Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Anarasha

I heard of this thing called Vampire Academy...

I recently heard of this thing named The Vamprie Academy or something.
Seeing as I am hungering for some proper vampire books to read after finishing Anne Rice, I would ask you all this:
Have any of you read these, and more importantly, are they worth reading? Or are they simply another steamy romance novel spun off of KindaLightKindaDarkCrapEyesore?
Suggestions as to other Vampire books that I could stick my nose into would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
Nilla

Hi Anarasha!

I can recommend you John Polidori's writing called The vampyre. This one is known as the very first gothic novel. If you're interested in non-fiction vampire litarture, then read Iris Gavzzi's book. It deals with the aesthetic of vampires and other supernatural creatures.
Enjoy!
Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Unknown_Kadath

Have you read, Let the Right One In?

They recently made it into a movie, which wasn't all bad, but the book was simply fantastic.
Unknown_Kadath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
vae victus

yea, i have to agree, Let the Right One In was great. Lindqvist is a damn good author.
vae victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Unknown_Kadath

Seriously. The way he described the Hakan was just too perfect and creepy, post disfigurement.
Unknown_Kadath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Despanan

Both the novel and graphic novel version of "I am Legend" are pretty good (Just make sure you stay away from the movie)...

Honestly though, most vampire stories suck ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
luna5770

Vampire academy is pretty good, it's scary but again not so much, plot is good and that's why i'm looking forward to read last, I think, 2 parts
luna5770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Rylee

Hmm..well I've read loads of vampire books including these and I would say they are somewhat decent.. I could recommend much better however. Have you read any of the books by Amelia Atwater Rhodes? The morgansville vampire books, by Rachel Caine are really good it has a nice take on vampires not just another mushy romance. Theres also the Thirst books by Christopher Pike, and the City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass trilogy by Cassandra Clare. Cirque Du Freak, by Darren Shan, Night World by L.J. Smith, The House of Night series, by P.C. Cast, Salem's Lot, by Stephen King. These are my favorites that I've read. I hope I helped. I have alot more i could recommend if you like.
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
JCC

It's called fucking VAMPIRE ACADEMY. You couldn't get a clearer signifier unless 'DON'T READ THIS BOOK' was printed on the spine that it is not for human consumption.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
DRM

Fact.

I've heard it sucks a lot.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
MacabreHellgrave

Look up Le Fanu's Carmilla, Jeanne Kalogradis' Covenant with the Vampire which takes place fifty years before Bram Stoker's Dracula comes into play, but has no relation with Stoker canonically. Dracula has lingering mortal family, and Arkady Tsepesh, one of the central characters learns of his uncle's nature as a vampire.... slowly.

I've never read Poppy Z Brite's take on vampires, anybody know if she's up to par? I've read most of the Anne Rice novels, so the author's tendency to pepper her work generally with instances and subjects of homosexuality doesn't bother me at all.

... A general comment about Rice's work: 'Twas only the pederasty found in The Vampire Armand that made me wince slightly, and I'm a Classics major. Anne is also at times, a tad too descriptive, spending more time on describing the paintings on the walls rather than writing something riveting for her characters to say or advancing the action.

Given my choice of major, I enjoyed Pandora and Blood and Gold probably the most, with Tale of the Body Thief being my least favourite because I remember that book being dull. Finally,Mnemnoch the Devil was a bit too ambitious and hard to follow personally.
MacabreHellgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 AM   #12
Lady Ruthven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I can recommend you John Polidori's writing called The vampyre. This one is known as the very first gothic novel.
Good recommendation! But sorry I'm going to be a literary pedant and say that it was the first vampire novel in english, not the first gothic novel, because that is generally accepted to be The Castle of Otranto, which was published 55 years earlier.
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
TheLonelyGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by vae victus View Post
yea, i have to agree, Let the Right One In was great. Lindqvist is a damn good author.
Yes I agree with you, I loved the book and the only vampire book I enjoyed reading other than Annie Rice. I'd like to check out other Vampire novels but I'm afraid they'll all end up being like Twilight.
TheLonelyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 AM   #14
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
It's called fucking VAMPIRE ACADEMY. You couldn't get a clearer signifier unless 'DON'T READ THIS BOOK' was printed on the spine that it is not for human consumption.
This image would appear to support you. Also, click the Soundcloud link. If I had to hear that SO DO ALL OF YOU.

http://pitchfork.com/news/53720-list...my-soundtrack/
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #15
gothwallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
couldn't have put it better!
gothwallace is offline   Reply With Quote