRETENDED to follow, and you will be cured of your interest in him.

Once I read Schopenhauer, I put away those dangerous practices.
There is no better philosopher than Arthur Schopenhauer.

I put references in my story Abigail 2, to the people I have written about because it was fiction. And they are fictitious teachers that belong in horror stories.

But it is your choice.

Do as thou wilt.
Greqoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #53
chancre_sore

Greqoh, you talk too much.
chancre_sore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #54
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggypicklemuncher
And Chuck Palahniuk.
soggypicklemuncher, you are a saint.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #55
yoyohappygirl

i'm interested in Edgar Allan Poe, last term i've just read his "The Fall of the House of Usher" ,but i feel a little confused about the plot and the psychologies of characters in this short story, so would anyone kind enough to make a comment?
moreover, what impresses you most of this story?
and how about the poem inserted in it? Does it work effectively?
yoyohappygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #56
Lady of Darkness

My favourite authors would have to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Maggie Shayne, Edgar Allen Poe and Anne Rice.
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:53 PM   #57
The Minister Saint-Fond

Colette, Zola, Balzac, Orwell, Osho, Zelazny, Lovecraft, Maupassant, The authors of the Unpanishads, and the guy who writes graffitti in bathroom C at Detroit's Cobo Hall.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 AM   #58
Lord Dagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
Oh yeah. George Orwell!
Can I safely assume you read things in Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms?

--Solinquair
Lord Dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:09 AM   #59
Saya

Edgar Allan Poe is awesome, satires and horror stories alike, though its his poetry I like the most. I like Laurie Halse Anderson (Speak was awesome), Bram Stoker, Philip Pullman, Robert Aitken, Oscar Wilde (his plays are okay but The Picture of Dorian Gray was great), e.e.cummings, Langston Hughes, Emily Dickenson and Shakespeare. I don't know if I like Stephen King....I only read Thinner (which was pretty dumb) and Dolores Claiborne (which I like.)
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #60
Lord Dagon

What I usually read is horror novels by Stephen King, but I also read fantasy and sci-fi.....well, as long as it has a story, I read pretty much everything...one book I severely enjoyed was Dragon DelaSangre, by Alan F. Troop....its good...

--Solinquair
Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #61
Smooth_Scar

my favorite writer is John Keats
Smooth_Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #62
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dagon
Can I safely assume you read things in Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms?
You guess rightly. Is my geekiness that obvious?

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:15 PM   #63
Scythan

I love science fiction. I used to read fantasy, but now it just bores me (unless it is a great writer with a very good story). My favorite authors currently are Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven, Frederik Pohl, Robert Heinlein, Dan Simmons, Jack Chalker and Greg Bear. I generally read about one book a week.
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #64
NightwishCobain

Cate Tiernan and Darren Shan are my favourites
NightwishCobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #65
Lord Dagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
You guess rightly. Is my geekiness that obvious?
You're not geeky, I read those too...my favorite authors from those series would have to be Douglas Niles or Richard A. Knaak....

--Solinquair
Old 10-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #66
nonfatsuperjesus

My most favorite author is Hunter S. Thompson. I've written five term papers on him, his life and his work. I believe that he almost single-handedly changed both journalism and research writing the most in the 20th century. If you haven't read his work, check it out. You will not be disappointed. BTW he was cremated and his ashes shot into the sky in fireworks, all according to his will. Too bad we all can't be that friggin cool.
nonfatsuperjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:13 AM   #67
Oubliette

Poppy Z. Brite (her horror), Nancy Collins, Laurel K Hamilton, Clive Barker, Peter Straub, Christopher Pike, Henry Rollins, Russel Banks, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Karl Edward Wagner
Oubliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #68
Oubliette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
Aleister Crowley is great...have you read anything by Israel Regardie or any other members of the GD?

how could I forget the author of Diary of a Drug Fiend? *smacks forehead*
Old 10-27-2005, 08:18 AM   #69
Oubliette

Stephen King isn't creepy at all. His writing, yes, but him, no. He's a very nice guy. I met him at a Red Sox game.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:32 PM   #70
Lord Dagon

Cool.....I wish I could meet him, but hes probably......58 by now....wow...old....

--Solinquair
Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #71
emeraldlonewoulf

Yes, Steven Kings' work is awesome. Have you read any of his work under the pen name Richard Bachman (I think that's the right name) ? There is a collection of four novels under that name I ran across about five months ago, they have a little different feel to them but they are good, nonetheless.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #72
Lord Dagon

Yeah, its Richard Bachman, and I'm currently reading "It". After that I want to read "The Stand". You do know why he used that pen name, right?
If you don't, its because he had published too many books and the publishers wouldn't allow him more than one book a year.

--Solinquair
Old 10-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #73
Circle V

"It" and "The Stand" are my two favorite King novels, excluding the Dark Tower series. I just finished "Black House," a collaboration between him and Peter Straub... good, but it was missing King's narrative voice that I love so much.

I like Stephen King, obviously. I also like Dean Koontz, HP Lovecraft, Tolkien, Ray Bradbury, Frank (and Brian, I suppose) Herbert, Poe, TS Eliot, Ernest Hemingway (on whose work I partly base my writing style on), Emily Dickenson, and... I can't think of any more.

I'd like to read some of Poppy Z Brite's books, but my mom was wary of them. She usually doesn't censor what I read, but she didn't like the looks of the books I showed her.
Circle V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM   #74
Lord Dagon

Yeah, I just finished "It" two nights ago and bought the stand last night. So far I've read of his, in order: Dreamcatcher, The Talisman, Black House, Gerald's Game, Hearts In Atlantis, Four Past Midnight, It. I'm currently working on "Insomnia".
I've also read things like 'The Moonshae Trilogy, The 3 "Diablo" Books, the Icewal Trilogy, and a bunch of other books for school, one of them was "The Old Man and The Sea"....I didn't like it so much....

--Solinquair
Old 11-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #75
Circle V

You should read the Dark Tower books. They're simply amazing.

I liked The Old Man and The Sea.

We're reading The Odyssey in school-- people keep looking at me funny because I laugh hysterically every time someone dies. I can't help it.

"(The Kyklops) grabbed a brace of men like squirming puppies to bash their brains out on the floor..."

I never expected ancient Greek literature to be so funny.
Circle V is offline   Reply With Quote