Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #151
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Sharing information with others is complaining now, is it Joker?
No, but there was no reason for you to share your own story. You didn't need it to make your point.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #152
JCC

Okay, this is just criticising the guy for nothing. Obviously he had to, because his point was that he can identify with people who've been racially discriminated against without turning to white-hatred. Give him a break.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #153
Necrophagist

I see your point. I'll remember it next time.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #154
Necrophagist

Thank ye JCC!
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #155
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
It isn't easy to escape, but it's far from impossible. I used to live in the poorest part of Miami when I was nine years old, and every day I would walk the four miles to the better side of the city and check out a math and a grammer book from the public library. If an elementary schooler can do it by herself, almost anyone can, so don't give me any b.s. about not having enough opportunities. There's always something you can do.
No. Not almost anyone can. When you live in the ghetto, you're also automatically at an education disadvantage. Your parents usually don't put a focus on education. And so, usually you don't put as much as a focus on education. I'm in advanced classes. There's three black students in the whole system, me, my friend Jessica, and her friend Chris. However, I stop and look where we grew up. We're middle class and our parents put a focus on education. My mom made sure I could read at age to, and their attitude on school has affected my views on school as well. Now I'm not saying validating not working, but a lot of these kids can't realize education's value because of the lack of education on their parents part. Did you know 1 out of ever 100 blacks in the ghetto go to college? And many of our generation and of our parents are the first. My dad was the first in his family to go to college, and my friend Jess's father was as well. It took a lot of work. My dad was mowing lawns for money to get into a good college. Fortunately, a kind white man saw how hard he worked and just gave him half of the money. You can work hard, but it's a lot of work and most people don't make it. Not everyone can. But as Jillian and my father said, that's capitalism and it's even worse where you're at a social disadvantage.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #156
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
See, she's still in the ghetto.
No, I was crying and couldn't see through the tears. I just typed and pressed submit, so there was bound to be a few errors. I was thinking about my ex-boyfriend and stumbled across this topic.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #157
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem
No. Not almost anyone can. When you live in the ghetto, you're also automatically at an education disadvantage. Your parents usually don't put a focus on education. And so, usually you don't put as much as a focus on education. I'm in advanced classes. There's three black students in the whole system, me, my friend Jessica, and her friend Chris. However, I stop and look where we grew up. We're middle class and our parents put a focus on education. My mom made sure I could read at age to, and their attitude on school has affected my views on school as well. Now I'm not saying validating not working, but a lot of these kids can't realize education's value because of the lack of education on their parents part. Did you know 1 out of ever 100 blacks in the ghetto go to college? And many of our generation and of our parents are the first. My dad was the first in his family to go to college, and my friend Jess's father was as well. It took a lot of work. My dad was mowing lawns for money to get into a good college. Fortunately, a kind white man saw how hard he worked and just gave him half of the money. You can work hard, but it's a lot of work and most people don't make it. Not everyone can. But as Jillian and my father said, that's capitalism and it's even worse where you're at a social disadvantage.
I would have thought anyone could, since two of my friends and I were always ahead of the whole neighborhood in our FCAT scores. I've always made a four, whereas people I knew who didn't take the initiative to learn barely had anything above unscorable. I kept telling everyone that I just read and learned on my own and that they could also achieve if they really wanted to, but most were too stubborn to go into the "white" side of town. Also, I know how tight money can be, but they have scholorships specifically for blacks, if only they would apply and honestly try for once.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #158
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
Eminem's white... and the first guy to come up was Wesley Willis who isn't even Rap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Willis
Hm, I thought you would come up with more than that. Oh well. You should check out Dr. Dre's The Chronic, which hit number 3 on the billboard 200, is to this day revered as one of the best hip-hop albums of all time, and is full of antagonism toward white people. Also look into Ice Cube, another highly respected contributor to the genre of gangsta rap, who, in his wildly popular, award winning music, has attacked not only white people but also those of virtually every non-black race and even those among his people who he perceives as 'oreo cookies'.
Try making it into the top 40 with a song called "The day the white people took over," or one which contains lyrics that condemn your white friends for acting like black people.

This is all besides the point, thought. I largely agree with you: the system is not only imperfect, but virtually broken, and it's broken almost entirely because of the historical oppression of minorities by whites. However, the way to rectify this isn't through foisting culpability on the entirely innocent descendants of slaveowners and klansmen, for, as you must realize, that sort of puerile "blame game" only leads to more hate and factionalism. The best thing we can do is come together, motivated not by some chimerical 'debt' or obligation but by compassion and sensibility to justice, and work toward a future in which the trespasses of the past can manifest as nothing more than repugnant memories. While we have a long way to go, I personally think we're making strides, but perhaps that's just the optimist in me I've tried so doggedly to kill.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #159
JCC

MegearaErotica: answer my question. What have you achieved? Where has what you've achieved gotten you? Have you moved area because of your achievements, like we're discussing now?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #160
Joker_in_the_Pack

To be honest Necro, I just felt like busting yer balls a bit.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #161
JCC

My sister just said Thatcher was a good prime minister.

I know she talks through absolute ignorance but I want to stab her in the eyes all the same.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #162
MegearaErotica

Oh, sorry JCC, I didn't see your question. So far I've was the highest ranking student in my county for a year, won the President's Award For Educational Excellence, have won certificates from the FCAT (standardized test), was in the National Honor Society, and was offered the chance to tour Europe by the Congressional Student Leadership Conference, but I never got the chance because I would have had to pay half the cost of the trip and we didn't have the money for it. My parents realized about two years ago that Miami was no place to raise a child and we moved to a very small town that used to be a retirement community and I am now on the course to become an Advanced Placement/ International Baccalaureate student. I may not seem like I am good at anything, but I have a knack for science and math.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #163
Albert Mond

"I really don't know why we need a whole month dedicated to blacks. It's not like they're the only ones that suffered. I mean, what about us whites? We're the ones that have to deal with these monkeys everyday, but you don't see us demanding a whole month to ourselves." - Zach Braff on Black history month
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #164
MegearaErotica

A lot of white cultures have suffered.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #165
JCC

Quote:
Oh, sorry JCC, I didn't see your question. So far I've was the highest ranking student in my county for a year, won the President's Award For Educational Excellence, have won certificates from the FCAT (standardized test), was in the National Honor Society, and was offered the chance to tour Europe by the Congressional Student Leadership Conference, but I never got the chance because I would have had to pay half the cost of the trip and we didn't have the money for it. My parents realized about two years ago that Miami was no place to raise a child and we moved to a very small town that used to be a retirement community and I am now on the course to become an Advanced Placement/ International Baccalaureate student. I may not seem like I am good at anything, but I have a knack for science and math.
Right, but you haven't yourself moved anywhere. Your parents could afford to move for you, which is exactly what I envisioned in the first place: you're reasonably well-off and therefore your comparison to yourself doesn't stand up against ghettoes. I mean, damn, you have internet for a start, you've got a big head-start on more than a few Americans, probably a bigger one than I used to.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #166
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
"I really don't know why we need a whole month dedicated to blacks. It's not like they're the only ones that suffered. I mean, what about us whites? We're the ones that have to deal with these monkeys everyday, but you don't see us demanding a whole month to ourselves." - Zach Braff on Black history month
A piece of satire never actually uttered by Zach Braff.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #167
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Proof:

http://www.zachbraffquotes.com/all.php

NOTE: This site, zachbraffquotes.com, and everything contained on it is purely satire not affilitated to Zach Braff, Fox Searchlight, or Dreamworks Pictures in any way, shape, or form.These quotes are user submitted and therefore were NOT said or written by Zach Braff, but are merely satire.
admin@zachbraffquotes.com
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #168
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Right, but you haven't yourself moved anywhere. Your parents could afford to move for you, which is exactly what I envisioned in the first place: you're reasonably well-off and therefore your comparison to yourself doesn't stand up against ghettoes. I mean, damn, you have internet for a start, you've got a big head-start on more than a few Americans, probably a bigger one than I used to.
I've got wireless connection from my neighbor on a laptop which I worked my ass off for about nine months, and whatever money my parents make from their meager jobs they spend on alchohol. The one part of the kitchen that always has something in it is the rum drawer. I don't have cable, my parents don't pay rent almost every other month, and I'm not allowed to work during the school year, so I can't boost the family funds. I'm still a lot better off than what I was, but I'm still not considered well-off. At least I have electric and a well though. Also, when you say I haven't moved anywhere myself are you suggesting I run away? I'm still underage. Oh, I know I'm sounding whiny, it's just that compared to my friends at school I'm very poor.
P.S. We couldn't afford to move when we got evicted. My grandparents could afford to move us and gave us two choices of residence and paid the first months rent. My parents chose the residence farthest from the city.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #169
JCC

I mean that your parents (or grandparents) moved you, you didn't move, so there's no point citing all of this shit as a way of getting out of a bad area, as it turns out, the fact is that you know people with the money to get you out of said area, which obviously doesn't apply to getting out of the ghetto, everyone's as poor as each other.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #170
MegearaErotica

Oh, I listed all of those as more of an answer to the question,"What have you achieved?". I know that I didn't get myself out of there, but I am going to use my memories to reinforce my drive to make something of myself someday and become a productive member of society.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #171
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
O rly????????
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #172
JCC

Quote:
Oh, I listed all of those as more of an answer to the question,"What have you achieved?". I know that I didn't get myself out of there, but I am going to use my memories to reinforce my drive to make something of myself someday and become a productive member of society.
When you say 'become a productive member of society', do you mean:

a) Get a good job, get a house, start a family, live life fairly comfortably?
b) Live to make sure that nobody should have to be disadvantaged from birth, like yourself and other people from poor areas?

One of these is a productive member of society, another is a waste of space that keeps the wheel turning.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #173
MegearaErotica

Of course I choose b, what do you think I am, a lazy, uncaring, selfish teabagging cocksucker?! Wait, don't answer that because my self esteem is low enough as it is.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #174
Godslayer Jillian

You're terrible at arguments.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #175
MegearaErotica

You just now figured that out? I lasted a day in debate club, and normally stick to posts I don't need to argue over.