Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #101
December_Rose

Impromptu, I'm a sucker for period pieces.
December_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:47 PM   #102
CultNietzsche

The Last Samuri - AMAZING! Tom cruise was great and his Japanese, i must say, is superb

Matrix Revolution - SUCKED. bored to tears. the only good parts was when Sati was on teh screen..shes charming little girl..and when Sati and Oracle were baking cookies
visually pleasing...content wise...appalling
CultNietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #103
comatoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultNietzsche
Matrix Revolution - SUCKED. bored to tears. the only good parts was when Sati was on teh screen..shes charming little girl..and when Sati and Oracle were baking cookies
visually pleasing...content wise...appalling

It sucked soooo badly . And I had so much hope that the trilogy would end better than it did. I also got the feeling that they left it open for a fourth movie down the road....oy

last movie I saw in the theatre was Butterfly Effect. I went into it skeptical but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a nice, dark love story
comatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #104
Loy

A few I just watched....

"Heavy Metal Parking Lot"-A 20 minute short film. Basically, in 1986, Jeff Krulick walked around the parking lot of a Judas Priest concert before the show started, interviewing fans. Frickin' hilarious. And John Waters has said that he was disturbed by it!

"Gemini"-Really creepy mindscraper from Shinya ("Tetsuo-The Iron Man") Tsukamoto based on an Edogawa Rampo story. And my pals at Subversive Cinema are bringing it over here (!!!!!!!).

"Baba Yaga"-70's Eurotrash adaptation of a Guido Crepax comic strip. While not as much campy fun as "Barberella" or "Modesty Blaise", the weird mod/comic feel of the film definately carries it fairly well.
Loy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:51 PM   #105
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
VAn Helsing. Saw it with my boyfrined, and made fun of it the whoel time. Which isn't to say we didn't both love it, but that we're just smart asses. It was very very cool. Hugh Jackman is actually very good, unlike most of the actors from X-men (Halle Berry should never have been Storm (some of them (patrick stewart and ian mckellanw ere really well cast though)).

The friar was the best. You've got to love him.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:11 AM   #106
mudgrrl

endless sunshine on a spotless mind, gothika and kill bill 2. i enjoyed all of them immensely.
mudgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:49 PM   #107
MorganScorpion

Last movie - "Finding Nemo" - not the kind of thing I'd normally go for, but a trsuted friend reccommended it so I thought I'd give it a go. I totally loved it, and find it hard to believe that it was really a Disney film.

Before that I watched "The Green Mile", which I enjoyed far more than I did the first time I saw it.
MorganScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #108
ice

Saw two more ... well more, but the others were on HBO so I forgot them :roll:

Amelie and Little Big Man.

I really liked Amelie.
I don't know what it is, but it seems I tend to enjoy movies more when I don't know what the hell they're saying. I like reading those little captions. I bet that if Das Boot was in English, I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much as if it were in German (which it was).
Amelie was a very .interesting. movie. Amelie herself, reminds me of ... well me.

Little Big Man.
Wow. I haven't seen this movie in... forever.
I loved it the first time (I was young though, and didn't quite understand it), but to see it again knocked my socks off. The whole movie all in all was done superbly. Not a single bit of dialogue was uneeded. Someone kept talking to me while the movie was going, and grr. I felt like I missed seeing Hale-bop.

Well. Not quite as critical as I thought I would be...
Oh, well.

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:20 PM   #109
Andorra

The last movie I saw was The Last Samurai at my friend Jon's house. It was very good but...now he's more obsessed with samurai than he was before... :roll:
Andorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:59 AM   #110
The_Crazy_Irishman

Last three movies I watched were The Last Samurai, Butterfly Effect and Van Helsing.

The Last Samurai- This is a brilliant film, and not just because of my love of japanese culture, and more specificly the samurai. Though it was a lot more impressive at the cinema, it still is an excellant movie to rent out. I'd have given it a 4 out of 5 were it not for one scene. Be warned if you don't want it spoiled for you, the scene I'm talking about is the final charge of the samurai against the gatling guns, it builds up the tension with the music, and then just as the gatling guns open fire, the music stops, meaning you only hear the guns just for a few seconds. I couldn't tell you why I find it beautiful, I just do. 5 out of 5

Butterfly Effect- I went into the cinema quite skeptical, what with it being a movie about time travel, which can be messed up very easily, but I was pleasantly surprised, I enjoyed it and it seems like a movie that I could watch again and again. Though it's about time travel, it pulls it off very well, with only 2 flaws I noticed but I'll let them pass. I feel I should at least watch it again just to formulate a good opnion about it. So atm no rating.

Van Helsing- Just in case you guys start thinking I love every movie I see (or more correctly, be bothered to go see, ie. it looks like a good way to spend my money) I didn't particularlly like this movie. Sure it was an alright action movie, but it lacked a believable plot, and the over-acting of Dracula and his Brides was astounding. I felt it was quite obvious that there was a sequel planned (though not as obvious as Terminator 3). So I'd give this a 3 out of 5, but thats with the CGI and action sequences having not gotten old, yet.
The_Crazy_Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:22 AM   #111
.BatteryPoison.

Twisted (2004)

Oddly enough, this was the only film on the line-up at the $1 theater that I had never seen a trailer for. Out of a long list of films I knew would get under my skin, I mistakenly went with this one. Of course, after having sat through the *entire* movie (believe me, if you can do the same then you need to get an EEG to make sure you're not completely brain-dead), it's easy to see why no one has ever heard of this "flick."

Starring recognizable names such as Ashely Judd, Sammual L Jackson, and Andy Garcia, "Twisted" pays tribute to the old adage, "You can't judge a book by it's cover." No one amongst the production staff nor the cast gave two shits about the making of this film. Why? Well for one, the script was pure unoriginal, uninspired, and unprogressive, third-rate thriller hogwash written by someone with the mental competency of a twenty three year old grade school drop out who has a knack for writing incoherent screenplays.

Not only does this entire film come out with guns blazing on every single cliche and stereotype you can possibly squeeze and cram into a crime-thriller (of which, most of these elements are introduced entirely assed-backwards or in a sense that is completely illogical), but it's dialogue is written so badly that it comes off as a parody. Unfortunately the heavy handed tone of sincerity and seriousness prevents you from actually coming forward and just laughing at the entire scheme.

Instead, "Twisted" merely bores you to tears with it's fragmented storyline and horrible acting. Of course "horrible" doesn't even do an adjective justice in describing the acting here. At one point, Judd enters into the home of Garcia, accusing him of one thing or another, and he goes from defensively calm and confused to furious rage in a single sentence (verbal and emotional transitions are apparently over-rated here). As ridiculous as that is, it can't even begin to compare with Judd's ultimate "break-down" scene where she plays "Go Fish" with a pile of photos and sheds phoney tears while assuming the position of table-top nap taking in front of investigators.

There's little, if anything, to like about this film at all. Judd plays the strong, knowitall heroin who happens to be a chain-smoking alcoholic with a major attitude problem and a need to fornicate with many, many strange men. From the get-go, her cocky attitude and narcissistic self-interests get under your skin and completely alienate you from ever relating. The only character I found even remotely interesting was the "ball-breaking" detective at the station who devoted his entire role in the movie to shooting down Judd. And while he failed to do so with any sense of wit or actual humor, at least he introduced the element of "logic" to the movie (only to be told later that "she *was* really guessing right and he just underestimated her").

Even the mystique of the movie is completely see-through. Judd's character is a detective who drinks herself stupid until she ultimately passes out in her apartment every night. When she wakes up the next morning, someone she knows (scratch that... "she's slept with") turns up dead with a cigarette burn placed on the back of the hand as a signature (naturally, every character in "Twisted" is a chain-smoker, which helps to narrow it down). For the majority of the time, the movie tries to imply that she's responsible for the murders, which makes perfect sense if you look at it. Judd drinks until she passes out in her apartment. She then gets up (unknowingly) and methodically kills some random person she slept with using stealth and prowess (while completely intoxicated to the point of 'blacking-out'), then makes the trip back to her apartment and collapses in the very same place she originally passed out. Yeah, I'll buy that.

Now... when I normally tell people I recommend they not see a particular movie, I don't place an adverb like "strongly" in front of "recommend." But here, it's more than warranted. Horrible acting, predictable/cliche characters, atrocious dialogue, and just about everything else about this movie is just... really, really bad. Wasting money on a shitty movie is one thing, but you'll feel robbed of your time if you succumb to this pathetic sham of a film for free.

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #112
ice

Bwahahahaha!
Wow,
that was the most scathing review I've ever seen you write...
I think I'll take your advice :P
Iseen another movie, recently. In fact yesterday.
Taxi Driver.
Classic movie, acting incredible, and you gotta love De Niro.
"You talking ta me? You talkin ta me? I don' see anyone else, you talking ta me?"
I unfortunately missed the first ten minutes of it, so I'm sure I missed something important.
The movie would have been unrecognisable if it had been made today, in fact, it would have been horrible.
Hmph. My review skillZ pale in comparison to BPs, eh? :P

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #113
black_fairy

This night I'm gonna see Troya, tomorrow I will write my opinion....
Old 05-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #114
Emptysoul

The last movie i watched what Helter Skelter - The charlie manson movie.. it was the remake on tv.. but that movie dosent really count.. so ill say the one i watched befor that one.. The Doors..We had the movie a long time ago but never watched it but when i finially did it was suprisingly really really good..
Emptysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:31 AM   #115
Maimy

I cannot hear Peter O'Toole's name (or see it, apparently) without thinking, "Muff O'Clit".

That is all.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #116
Nike

I've seen Troja yesterday and I was very disappointed. I have expected that the story would not be the same as the Ilias narrates, but after so many good and graphic publications about ancient greek warfare I expected at least good fighting scenes. There were some nearly authentic in the second part of the movie, but in general it was disappointing. Why Menelaos and Agamemnon were dying during the war I don't really understand and on the other hand Paris, Andromache and Astyanax, Helena and Briseis who are supposed to be dead can flee and that story around that sword...bah
Old 05-24-2004, 06:41 AM   #117
Loy

Just rewatched the new "Zatoichi".

Beat Takeshi as the blind swordsman.

(trying to find bucket to collect up drool pouring out of mouth)

Hands down the best film so far this year.

Also finished watching the 3rd season of "Trailer Park Boys"...imagine "Gummo" with cannuck accents and a laugh track.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #118
Daz

so the other night, when the painting was done and the frame was up, i sat with my room mate and watched Equilibrium, again. You know what... even if the story line of the movie sucked ass i'd still watch this movie, just to see Christian Bale and Taye Diggs. Truth be told,i have an obsession with Christian Bale, have since Empire of the Sun actually. I mean realistically the guy is only three years older than me... unfortunately he happens to be famous which oddly enough is kinda a turn off, but he's amazing to look at and he's a damn fine actor so its great to see him in movies. I'm a little frightened by his apperance in the machinist but i havent seen the movie yet so it could turn out alright. you have no idea how much i am looking forward to seeing him as batman.. how perfect is this... a story i love and an amazing actor... with any luck it wont turn out the same way van helsing did :twisted:
Old 05-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #119
ohthefuckwell

shrek 2.

YES! i said "shrek 2".

funny shit, man. yes, the ending was predictable, but still.....pretty fucking funny.

there were just as many adults without children as there were adults with children there. and, of course, a nice, even smattering of "grown up" jokes that would totally go over the heads of the little ones.

and, mael.....i finally found a movie that i really liked antonio banderas in. *grin*
Old 05-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #120
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthefuckwell

and, mael.....i finally found a movie that i really liked antonio banderas in. *grin*
Yeah, he rocked that Pussy :shock:

I took the crumb snatchers out to see this one too, and loved every moment. Not just becuase the fruit of my loins were with me, though that was great, but the movie was hilarious. I'm a sucker for anything that makes fun of pop-culture, probably why I find the Family Guy so fascinating, and following are a few of the icons they ripped from.

Little Mermaid.
Godfather.
Blazing Saddles.
Godzilla.
Mars Attacks (maybe a stretch)
Cinderlla.
Sports Illustrated.
The Medical Industry. (Warning Label on the back of Happily Ever After is a gaser)
Zorro.
Snow White.
Beverly Hill's Cop.

lol yeah....

and don't forget "love potion #9"
Old 05-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #121
Morpheus_Noctifer

I have to agree with what everyone said about "Shrek II", and I'd just like to add that it had quite a few 70's TV references and quite a lot of phoney product placement during their big mockery of Hollywood, where people's brains have gone "Far Far Away."

And yeah, it did have a predictable ending, but they made up for that with a very well-done plotline and lots of smart comedy...and a few well-placed fart jokes.
Morpheus_Noctifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:22 AM   #122
secretboy

HOLY CRAP!

"Beat" Takeshi remade Zatoichi????

Dude, I'm so there. How fucking awesome.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:10 AM   #123
Gypsy2222

Alright... I know that this is going to sound completely Non- the Gypsy and absolutely "Sooooo Goooooooth", but I couldn't help it!

So I was meandering about the Post exchange the other day (a trip I rarely make as it is usually quite fruitless aside from hygeine materials) and in the back of the video section, lying in a corner all covered in dust hidden behind several other un-used selections that soldiers often bypass I found the entire first and second dvd collections of Dark Shadows!!! Aaahhh!!! lol.... So of course I chucked up the Eighty dollars... and now own both sets... I sat up watching the Collins family all day when I should have been sleeping.... he he he... Sorry to those who wanted me to get some sleep this past week... lol...

Barnabus Collins was a major influence on my development in my youth so I am very pleased with this happenstance.... he he he...

An excellent series considering the technology of the time and the general mass views on Horror of the period... Which was of course 1966-1971...

My $0.02...

Always and ever,
~The Gypsy~
Old 05-25-2004, 10:57 AM   #124
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy2222
I sat up watching the Collins family all day when I should have been sleeping.... he he he... Sorry to those who wanted me to get some sleep this past week... lol...
tsk tsk.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy2222
Barnabus Collins was a major influence on my development in my youth so I am very pleased with this happenstance.... he he he...
ah-ha!! NOW it makes (even more) sense! *hee*
Old 05-25-2004, 11:11 PM   #125
~GabriellShannon~

Dark Shadows heh?

Didn't your mom have like all of those recorded
~GabriellShannon~ is offline   Reply With Quote