Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

ATTENTION please please do me this small favour everyone

Can you do me a favor please please please sign this petition http://www.gopetition.com/online/11754.html it is against pasturisation of almonds. Vegeterians and vegans consume them as a large portioon of our nutrition and if we can't get raw almonds our health is severely compromised.
It's for US, Canada and Mexico/
Old 07-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

You're severely compromised if you can't eat almonds?
No.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
You're severely compromised if you can't eat almonds?
No.
If you're going to ask a question then answer it right there, why ask. Must you disagree and attack everything.
Yes, I need almonds for nutrition, yes it's important, end of story. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

Online Petitions: reversing governmental policy decisions since 19you'reafucktard.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Graveyard.Crow

I'm sorry to hear that you don't care enough about anything to even do a simple thing as this. Anyone who does, it will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Delkaetre

Explain why *almonds* are so important and unique. Explain why there's absolutely no way at all to reasonably survive on a balanced diet that doesn't contain almonds, and how it is that nut allergy sufferers manage to maintain a vegetarian diet without major health problems despite not eating any almonds.

Explain why almonds are so very special that they should be exempt from a basic sanitising procedure like pasturisation.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you don't care enough about anything to even do a simple thing as this. Anyone who does, it will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
Anything?

No, I just don't care about this.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Are you really incapable of exercising your rational mind sufficiently to overcome the snuggly feeling of drive-through "activism" and realizing that online petitions are, without exception, utterly ineffectual?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Catch

I signed. Though pasturized is good, I like having options.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

I would support what you're saying, but as GM says, online petitions do nothing.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
Explain why *almonds* are so important and unique. Explain why there's absolutely no way at all to reasonably survive on a balanced diet that doesn't contain almonds, and how it is that nut allergy sufferers manage to maintain a vegetarian diet without major health problems despite not eating any almonds.

Explain why almonds are so very special that they should be exempt from a basic sanitising procedure like pasturisation.
depends on what kind of diet you lead
however there are raw vegans for example who rely on fruits, veggies and nuts, so if you can't have nuts wtf are you going to eat?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
Graveyard.Crow

At the very least they shouldn't call them "raw" and actually put the truth on the label. People who are willing to take the risk should have the option to have a completely raw product. I'm not saying online petitions will change the world, but at LEAST there maybe a slight chance. Thank you to all that helped.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
Graveyard.Crow

Plus, it doesn't take much to sign a simple online petition.
GM, please stop turning everything into some contest. I'm not doing this to prove I'm an activist, I'm doing this because it bothers me personally, mkaay?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Solumina

Try an email and/or write in campaign, they are more effective than an online petition. Try and have people write individual letters instead of having a standard letter that people simply copy, paste, and send, officials who receive your letter will be much more likely to take it into consideration if it is an individual letter. Also you should be sure to write/type to your local officials, even though they may not have direct power over this they do tend to have connections with those who do and are more likely to have the ability to take an interest in the concerns of individuals.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Plus, it doesn't take much to sign a simple online petition.
GM, please stop turning everything into some contest. I'm not doing this to prove I'm an activist, I'm doing this because it bothers me personally, mkaay?
He's not trying to make it into some contest, what he's basically saying is that an online petition will not change anything.

If you were serious about making a difference then you would attempt this with a method more likely to succeed, no matter how little the increase in chance. (Solumina has this covered)

Mkaay?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Wait wait wait. I signed the petition but now I'm wondering about two things - it actually makes me feel bad I would sign something without clearing all doubts first.

First, what's wrong with pasteurization as far as vegans go? Pasteurization does not necessitate animal products anywhere in the process.
Is this then just a problem for the feel-good "I buy only organic" assholes? Are they complaining about a perfectly benign process that makes almonds more accessible by slowing down microbe growth so they last longer, merely because they know that hey have the luxury of getting them fresh with no economic difficulty?

If this is so, the only argument I see here is from the part of the producers, not the consumers, who are forced to pasteurize their almonds whether they want to or not, simply because of our pandemia paranoia. This is where the laws of supply and demand prove to be effectual. If the process of pasteurization benefited the growers somehow, they would want to pasteurize them. No need for a law. In that way, I agree with signing a petition like this.

But that leads to my second question:
Isn't this futile as the petition says that this 'will happen' in 2007?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #17
Tam Li Hua

1. That's a pretty old petition, and I guess that since it's still around and hasn't been updated, the pasteurization process for almonds went into effect 2 years ago. [That being said, the only absolute, sure way to make sure your nuts aren't "tainted" is probably to just grow them yourself.]

2. If you feel the need to be vegan or vegetarian, then do as you wish. However, I tend to believe mankind was born to be omnivores, and that there's nothing wrong with us eating meat or other animal products.

3. I'm confused on why pasteurizing nuts would make them unsuitable for vegans or vegetarians...

4. Online petitions have been proven wholly ineffectual, which is why I hardly ever sign them. Like Solumina said, there are other, much more effective methods to encourage change.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #18
Saya

Quote:
depends on what kind of diet you lead
however there are raw vegans for example who rely on fruits, veggies and nuts, so if you can't have nuts wtf are you going to eat?
But you said "vegetarians and vegans", if this is just for the raw vegan crowd then you can kindly leave the rest of us out of it, they represent a small minority of us and its more than easy to avoid almonds on a vegan diet and remain healthy, the only thing I can think of that I consume at all is Almond Breeze, and thats pretty sparingly.

But really, if you really can't stand the idea of almonds being heated a bit (I can understand the use of fumigation since it does involve carcinogens), do as Solumina says and write in.

EDIT: I googled it and the petition is indeed extremely outdated, the law passed and now almond producers are suing:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...s-sue-usda.php
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

GC, is your persona here a joke?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
Beneath the Shadows

I don't see how pasteurization would make almonds less vegan-friendly.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
I don't see how pasteurization would make almonds less vegan-friendly.
Its just raw food vegans who want their food uncooked, whereas pasteurization would mean that they are OH NOES steamed!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
Beneath the Shadows

How many "raw food vegans" are there compared to regular vegans?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
Saya

Not many, but never seen a comparison in numbers. I know a few vegans who like raw food recipes and even try to eat mostly raw in the summer, but don't know of anyone who's 100% raw year round.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #24
Godslayer Jillian

It's hard to say, but I say that probably think of it in proportion to organic food buyers compared to just regular food buyers.
I might even dare to say there's more raw vegans that are so because they're primitivists than just raw vegans as a further step to regular vegans.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #25
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
If you're going to ask a question then answer it right there, why ask. Must you disagree and attack everything.
Yes, I need almonds for nutrition, yes it's important, end of story. Thanks.
So important that you've been unknowingly living without them for two years and noticed no change?
Hahaha you suck.