Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Lurci

Cool I'm not gonna be a Marilyn Manson fan anymore

Now i know MM threads are probably a dead horse around here but it's true.
I''m leaving that stupid fandom for all time!
Lurci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

You are dumb.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Lurci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
You are dumb.
Care to explain how?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Lurci

I'm sorry for this stupid thread. i sometimes tend to post stupid things
without a single thought and then i kick/slap myself afterwords.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
maggot

You're dumb because both ways, you're just following the crowd. You started listening because you thought he was soooo gawffic, and you're stopping because we say only poseurs listen to MM. Just make up your mind; we won't kill you if he like him as well as real goth rock or something else "good."

Hell, I think MM has some great songs, not that I could name them. haha
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
SiouxsiePernova

Manzin always makes me laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_yCqxeeLuY
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Pineapple_Juice

I like his version of Personal Jesus a lot-but then again, I am in sexual love with DP so that's probably why.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Lurci

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
You're dumb because both ways, you're just following the crowd. You started listening because you thought he was soooo gawffic, and you're stopping because we say only poseurs listen to MM. Just make up your mind; we won't kill you if he like him as well as real goth rock or something else "good."

Hell, I think MM has some great songs, not that I could name them. haha

Well i listened to him back in '04 or '05 before i ever discovered this site(or any fan site of him for that matter).I'll admit that i sort of did act like a stupid 'poseur'. But i grew out of that overtime. Moreover, i'm beginning to dislike him cause he disappoints me now. sure i could listen to his old stuff but still.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

A friend of mine is always trying to convince me to listen to his shitty music tastes. He was saying that I should listen to Manson's new album because it's totally political.
He's a friend, but I wanted to punch him in the face for saying that stupidity.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
Fester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
Manzin always makes me laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_yCqxeeLuY
It's a hardcore, industrial,post-modern, goth rock opera for kids... & Beautiful Pigeons ... Awesome lol.
Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
staglieno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurci View Post
Moreover, i'm beginning to dislike him cause he disappoints me now. sure i could listen to his old stuff but still.
I can say that what I've heard of The High End of Low is way better than Eat Me Drink Me.
staglieno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
Beneath the Shadows

I admit, I started listening to Manson because I thought he was "so gawffic." I stopped listening to Manson because I grew out of his music. I began learning about actual goth music, and when I saw the obvious difference, I decided that I like goth music better. Of course, I had been listening to Manson for quite a while, so I continued doing so, because I actually did like the music. But as time went by, I began listening to him less and less. No, he's been relegated to the nostalgia section of my music collection... the music I'll dust off and listen to again only once in a great while.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Felreaper

I can honestly say that the worst band I've ever listened to because I thought they were gawf was Slipknot, I still listen to them (mostly off of their unreleased Crowz album with Anders on vocals, he could growl,) but I've moved on to true music, heh.
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
JCC

"True" music? As opposed to pretend music?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
maggot

As opposed to "I'm completely full of myself" music. : D
Old 05-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
As opposed to "I'm completely full of myself" music. : D
I used to like opera for that reason.
Vesti La Giubba still makes me cry, and I like La Boheme. But in my opinion most people that say they enjoy opera (or god forbid "classical music") are just full of it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
ArchLich

Manson is a geek who got drunk in a bar one night and out of nowhere decided he wanted to be a rock star, so on the same night, within the same bar, he picked up other drunken idiots and went on to learn music. Surprizingly, considering the origin of this aspiration, he didnt turn out half as bad as I would have expected, but MM has never, in my opinion, been "goth". Most of his music is a mockery of the hypocracy 90% of the world has made out of their base moral values(a concept which I have always liked), and thats the main reason I like his music. Although there are MUCH more talented artists out there musically.
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Duane

Brilliant at selling that image... he's like a "Goffik" Malcolm Mclaren.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
Felreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
"True" music? As opposed to pretend music?
Ah, I didn't see this at first. When I say true music, it means music made by those who know what they're talking about (as opposed to fake depression, and stupid/impossible political ideas) and who can play their instruments in a way that would sound good without heavy electronic noise and distortion. Well... in the case of music with the guitars, the electronic noise is fine for industrial bands...
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #20
PortraitOfSanity

Planning on seeing Manson at Mayhem fest in July. There's a few shitty bands playing, but there's enough decent bands (including Manson) to justify the $50 price tag. Not a huge Manson fan though.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
Sinjob

Same here on Mayhem fest, mainly because it's pretty close to where I live and overall seems like a good opprotunity.

Personally not to big on Manson, and I second the "being full of myself" comment, it's gets really old REALLY fucking fast.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #22
Kij.

Hmm, never was a fan.
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #23
Kij.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Planning on seeing Manson at Mayhem fest in July. There's a few shitty bands playing, but there's enough decent bands (including Manson) to justify the $50 price tag. Not a huge Manson fan though.
Yeah, like Slayer. Total disappointment. Besides them and a few others, can't wait for the show!
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
CountVonCount

Marilyn Manson is goth. His music isn't goth, and he may not preach goth but he's goth. I couldn't tell if by 'marilyn manson isn't goth' people where talking about just his music or him as a person.
He's done a lot of cool shit but his albums are getting worse. The High End Of Low is a disaster, he's already said what he's needed to say and at the time it needed to be said. Now he's just talking to talk, as everyone seems to be, and isn't saying much that's interesting. The look is fun tho. Devour is a good song to look into, as is Wight Spider and Into The Fire. Eat Me Drink Me was him proving he could play the part that people thought he was already playing. It came out well for what it is; it shouldn't be seen as a step forward but a pause and a necessary one in consideration of MM's celebrity. The High End Of Low tho is totally unnecessary, the title alone says what we've all known for awhile now. He should have stuck to his 90s shtick and done a satirical mock of how every artist now of days is speaking only of indulgence and petty chit chat circumstances usually involving a girl who was fucked just to be fucked and then left whatever artist who made the song and woe to them for being without a fuck. Oh wait...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1GsKQDF1Zw and still fail.

I think he should do what it seems he's been meaning to do for a long time now and take a break on albums and get his biographical Lewis Carol movie out, do some more paintings, branch out into other ways of expression.
He's played the part of the bastard child and he always will be in one way or another. Honestly tho, while he may not have been part of the goth scene and beside the fact that it would have gone on just as it did before him with out him, he made necessary waves that helped give goth some space, some air to breath in the everyday world. Albeit that gave way for true demons to crawl from hell and cause a great backlash from society: Emo and Scene.
Ordinary kids who think they're 13yr old hormones are more than just a natural happening but a deep seeded cry that they know more about life, and rich kids who love attention. Those too mood swings have caused goth a real loss in points from everyone, but it's not like goths ever gave a shit about points in the first place.

That wasn't an attempt to clear his name, just my two cents.
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #25
Saya

Marilyn Manson is a goth as a person? He likes Kiss and Alice Cooper, rarely have I heard him mention listening to goth music.

Anyway, I liked his older stuff, hated Eat Me, Drink Me, might check out High End Of Low (I love not having tv or radio, I only learned by this thread he has a new album), would definitely check him out in concert but for the most part I've grown out of it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote