Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Rae Ven Rae

This ever happen to you?

So yesterday,. I am sitting in the living with my little girl talking to friend on the phone when KAPOW-- there is an explosion loud enough to wake the dead and a white reddish looking fireball which fills my windows...

My house has windows every where so it is well lit. It was day, as well, and there had been a few thunder claps.

I am freaked out thinking someone had just detonate d a bomb or some crap...

But nah -- lightening had struck a tree a few feet away from the house - -blasted the poor thing to oblivion and sacred me near white...rofl...

Nature is awesome but at times, it can literally make the hairs on your neck raise...
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Crying_Crimson_Tears

We've been getting thunderstorms a lot up here but I have never seen anything get struck by lightening.

*Knocks on wood*

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Rae Ven Rae

I was freaked out -- I told my husband I needed a whole bottle of wine, odd for me since I don't drink -- lol
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Linen

I love storms. Yesterday at work we heard a loud CRASH of lightning, and we all thought it sounded like a garbage dumpster being dropped (u know when the garbage truck drops it back down).
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I know someone who got struck by lightening and survived.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Rae Ven Rae

I usually like storms too -- especially when they are a pretty gray and the earth smells wet and fragrant -- but that thing came out of nowhere-- there wasn't even any rain --creepy.

How did someone survive be struck by lightening...must...hear...story!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I've never seen anything struck by lightning up close. My favorite is the kind that streaks horizontally from cloud to cloud. I don't know if it's an illusion, or if the lightning actually moves sideways, but it looks incredible.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Seraphynth

I also know someone who survived being struck by lightening.
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Clockwork

Haven't had lightening here in years =/ I've driven through the desert at night during a lightning storm, though. It always seemed like the lightning struck so close to the car, and it was a little alarming.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
shadow__

Once a lightning fell in a pole that was just a few feet away from me. It was weird. Also, yesterday, it started snowing here, which is REALLY odd considering our latitud and distance to the sea ( i live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, which is right in the south atlantic coast, making it very humid and practically impossible to snow)
shadow__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
Circle V

I've had lightning strike the ground within a few hundred meters of me three times-- it hit the street outside of my house, near a playground where I was at a party, and destroyed a transformer on an electrical pole as I drove by.

My family and some other people went on a fishing trip into the Beni region of Bolivia a few years ago. We took a smallish plane to a little town, and the next day an even smaller plane made a few trips to take some of us (including myself) to a tiny drug-runners' airstrip to fish. We fished all day, and I was barely able to make it back to the first town because of a storm (the pilot was afraid that he wouldn't be able to land on a mud airstrip).

Anyway, while we were gone the storm had passed over the little cabin complex where my brothers and mother had stayed. Everyone there took shelter in a semi-enclosed thatched roof structure. Lightning hit it directly several times, causing the doorknobs and light sockets to spark, and the fence outside was also hit numerous times to similar effect. My mom was worried about my father and I-- had the storm been as powerful where we were, we would have been caught in the river or in an unenclosed structure. My brothers were terrified of lightning for years after that.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Rae Ven Rae

I'd bet - -just being somewhat up close and personal nearly gave me a heart attack, so I can imagine how traumatic having it right on top of you was-- sheesh!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Beneath the Shadows

I've seen a fairly large oak tree get cut in half by a car door during a hurricane before. And I've seen two feet of rain accumulate in a period of 15 minutes. That's about it.
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote