Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Entropic

A Government's Priorities

Let's assume that a generic liberal democracy is necessary for society to function. Let's also assume this generic liberal democracy has the same things as most western democracies: a police force, a military, a nationalized education system, a few other nationalized systems (roads, energy, healthcare), and a private sector. Let's also assume this is not going to change. In other words, a nationalization of everything, or a privatization of everything, or a direct democracy, or a monarchy, is simply not going to happen.

What should the government focus on? Should it focus on national defense over healthcare? Should it focus on domestic policing over education? Should it focus on social justice over economic success? What should a government's priorities be?
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Despanan

I think it should focus on whichever issue is most pressing at that particular time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Alan

Agreed. I mean basically we're granting that there won't be any structural changes, so the only thing left is to improvise on the little details.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Entropic

I wondered if that question would be too limiting.

What I'm trying to get at is this: What practical things should countries like the United States, Canada, Britain, Germany, France, etc, focus on? Most solutions I've seen say that we should either nationalize or privatize most or all of what the government does, and I don't see that being possible in the near future. While discussion of them is interesting, I can't see them taking place without massive paradigm changes. So I'm wondering what directions you would like to see your/those/a respective country to take that doesn't involve a drastic overhaul of the system.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Ben Lahnger

I think the team should draft the best player available.

To address this seriously, I think what you really want to do is have separate departments that address each of the needs so one doesn't get focused on to the detriment or exclusion of another. You could a department of education, a department of energy, a department of health and human services ... you get the idea.

You may want to re-frame the question, or indicate what you think is lacking in the current system. Because I recognize there are needs that are not being addressed, but I don't think your question gets at the problem.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Entropic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
You may want to re-frame the question, or indicate what you think is lacking in the current system. Because I recognize there are needs that are not being addressed, but I don't think your question gets at the problem.
I'm attempting to avoid indicating what I think is lacking, because that somewhat begs the question. If I say "I think the education system in America is broken, how should we fix it?", then I'm already supposing that something is wrong with the system, which biases the results.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Hmmm ... okay, I don't think there's anything wrong with the current system.

I think the problem lies with an apathetic populace who should be more politically active.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote