Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:41 AM   #1
THEUNQUIETGRAVE

My UTTER Disdain For Distressed Clothing / Distressed Clothing Is A Scam

I wonder how many others of you feel about this, but distressed clothing especially in Gothic clothing is a major pet peeve of mine especially more so for us guys.

I feel that it is really overrated for so many reasons, for one, it is more for juveniles and it makes it difficult to wear or be appropriate for a work environment.

But in addition to that, it is really a bad deal. I don't really like the aesthetic for me and it would be one thing if it's for Halloween or Cosplay, but for Adults it can rarely be seen as something to wear that others will take you seriously.

In addition, you are paying for "ripped" or otherwise "worn" looking clothing.

Goth is more about "DIY" and so you are paying for clothing with is frayed or worn which will rip or get destroyed faster, sooner, especially when doing laundry, and if anything you'd just be better buying intact clothing and creating your own "DIY" rips and what not, it just makes it much more real and unique.

There is SO MUCH of Goth clothing out there too that is already with a "washed out" look, which is ridiculous too, because the clothing looks like it's already old and been through too many washes. One could buy these shirts or jeans and after they go through a few natural washes, they would have that same look anyways, so why bother buying them with a faded look? It just makes no sense to me and I wish the Fashion companies would really not try to make and push so many of those styles.

Even for all types of people who buy any clothing with rips, like ripped jeans, it puzzles me why they wouldn't just either create their own rips to their liking or allow them to naturally get "worn down" from buying a cheap pair that is known for it.

Paying a high price for already ripped clothing is a pretty bad deal, when you can do it yourself if that is the intention.

Curious what else anyone thinks about this.
THEUNQUIETGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote