Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Romantigoth17

Gothic classical music.

I'm thinking of listening to more gothic classical music. If you could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.
Romantigoth17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
allyssa

Mozarts requiem. It is by far my favorite requiem mass. It was written on his death bed in a feverish torment. technically it was written for his father yet many musicians believe his untimely doom inspired the music, capturing the horror and magnificence of death . If after listening to it you like it then you should see the movie Amadeus
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Ráskógr

It might be considered by some almost impossible to point you to Gothic "Classiclal" music, since Classical music can be defined in different ways according to the periods and influences under which it was written. The broad eras of music are generally considered to be Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern/Contemporary, in that order from earliest to latest. Composers and music before the Baroque period are somewhat obscure, with most evidence being among religious orders in the form of plainsong and chant.

If it is classic orchestral, instrumental, vocal and choral music you are interested in, I could indicate a good starting point, since I have an ongoing topic on another forum which includes music from all the different periods, but I would need this forum's permission to post a link. I'll see what I can do.
Ráskógr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
vx cheerleader 69

Ligeti, Penderecki, Arvo Pärt, Sibelius, Messiaen, Orff...
vx cheerleader 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
blu

Also check out Prokofiev (revolutionary 20th century composer, lived through two world wars, known to have highly emotive, dark pieces, died on the same day as Stalin), Mussorgsky (personal fav, usually recognised for "Night on Bald Mountain" and the ever interesting "Pictures at an Exhibition"), Saint- Saëns (Danse Macabre, anyone? He's pretty cool in general, I'd go as far as to say a lot of his work is quite whimsical and darkly humorous)...

Personally I think many of late Romantic-era composers could have a fairly "gothic" flair to their work.

However, it depends on what your definition of "gothic classical music" is. If it is a certain aesthetic, then that of course is widespread throughout all the "classical" eras, past and present.

I have to say, one enigmatic Hildegard of Bingen of the 1100's is known for some pretty haunting compositions that are worth checking out. About the only plainchant I am able to listen to over extended periods of time. Absolutely superb and definitely has a bit of that "gothic" aesthetic you might be searching for.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
voodoowitchdr

It may not be "classical," but listen to "Tristram" form the Diablo soundtrack. This one song is a major contributer to my interest in classical guitar.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
vx cheerleader 69

talking about classical music : Leo Brouwer wrote very interesting pieces and studies... A friend of mine (Antoine, from TAT and Operation Of The Sun) sometimes performs a full set of classical guitar places in french goth clubs, it's really beautiful
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
Alchemical_Moxie

Not sure if this is what the OP was asking for, but if anyone could point out some more "dark" or "creepy" or "atmospheric" sounding classical music, I'd really appreciate it. Particularly if it involves violins - they're great because to me they're both inherently beautiful and inherently creepy.

But anyway. I have a playlist on the ol' ipod with a lot of creepy horror movie music but would love to find something similar, but less... well, "scene specific", I guess.
Alchemical_Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #9
vx cheerleader 69

lots of pieces by Penderecki and Ligeti are "dark and creepy" indeed, and are often heavily used in film scores (The Shining for instance)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
TheVikingsRevenge

Check out Nox Arcana
TheVikingsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
MaggotQueen

Location: A medieval monarch's cadaver underneath your bed amongst the oh so poetic-tongued dust bunnies
Mozart's "Lacrimosa"--he wrote it on his deathbed.
Evanescence did a modern cover on it and it is okay... but they changed enough to make it seem like a whole different song (added a bunch of lyrics, just with the whole chorus thing in the background). The original is gorgeous.
MaggotQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #12
vx cheerleader 69

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...k-gorecki-dies

Polish composer Henryk Górecki dies, aged 76

Classical musician who achieved unlikely fame with Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, composed in memory of the Holocaust

The Polish composer Henryk Górecki, whose desolate Symphony of Sorrowful Songs became an unlikely crossover hit, has died in Katowice, aged 76.

He had been ill for some time, but lived long enough to be awarded the Order of the White Eagle, the highest honour of his country, which was presented last month. He was due to attend a performance in London earlier this year of his fourth symphony, but it was cancelled owing to ill-health.

Górecki's international reputation grew through his work with orchestras like the London Sinfonietta and the Kronos Quartet, in the years after he resigned his post as professor of composition in Katowice, in protest against the communist authorities' refusal to welcome a visit by the Polish pope John Paul II.

He had been regarded as a pioneer of modernism in his own country, though later adopted a more pared-down, minimalist style and became noted for religious music. In 1992, a recording of his then 15-year-old third symphony, also known under the title of the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, was released to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust: it became a worldwide critical and popular success. The material he incorporated included a 15th-century lament, a Silesian folk song, and words written by a teenage girl on the wall of her Gestapo prison cell. At one point, the disc reached number 6 in the general album charts, and it became a staple at funerals. It has since sold more than a million copies.

He was born in 1933 in Silesia, in south west Poland, to two talented amateur musicians, and first studied violin. He studied composition and then joined the staff of the state academy of music in Katowice, where his students regarded him as brilliant but extremely demanding. When they asked him what and how to write, he later recalled, his reply invariably was: "If you can live without music for two or three days, then don't write – it might be better to spend the time with a girl or with a beer."
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
Nayiry

wow....2 years ago i searched online for gothic classical music..and i came with a list of around 100 musicians..but since my internet connection sucks i couldnt get them...and soon afterwards i lost that list >_<
i got some names from here as well thanks!

and btw...i like mozart's requiems as well...althought that i dont like the rest of mozart's works that much...cause i find them full with his arrogant and prideful soul, but in those requiems i found his soul broken..doomed...hopeless...i can describe it as: the requiem of his soul...

u can also try Aram khachadourian's le masquerade...search for it in youtube u may like this piece...
Nayiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Beowulf

I would defiantly recommend `Witches Sabbat` by Hector Berlioz and Mussorgsky`s `Pictures At An Exhibition` (The best recorded performances of these pieces can be found on the Duetsche Grammophon label on CD or even better on vinyl).
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
CallMeDeth

Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, and Beethoven (surprised nobody got him yet!)

Each have what I would call a 'Gothic' aesthetic in their own varied ways. If by 'Gothic' you mean romantic, then that's a whole era. Certainly early romantic writers were later labeled 'Gothic', so the connection isn't unheard of, to be sure.
CallMeDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Seahoarse

I don't think there's such a thing as "gothic classical" like Raskogr said, but there are a ton of composers that made some pretty spooky music. BARTOK, definitely Bartok, as well as Liszt's Mephisto Waltzes, Prokofiev's Scythian Suite ect. As well as Mozart and Beethoven and the like :3 Hope this helps
Seahoarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
Jonathan

Elfman might fit the bill, hell of a composer with an astounding range.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
TheDarkCryLove

I find one of vivaldi's 4 seasons is always to a friends taste. i also listen to Bach, Chopin, Debussy and other classical music
i can confidently say that my Favourite peace of classical music is Clair De lune
but another piece of music i find spine tingling is Un phare dans le brouillard (a lighthouse in the fog) which if played right is delightful music.

i hope this was of some help
TheDarkCryLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Mush

There is no real gothic classical. Cause the classical era was too late. For real gothic you have Hildegard, Thomas Morley, Byrd and Dowland. And maybe late goth could include Franz Tunder, Vincent Lubeck, Deiteric Buxtehude and Henrich Schutz. Then there is the retro stuff, which even that has different periods. Turn of the 19th century you had stuff like Peter Warlock with his Capriol Suite, a little later stuff like Resphigis Ancient Airs and Dances, Boelmanns Suite Gothic, and Mulets Byzantine Sketches. Arvo Part is a retro goth composer, along with Gorecki and Anne Dudley.
Mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
Sinjob

Everything is so deep and goth
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush View Post
There is no real gothic classical. Cause the classical era was too late.
That sentence went exactly the opposite direction it should have gone.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #22
The Divine Ms. M

Just found this awesome set. While it says it's available on the 25th of this month, I just got it on itunes for $5.99! Great way to spend my last bit of money on there lol

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #23
Death101

Camille Saint-Saens whose Danse Macabre should in no doubt suit your requirements
Death101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #24
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantigoth17 View Post
I'm thinking of listening to more gothic classical music. If you could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.
Not sure what you're after... Traditional Classic or just that sort of romantic mood? I'll try to make some suggestions, but for variety it won't all be strictly traditional classical music.

An actual nocturne

Melancholy piano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYfS...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3EcAHdHlE

Perhaps some Gregorian chants (or songs inspired by)

Requiem Aeternam

Sadeness - Enigma

Also check out Hildegard Von Bingen.

There's always this classical music, the animation of which Bela Lugosi pantomimed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemical_Moxie View Post
Not sure if this is what the OP was asking for, but if anyone could point out some more "dark" or "creepy" or "atmospheric" sounding classical music, I'd really appreciate it. Particularly if it involves violins - they're great because to me they're both inherently beautiful and inherently creepy.

But anyway. I have a playlist on the ol' ipod with a lot of creepy horror movie music but would love to find something similar, but less... well, "scene specific", I guess.

Dark ambient - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8cNHnLXeA

And have you tried the Silent Hill soundtrack?
This one is more beautiful and melancholy, but there's some creepy demonic sounding tracks on there. Have a click through the sidebar of suggestions.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #25
Aphra

Great post. I will look these up. I love Nox Arcana!
Aphra is offline   Reply With Quote