Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #3126
Solumina

It is pretty standard when you get married to get gifts for your bridesmaids, jewelry seems to be the most common gift but not the only option, just something to say "thanks for taking care of everything that would have stressed me out, especially my family". I decided to have us all get together for manicures and pedicures, me, my girls, and my mom, as my gift to them (mother and sister in law were invited but it was the day before the wedding and they were not able to make it into town that early). Was this a bad, tacky gift? I mean it was a nice place, they did a fantastic job, and everyone had fun but should I have chosen an item instead of a service?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #3127
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post

Figured there needed to be an opposition to this squirrel presidency thingy.

Squirrels will not be silenced.

HP - YAH!! Vote 1 for Foamy!
KED - you will be rewarded for your loyalty!

I wonder if squirrels really did take over, would they start wearing hats made of human skin? hmmm..

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #3128
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
It is pretty standard when you get married to get gifts for your bridesmaids, jewelry seems to be the most common gift but not the only option, just something to say "thanks for taking care of everything that would have stressed me out, especially my family". I decided to have us all get together for manicures and pedicures, me, my girls, and my mom, as my gift to them (mother and sister in law were invited but it was the day before the wedding and they were not able to make it into town that early). Was this a bad, tacky gift? I mean it was a nice place, they did a fantastic job, and everyone had fun but should I have chosen an item instead of a service?
Sounds fine to me. It's better than getting some crappy jewellery that you will never wear again.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #3129
Solumina

Thanks, I'm helping someone else plan her wedding and she kind of made a funny face when I gave that as a suggestion and it made me a bit paranoid cuz I love my bridesmaids and I wanted to be a good bride.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #3130
Solumina

Why do the amazon banner ads keep telling me to by books by Glen Beck?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #3131
Saya

Might be because the ads react to what words we use, and we have a thread with his name on it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #3132
korinna5555

Man, I made some fucking tasty miso soup today.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #3133
Solumina

Oooo I love miso soup, I want some!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #3134
Saya

Happy Valentine's Day Gnet!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #3135
Solumina

That is so creepy yet awesome.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #3136
Saya

Thinking about getting a pair of rats after I have to give Mercedes back to my sister. I'd like a cat of my own but if I go on to do my Masters in a few years time, I might go out of the country to do it (love Canada, but if I'm doing Asian Religions it seems smarter to go to Asia) and I'd feel like a jackass giving a cat up to a shelter. So I'm thinking about getting rats again, the small animal shelter seems to have them regularly....hmmm.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #3137
Saya

http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com

I can tell who doesn't listen to CBC Radio!

And wasn't Rebellion (Lies) a big hit years ago, or was that just in Canada?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #3138
Solumina

If you would really like a cat you could always look into fostering, a lot of people shy away from fostering because they think their house will get turned into a zoo but you can foster animals one at a time. It helps get animals out of shelters, especially if they aren't adoptable right away (like they are underweight, are missing a patch of hair and waiting for it to grow back, or have some minor medical condition that they are recovering from), until they can be adopted. Depending on the shelters near you all medical expenses may be paid for by the shelter, some help with food an litter costs, you can even foster a ready to adopt animal if you are okay with people coming to your home to meet the animal (after they have been screened and whatnot by the shelter so you wouldn't have to deal with people who just want to play with your kitty or anything). You can specify to the shelter what you would be willing or able to handle and a lot of them will be accommodating and are really grateful for the help. It can still be hard on people since eventually the animal is going to go to someone else, or you will just fall helplessly in love with the little bugger and adopt them even if you know that you aren't really in a position to be a forever home.

Jake and I were looking into fostering dogs (one at a time) but the shelter we were going to help with couldn't cover the pet deposit or pet rent, they can do medical and help with food because they have their own medical staff and their food costs are subsidized (we would still have to pay but just a good bit less than retail), but they can't help with out of pocket expenses. I think it’s for the best as I get attached really easily. I still miss Luna, who is a cat I looked after for 1 week a few years ago, she didn't meow, just made the most adorable little squeaking sound, like a super happy little kitten.

That being said rats make great pets so if you really want rats, get the rats.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #3139
Saya

My problem with fostering is the two places that do it. One is a no-kill and doesn't even have a shelter, and I love that they're no-kill for space, but I hate that they're no-kill even if the animal is in a really bad state and suffering a lot. The other one is the small animal rescue and while I love rats, they don't seem to need fosters for those but they DO need fosters for rabbits, which I've never taken care of and I'd be scared shitless Lucy would be rough with one. She's been around rats before and I think they gross her out, but rabbits are big enough to mistake for a playmate I think.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #3140
Solumina

Ah I can understand that. Rabbits are adorable and full of love but they are messy. My old roommate Em has rabbits and they get along fine with her cat but her cat is really easy going so I'm not sure how typical their relationship is.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #3141
MrBlackDarkness666

I have 2 gerbils, Marilyn & Manson ^_____^
MrBlackDarkness666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #3142
vindicatedxjin

My friend started a comic, it's hilarious www.realamerika.com
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #3143
MrBlackDarkness666

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9psUIJ5Mw0
MrBlackDarkness666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #3144
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
My friend started a comic, it's hilarious www.realamerika.com
you know, i hate america, and can't WAIT to expatriate to germany, but the dialogue in the comic sucked so bad that i couldn't finish it. i seriously can't stand people allowing themselves to be victimized, even if it's in a comic.
meh...
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #3145
Solumina

I just found out why Jess has hated me more since October. While she was up with Spencer (he was one of Jake's groomsmen) she knew that we were having a very small wedding so our attendants didn't get guests, the only person with a guest was Jake's sister as her boyfriend was her ride from way the fuck away (she couldn't drive due to fairly recent knee surgery). I'm still not sure why Jess came up with Spencer (she wasn't dressed for the wedding so it isn't like she was planning on crashing or anything) but she decided to do a few things in the area like looking at caterers and wedding venues, including the caterer and venue that Jake and I were using for our celebration. Before that she knew that Jake and I had a bigger budget than she and Spencer cuz I had talked to them (back when we were all on somewhat better terms) about wedding planning stuff and they did tell me what their budget was and I told them how hard it was going to be to have as big of a wedding as they wanted with their budget. I was honest that I couldn’t do what I was doing on their budget but I never told them what my budget was and I think Jess had just assumed it was only a little bigger than theirs but when she talked to our caterer and our venue she found out that each of them were over her total budget and she resents that. A big part of it is that she does like to think of me and Jake being below her and Spencer, after all we work at a resort, Spencer is a teacher and she is becoming an Army officer (she is currently ROTC and in the reserves, she graduates this spring), this kind of reminded her that she can't look down her nose at us and it seriously bruised her ego.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #3146
Underwater Ophelia

She sounds like an asshole.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #3147
Solumina

I tend to use the term "bitch-cunt" but asshole works too.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #3148
Underwater Ophelia

Like. You had a nice wedding. That's nice.
She can have a nice wedding, too.

Why does she have to be like I DIDN'T HAVE EXPENSIVE LFOWERS AND SHIT AND THAT MATTERS SINCE THIS IS ABOUT IMPREESSING PEOPLE AND NOT CELEBRATING MY PARTNER.

(i'm drunk)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #3149
Solumina

The thing is she and Spencer (well mostly Spencer) are paying for their own wedding. Most people our age couldn't really afford to do that, yeah their budget is below the average wedding budget but it is enough to have a nice wedding. She should just be happy about that, but no she wants to top the weddings of all of the people she knows and Jake and I are the only people she hasn't been able to top. It's really stupid and really petty, but that's Jess.

She doesn't even want to look at free or next to free venues because having one would be "tacky". There is an historic military base right over in Hampton that will let people in the military use their officers hall for free, the place is classy, something like that somewhere else would cost bank, but it is owned by the military and they make it available to their people, so that makes it tacky in her mind.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #3150
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
The thing is she and Spencer (well mostly Spencer) are paying for their own wedding. Most people our age couldn't really afford to do that, yeah their budget is below the average wedding budget but it is enough to have a nice wedding. She should just be happy about that, but no she wants to top the weddings of all of the people she knows and Jake and I are the only people she hasn't been able to top. It's really stupid and really petty, but that's Jess.

She doesn't even want to look at free or next to free venues because having one would be "tacky". There is an historic military base right over in Hampton that will let people in the military use their officers hall for free, the place is classy, something like that somewhere else would cost bank, but it is owned by the military and they make it available to their people, so that makes it tacky in her mind.
I think we agree that there's nothing tacky about free.
Hot pink chiffon? Tacky.
paying admission to a wedding? Tacky.
TAking advantage of a free, but classy venue is not tacky.