Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Opteron_Man

What would you buy with a million bucks?

Well what you do? If you had a million dollars with you? What would you buy? Would you donate some of it to charity and spend the rest? Or donate all of it?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Duane

Damn... I'd put it into a my savings account Well, maybe have take maybe 10,000 dollars out, buy me some kick ass stuff, tape recorders, microphones, stuff like that.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

A million-dollar whore!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
A million-dollar whore!
Damn, that'd be some whore.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

The type of whore that knows all techniques but is still a virgin.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Hmm... That would be a difficult courtesan to find. You should probably join Duane and put it in a high-interest savings account until you find him/her :P.

I'd probably either buy a Pre-Raphaelite painting or save the money, quit my day-job and use the million as slowly as possible and just do art until I ran out.

Edit: I'd probably buy myself a good tablet PC.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
emeraldlonewoulf

Sounds like Jillian wants an old-style geisha.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Johnny Gnar Gnar

*Gets on high horse, and begins rant, you may quit reading now, if you choose* I don't think I would really have use for a million bucks. Ok, I'll be a hypocrite, I would like enough to pay off my car, but this is the problem with a capitalist society. A million bucks always seems like it is used to portray the end result, the ultimate happiness. But what could you really do with a million bucks that you couldn't do with ten bucks? Or eighty? Or no money to your name, save the one penny in your pocket? Money doesn't create happiness, unless you buy into that particular economic philosophy. [/end of I-just-got0home-from-the-bar rant]
Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #9
Beneath the Shadows

I'd buy a house and a car. And a ton of Swedish Fish.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #10
$haDe

I'll have surgery..!!!

Putting the REAL cat ears on my head..!!!

Yay..!!!

seriously...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #11
hell4life

a house first with pool and a big garden.the rest of the money ..propable i will buy computers
hell4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
Bete Noire

Although they say you can't buy happiness I'd give it one hell of a try.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
Cicero

A million dollars isn't really that much nowadays. It couldn't even buy you a house in a lot of places.

I'd just blow it all on a trip around the world.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
Corpsey

Pay off everybody I really know well' student debts & my other people's financial disagreements to some extent and then visit Asia, Germany, France, Spain(visit my aunt), England(visit my grandparents and drink 80% homebrew whiskey), Canada (winter time and go skiing for months), The States, Mexico (visit my aunt) then come home in time to start the next year well off, but leave enough cash for at least 3 more trips in my life-time. I wouldn't give it to charity, but donate it through my own means to make sure I know where the hell it goes.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #15
MollyMac

I wouldn't spend it. I'd trade the note in for gold bouillon and hide it in my basement and wait for the economy to fall. Then again, what use is gold when no one has any money?

I'd buy a million bucks worth of supplies, a gun, and a small compound in upstate Montana
Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #16
Darcnyss

I'd spend most of it on sound equipment, then start my own recording studio and sign up some of the new talent in South Africa.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #17
Solumina

I'd buy a nice three bedroom home (I don't plan to have kids anytime soon so it isn't like I need anything bigger) with at least half an acre of land and around hear that would be about $400,000 lets say another $50,000 on furniture/decorating/landscaping/installing solar panels, I would buy a new car and pay off Jakes (about $37000), $100,000 would go to the trust established in honor of my father (the money benefits the Waterford Foundation), $50,000 would go to my mother for work around her house (I'm not quite sure what actually needs to get done but that should cover it), $100,000 to travel around the world with Jake, $25,000 would be random fun money (clothes, books, expensive food and drinks, etc.) and the remaining $238,000 would be invested with the help of my mother's financial adviser in a way that would allow me to use the interest to supplement my income so that Jake and I would be able to select jobs that are emotionally rewarding instead of fiscally rewarding.

*edit* oh and I would get Jake and my mother both doggies from shelters and pay for any initial medical expenses that they may have
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #18
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
A million dollars isn't really that much nowadays. It couldn't even buy you a house in a lot of places.

I'd just blow it all on a trip around the world.
I already knew that a million isn't a fortune like it was 30 years ago. But then again, it's not chump change either. I picked a million dollars because a billion would be unrealistic. I don't think you can win a billion dollars.

BTW, I like the idea about the trip around the world.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

I'd spend it on college.
Maybe a little house somewhere.
Tattoos.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 AM   #20
ThreeEyesOni

About 1000 acres, a few large greenhouses and a nice house, all not only off the grid but plesantly far from any other living soul.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 AM   #21
chelseagirl

I would donate some of it, pay off my car, pay off my mom's house, install new carpet in my house, buy a new television, put some in my 401K, and put the rest in a high yield savings account.

My husband would probably require me to get breast implants though, if we had that money, lol!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #22
Magila

I'd go to the hospital and do a full check of the random pains i am having in my left rib cage since 3 years.

Than I'll donate what left from the money to the army.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #23
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
I wouldn't spend it. I'd trade the note in for gold bouillon and hide it in my basement and wait for the economy to fall. Then again, what use is gold when no one has any money?

I'd buy a million bucks worth of supplies, a gun, and a small compound in upstate Montana
With that gold you WILL be able to sell it. Jewllers need gold all the time. Jewelery makers also. Trust me you could make money from a lump of good quality gold. if its 18k gold you could sell it for more (sorry I work with jewellery and know a bit of random crap like that)
Gold will be worth more then diamonds.

Anyways back on topic. What I would do if I won a million? I have always said that I would pay off ALL bills first. Clear every debt my mum dad or bro has. I would Put probably 3 quarters of the money left in a savings account for my future plans and my childrens savings for things like collage funds etc.
I would spend about 2000 on shopping, just treating myself to things (I'm bad when I have alot money though, my first pay check I spent about £50 on shoes I've never warn).
Buy a decent house for me, one for my mum and dad and probably my brother.
I would buy my cat the best food and treatments she could ever have to make her live longer and stay as healthy as she can be.
I would invest in somthing.
Buy a mini cooper.

Have I run out of money yet?

Oh I guess I would pay for my aunty to have her eye surjury and a kidney transplant for her and my uncle.
Infact I think I might do one good deed for each one of my close family members and hopfully still have some cash to spare.
But then again I'm a bit knocked back the last time I gave money for a good cause and got fired 3 days later.
Damn it!
Well what ever happends I've always said I would pay of all my bills first.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #24
Noumi

I would probably buy some good Jules Verne books, an authentic medieval sword, an armor, a new house in the forest and tons of animal costumes. Yeah I'm a freaking fan .

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #25
gothicusmaximus

Make a movie.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote