Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 07-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
CptSternn

Sarasota Police Storm McDonald's To Catch Drug Suspect

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul...suspect/?imw=Y

SARASOTA — Undercover police officers stormed a McDonald's restaurant and ordered diners and employees to the ground as they tried to catch a suspected cocaine dealer Thursday.

The Sarasota police officers were dressed in black, carried rifles and wore masks when they ran into the restaurant on the corner of Beneva and Fruitville roads. They burst through the door at dinner time, yelled for patrons to hide under tables and chased a 24-year-old man who hid in a bathroom.

It was a drug sting that went bad because of a milkshake.

Police say the arrest would have gone smoother if the suspect, Juan T. Dixon, had not stopped at the door of the restaurant to go back and grab his shake from the counter.

It was supposed to work like this:

A confidential informant and an undercover detective waited inside the restaurant to sell Dixon an ounce of cocaine and 100 Ecstasy pills for $950.

More than a dozen officers waited outside, including Lt. Steve Breakstone, who organized the operation. His role was to radio for squad cars to drive up for the arrest once the deal was complete.

The uniformed officers were supposed to swoop in and arrest Dixon in the parking lot. The deal, according to reports, went as planned -- with Breakstone calling for the squad cars when Dixon was about to leave.

Then, the milkshake.

With the squad cars zooming into the parking lot, Dixon turned around to get his drink from the counter.

When he got back to the door, he saw the cars waiting for him and, realizing he was about to be arrested, he ran for the bathroom.

He shoved a boy out of the way and hid inside.

The police officers burst through the door and yelled for everyone to get down. A customer, a woman who did not want her name used, ducked under a table and worried that the masked men were robbers, not police.

"I thought it was a gang," she said. "I mean, they had masks and guns and I never heard anyone say, 'police.' I thought these guys were coming to rob us."

Undercover officers routinely wear masks during drug buys to conceal their identities.

Breakstone and Sarasota Police Chief Peter Abbott say officers had no choice but to rush into the restaurant because they thought Dixon was armed and might flush the drugs down a toilet or barricade himself in the restroom.

"We had to go get him, or this thing could have been much worse," Breakstone said.

Breakstone and Abbott would not say whether detectives or the suspect chose the McDonald's as the location for the deal.

There were no injuries. Dixon was arrested and jailed on drug trafficking charges.

According to police reports, he still had the drugs on him when he was arrested. He was held without bail on Friday in the Sarasota County jail.

Abbott said it is common for undercover detectives to conduct stings and drug surveillance in public places because they do not want to raise a suspect's suspicions and place officers in greater jeopardy by requesting more remote locations.

"We don't want these guys to get their hackles up and do something stupid," Abbott said.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
CptSternn

A mate sent me this, I found it funny, but quite disturbing.

First, you have the fact cops used a public place for a sting. They are quoted as saying its routine. Does this bother any one living in America right now reading this? That the police would rather endanger the public than risk their own safety? I mean, isn't that what they get paid for? To get in the line of fire and keep civilians out of it?

Then there is the issue of the drugs. The man was buying drugs, not selling them. However, he is charged with drug trafficking. How does that work you ask? Well, turns out they no longer consider entrapment a valid defence in many states. That means the cops can contact you, encourage you to become a dealer, offer you a great deal on large amounts of illegal contraband, then arrest you and put you in jail for life when you accept.

I saw this happen right before I left Richmond. It made the news, but the people still got convicted. In the Richmond cases, they took a blonde model in a skimpy outfit and sent her into the local clubs to hit on men. She then would ask if they could find her some drugs. When they did, the cops swarm in, guns blazing, in the middle of various night clubs to arrest the man.

According to the state of Virginia, thats not entrapment. The men were all convicted, all first time offenders and many got a year or more for that.

I mean, are police so bored they now have to invent criminals to have something to do? I guess all those billions the US government is paying to hire all these new police in efforts to 'fight terrorism' have to go somewhere. It's too bad the only people that are getting arrested appear to be other Americans.

Personally, I'm glad I live in a country where entrapment is still illegal and the cops can't go around inventing crime and trying to trick people into breaking the law so they can arrest them.

I mean seriously, guys and girls, if a hot model type came up to you in a club or pub, starts flirting, is having drinks with you, and is all about getting naked and offers to go home with you if you supply them with some drugs, would you not find some drugs? I mean, everyone knows someone who can find something. If not, if you ask around the club your in you will probably find something.

They aren't arresting drug dealers, they are arresting men who want to get laid. Last I checked, that wasn't a crime.

I'm not sure how they got the man in the article to buy their drugs, but at the end of the day the only drugs were the ones the cops supplied. The only guns were the ones the cops waved around in a public restaurant at dinner time. The only ones wearing ski masks and yelling at people while they are eating to get down on the floor while aiming weapons at them, was the cops.

So who really are the bad guys?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
I'm not sure how they got the man in the article to buy their drugs, but at the end of the day the only drugs were the ones the cops supplied. The only guns were the ones the cops waved around in a public restaurant at dinner time. The only ones wearing ski masks and yelling at people while they are eating to get down on the floor while aiming weapons at them, was the cops.

So who really are the bad guys?
And this is why I hate the police.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote