Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #51
CrimsonPythonidae

"Science is organized common sense where many a beautiful theory was killed by an ugly fact". - Thomas Huxley
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #52
Silver_Countess

I'm really happy someone already mentioned Oscar Wilde. A lot of people I know don't even know who he is.

- Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.

- Death solves all problems: no man, no problem.
Silver_Countess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #53
Stabby

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit" -Edgar Allan Poe

"Beware the fury of a patient man" - John Dryden

"Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom anyone really has" -Starship Troopers

"Love is a trick played on us by the forces of evolution. Pleasure is the bait laid down by the same. There is only power. Power is of the individual mind, but the mind's power is not enough. Power of the body decides everything in the end, and only Might is right" - KING OF THE MOAT MR. P

"Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace--but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

"WAR IS PEACE; FREEDOM IS SLAVERY; IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH" - George Orwell
Stabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #54
Stabby

I forgot one:

"Don't ever be afraid to take the hard road: Your wins are all the more glorious for it and your defeats all the more honorable." - My Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel View Post
"When life throws you a lemon, make lemonade." - Calvin and Hobbes
>.<
The Calvin and Hobbes quote is: "When life gives you lemons, Chuck em back at life and add a few of your own."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokioHotelrox View Post
"In view a humble vortivilian Veteran."
vaudevillian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
I'm a total Lord of the Rings dork, and since I was a kid, I've always loved Theoden's speech at the battle of the Pelennor Fields:

Arise, arise Riders of Théoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now, ride now! Ride for ruin… and the world’s ending! Death! Death! Forth Eorlingas!
I love LOTR
Stabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #55
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters

"Friendship is when people know all about you but like you anyway" - from some magnet i bought at a book store

"Oh the saddest of all sights in a world of sin, is the little lost pup with its his tail tucked in." -Arthur Guiterman

"They (meaning dogs) are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell." - Emily Dickinson

"The wing trails like a banner in defeat, no more to use the sky for ever but live with famine and pain a few days. He is strong and pain is worse to the strong incapacity is worse. No one but death the redeemer will humble that head, the intrepid readiness, the terrible eyes." - from "Hurt Hawks" by Robinson Jeffers

"They go by turns each one unto the judgment; They speak, and hear and then are downward hurled." Canto V lines 14-15 form "The Inferno" by Donte Alighieri
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #56
Beneath the Shadows

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

-- Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander, "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #57
Tim Danzig

Wow can't believe this thread is still going.

ummm... hmm.... anyone mind if i rip one twilight, the book/movie that killed vampires?

"Aren't you hungry?" he asked, distracted.
"No." I didn't feel like mentioning that my stomach was already full - full of butterflies.
What great writing a true example to the rest of the world.(fuck you Meyers)

also a good quote "Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies."
Tim Danzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #58
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Danzig View Post
"Aren't you hungry?" he asked, distracted.
"No." I didn't feel like mentioning that my stomach was already full - full of butterflies. "

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #59
Graveyard.Crow

Live long and prosper

Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #60
Sinjob

Sacred Cows make the tastiest burgers
-Abbie Hoffman

An intellectual is one whose discovered something more interesting than sex.
-Aldous Huxley

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything
-Tyler Durden.

EDIT: *notices Crow's signature* DAMN! Weird coincidence, eh? Great minds think alike!
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #61
Graveyard.Crow

Teehee, indeed
and I like your second one
it is very true, very very true, I concur 1000 %
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #62
Animula

A topical one:
"The fundamental defect with fathers is that they want their children to be a credit to them." - Bertrand Russell
Animula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #63
HavelockV

"Being an absolute ruler today was not as easy as people thought. At least, it was not simple if your ambitions included being an absolute ruler tomorrow. There were subtleties. Oh, you could order men to smash down doors and drag people off to dungeons without trial, but too much of that thing was bad for business, habit-forming, style-lacking, and very, very dangerous for your health. A thinking tyrant, it seemed to Vetinari, had a much harder job than a ruler raised to power by some idiot vote-yourself-rich system like democracy. At least he could tell the people he was their fault."

An exerpt from Going Postal by the inimitable Terry Pratchett, whose works I could quote from endlessly.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #64
The Count

"Knowledge is power. Power is strong. Garlic is strong. Therefore, knowledge must be garlic!" - Mr. Whiskers - Brandy And Mr. Whiskers

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

"...And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth." - Eric Idl

"A new scientific 'truth' does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up to be familiar with it." - Max Planck

"How to sell anything: Give it f**kin' BOOBZ." - Jolly Jack

"The only difference between tragedy and comedy is whether it happened to you or someone else." - Mitzi May - Lackadaisy cats

"He who made kittens, put the snakes in the grass." - Bungle in the jungle - Jethro Tull
The Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #65
Lord Whiskerton

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Man - a figment of God's imagination. - Mark Twain

Last week I stated that this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister and now wish to withdraw that statement.
- Mark Twain

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
- Winston Churchill
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #66
Lord Whiskerton

Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill

Quotes about cats

Cats were put into the world to disprove the dogma that all things were created to serve man. - Paul Gray

I have noticed that what cats most appreciate in a human being is not the ability to produce food, which they take for granted - but his or her entertainment value - Geoffrey Household

A cat will be your friend, but never your slave. - Theophile Gautier

When I play with my cat, who knows whether she is not amusing herself with me more than I with her. - Michel de Montaigne

Cats always know whether people like or dislike them. They do not always care enough to do anything about it. - Winifred Carriere

The problem with cats is that they get the same exact look whether they see a moth or an ax-murderer - Paula Poundstone
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #67
khajiitchick

Everything you do for this band puts a little money in the hchc band bank... Yes, its an imaginary bank.

Steven page

I am Sparticus

the 2008 phantom regimine

So they wont fix the air conditioning leak? The show must go on, hand me that bucket and some duct tape. Where is the 12 foot ladder?

Mike Haile, my personal hero
khajiitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #68
Valeria

"God kills indiscriminately, and so shall we..." Lestat de Lincourt Interview with a Vampire
Valeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #69
the-nihilist

"The key to happiness is self delusion. Don't think of yourself as an organic pain collector racing towards oblivion." Scott Adams (Dogbert)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #70
NapalmCow

In the future everyone will have their fifteen minutes of fame-Andy Warhol
NapalmCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #71
Alan

Which just shows how ignorant Warhol was.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #72
Grausamkeit

Biography lends to death a new terror. ~ Wilde

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #73
Dolly Glass

We die of what we eat and drink but more we die of what we think. ~Edwin Arlington Robinson. (My favorite poet and this was my senior quote.)

All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~Edgar Allen Poe

If only I had an enemy greater than my apathy, I could have won.~Mumford and Sons.

Kill the spiders to save the butterflies. It's rational until you realize that by striving for it, you become a spider yourself. ~This is my absolute favorite quote but I havent a source for it.
Dolly Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #74
NKR

A man can’t ride your back unless it’s bent.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.
Maya Angelou

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
Shakespeare,Julius Caesar

I always looked upon the acts of racist exclusion, or insult, as pitiable, from the other person. I never absorbed that. I always thought that there was something deficient about such people.
Toni Morrison

No matter how much you love and pet it,a snake will eventually bite your ass.

My grandmother

It's called SELF-esteem,bitch.
Katt Williams

Don't throw the stone and then hide your hand.
My grandmother
NKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #75
FistsofFury

"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it."
-Francois de La Rochefoucauld

"I have seldom known a person, who deserted the truth in trifles and then could be trusted in matters of importance."
-Babe Paley

"Commend a fool for his wit, or a rogue for his honesty and he will receive you into his favor."
-Henry Fielding

(on breaking up)
“The message to get across is, ‘You’re not what I’m looking for,’” adds Florida State University psychologist Roy Baumeister. “That doesn’t imply that there’s something wrong or deficient about your partner.” It’s simply straightforward."
-E. Svoboda

"Men are not against you; they are merely for themselves."
-Gene Fowler

"Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble."
-Samuel Johnson

"When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'"
-Sidney J. Harris
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote