Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Sir Christopher Lee

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8096881.stm
Quote:
Actor Christopher Lee, best known for playing Count Dracula and starring in Lord Of The Rings, has been knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours list.

The 87-year-old was included on the list alongside former poet laureate Andrew Motion, who is also knighted.

Actors Jonathan Pryce and Lindsay Duncan become CBEs, along with fashion designer Jeff Banks and Delia Smith.

Royle Family actress Sue Johnston, actor Alan Cumming and Fat Friends writer Kay Mellor become OBEs.

London-born Lee, who made his name in the Hammer Horror movies in the 1950s, is one of the most prolific actors of all time, appearing in more than 250 film and TV productions.

Other notable roles include as Lord Summerisle in 1973's The Wicker Man and as Francisco Scaramanga in 1974 Bond movie The Man With The Golden Gun.

A representative for Lee - who was previously appointed CBE - said he was unavailable for comment because he was filming in New Mexico.
Congratulations Christopher Lee, its a well overdue honor.

But on that note, why the heck did they make him wait soo long? He's performed in over 220 films(with 5 comming out this year alone), and even served in the RAF in WW2 in a variety of roles including some classified. Yet plenty of people, many less deserving(though still deserving) and far younger have been knighted before him. Did they want to wait untill he was dead?
It's almost as rediculous as how difficult the Medal of Honor is to get now(these days you have to die to get it).

Also do you think Christopher Lee will ever stop making films? At the rate he's going now I doubt even death can stop him.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
zerademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
rediculous
ridiculous you mean?

And in the case of Christopher Lee (damm, didn't know that guy was still alive) I would agree. He deserves to be knighted for his efforts and so.
Quote:
It's almost as rediculous as how difficult the Medal of Honor is to get now(these days you have to die to get it).
Medal of Honour is something you recieve, not get. You risked your own life for a noble cause, or did something pretty astonishing. Obviously, you can't just simple "get" one.

-Zerachiel de Mark-
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Congratulations Christopher Lee, its a well overdue honor.

But on that note, why the heck did they make him wait soo long? He's performed in over 220 films(with 5 comming out this year alone),\
What relevance does his film history have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerademark View Post
(damm, didn't know that guy was still alive)
You didn't know that Count Dooku was alive?!

Quote:
Medal of Honour is something you recieve, not get.
Um... "get" and "receive" mean the same thing.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
zerademark

Quote:
You didn't know that Count Dooku was alive?!
Ooooh so thats the actor who played him.
Quote:
Um... "get" and "receive" mean the same thing.
Yes I know, but receive sounds fancier. "Get" sounds like, "getting a lollipop"
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Ooooh so thats the actor who played him.
Yep.

Quote:
Yes I know, but receive sounds fancier. "Get" sounds like, "getting a lollipop"
"Rendez-vous" is a fancier way of saying "meet," but they still mean the same.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:

Medal of Honour is something you recieve, not get. You risked your own life for a noble cause, or did something pretty astonishing. Obviously, you can't just simple "get" one.

-Zerachiel de Mark-
Yeah but since the Vietnam War 100% of the medal of honor recipients recieved the award posthumorously, before that it was actualy possible to not die and get the medal of honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
What relevance does his film history have?
How many films does a guy have to make before he finally gets knighted? There are plenty of people who have done less and gotten knighted.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote