Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Pineapple_Juice

18994 Booklet For Young Brides

Just got my book for my Sexuality class and this was in it. I think I'm putting it in the right section.

To the sensitive young woman who has had the benefits of proper upbringing, the wedding day is, ironically, both the happiest and most terrifying day of her life. On the positive side, there is the wedding itself, in which the bride is a central attraction in a beautiful and inspiring ceremony, symbolizing her triumph in securing a male to provide for all her needs for the rest of her life. On the negative side, there is the wedding night, during which the bride must pay the piper, so to speak, by facing for the first time the terrible experience of sex.

At this point, dear reader, let me concede one shocking truth. Some young women actually anticipate the wedding night ordeal with curiosity and pleasure! Beware such an attitude! A selfish and sensual husband can easily take advantage of such a bride. One cardinal rule of marriage should never be forgotten: GIVE LITTLE, GIVE SELDOM, AND ABOVE ALL, GIVE GRUDGINGLY. Otherwise what could have been a proper marriage could become an orgy of sexual lust.

Most men, if not denied, would demand sex almost every day. The wise bride will permit a maximum of two brief sexual experiences weekly during the first months of marriage. As time goes by she should make every effort to reduce this frequency. Feigned illness, sleepiness, and headaches are among the wife's best friends in this matter. Arguments, nagging, scolding, and bickering also prove very effective if used in the late evening about an hour before the husband would normally commence his seduction. A good wife should expect to have reduced sexual contacts to once a week by the end of the first year of marriage and to once a month by the end of the fifth year of marriage.

Wow.

PS-I meant 1894. Goddamnit.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
MissCheyenne

I've read that somewhere before, though I can't for the life of me remember where. It's interesting to see how much attitudes towards sex have changed since that was written though. I can't imagine anyone now being advised to limit their sexual contact during marriage, quite the opposite in fact.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Pineapple_Juice

Yep. I read this to my BF and told him he should be really glad he wasn't born then.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Just got my book for my Sexuality class and this was in it. I think I'm putting it in the right section.

To the sensitive young woman who has had the benefits of proper upbringing, the wedding day is, ironically, both the happiest and most terrifying day of her life. On the positive side, there is the wedding itself, in which the bride is a central attraction in a beautiful and inspiring ceremony, symbolizing her triumph in securing a male to provide for all her needs for the rest of her life. On the negative side, there is the wedding night, during which the bride must pay the piper, so to speak, by facing for the first time the terrible experience of sex.

At this point, dear reader, let me concede one shocking truth. Some young women actually anticipate the wedding night ordeal with curiosity and pleasure! Beware such an attitude! A selfish and sensual husband can easily take advantage of such a bride. One cardinal rule of marriage should never be forgotten: GIVE LITTLE, GIVE SELDOM, AND ABOVE ALL, GIVE GRUDGINGLY. Otherwise what could have been a proper marriage could become an orgy of sexual lust.

Most men, if not denied, would demand sex almost every day. The wise bride will permit a maximum of two brief sexual experiences weekly during the first months of marriage. As time goes by she should make every effort to reduce this frequency. Feigned illness, sleepiness, and headaches are among the wife's best friends in this matter. Arguments, nagging, scolding, and bickering also prove very effective if used in the late evening about an hour before the husband would normally commence his seduction. A good wife should expect to have reduced sexual contacts to once a week by the end of the first year of marriage and to once a month by the end of the fifth year of marriage.

Wow.

PS-I meant 1894. Goddamnit.
The writer of that should be brutally sodomized with a thorn covered branch every day for being such a fuckwit.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Saya

If I was born back then I'd never get married anyway. No birth control? Husband has complete control over me? Yikes.

Funny though, not so much here but there is still a stigma over female sexual pleasure even to this day, its odd reading old stuff like this and you can think of examples where it still affects us, even though to a lesser degree.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Red Menace

This old chestnut has a page on snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/weddings/newlywed/advice.asp
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Lethe

I'm extremely glad that I wasn't born into this type of society. I'm not sure what I would have done, except perhaps refuse to get married by joining a convent, eloping, or something along those lines.
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Cicero

As the Snopes article said, the language gives away its lack of authenticity. Still a good laugh though, real or not.

But yeah, I often wonder what it would have been like being born back then. I'd like to think that I'd be able to resist social pressures for marriage and childbearing and somehow end up accomplishing something with my pitiful female life. A few of my female ancestors did to a certain extent, but were always pulled back by their male counterparts until the mid 20th century.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

Wow, and this was in as hard fact from my newly updated book. Cripes.
Anyway when it's read with all that extra stuff on Snopes then it sounds unlikely but in the paragraph from the book it sounds alright. Is there a possibility that part of it fabricated and part of it is true?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
Cicero

If it's real the wording might have been updated for a 21st century audience, or perhaps it's a parody of a real article. It certainly wouldn't have existed in that exact form in 1894.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Saya

Yeah I thought it sounded funny, would they have straight up called it sex back then? Literature back then tended to be vague about it.

Anyway, found this gem on Feministing, it's from 1943, how to hire women: http://7.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqa...mdvno1_500.jpg

Quote:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.

2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It's always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.

3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.

4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.

5. Stress at the outset the importance of time the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.

6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.

7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.

8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.

9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.

10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously, she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.

11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy."
I also love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqtT...eature=related
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Mir

The majority of women I have met have bad manners,bad attitude, don’t know how to speak right, don’t want to hear the truth, they spend too much time chasing rich men for sex and getting pregnant,having a butt load of children and they end up on welfare.

so fuck women

p.s. i'm not sexist
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir View Post

so fuck women
Many people do.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Mir

in the ass!?!!?!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
The majority of women I have met have bad manners,bad attitude, don’t know how to speak right, don’t want to hear the truth, they spend too much time chasing rich men for sex and getting pregnant,having a butt load of children and they end up on welfare.

so fuck women

p.s. i'm not sexist

You sir, are absolutely right.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
in the ass!?!!?!
Occasionally.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Occasionally.
that's hottt!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Pineapple_Juice

Yes, I suppose for those who have a fondness for anuses.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
skoteinh

Quote:
so fuck women

p.s. i'm not sexist
You cheeky thing, you!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #20
Apathy's_Child

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote