Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #4326
Ben Lahnger

Well, no flames from these quarters. I'm just glad you're still here, and show up HERE from time to time. You definitely make this place more interesting than if you weren't here.

My rant is that I am having a freakin' frustrating time fighting my dog's flea infestation. I had done so many things - flea shampoo, flea collars (which I've since read are useless), flea drops, flea sprays, carpet vacuuming and treatment - and he keeps getting them again. The shampoo and spray are both effective for a few days but it appears that he's bringing fleas in again from outdoors. The drops are not effective, and I read that the cheaper brands use a chemical called Permethrin that is actually pretty good against ticks but really doesn't do diddly to stop fleas. So I've spent a lot of money and I'm back to square one.

Today I'm giving him a bath with the flea shampoo. Then I'm going to apply Advantage drops after doing extensive research. Then tomorrow he and I are going somewhere else for a bit while I fog the apartment. And that should fix it for the moment. The Advantage should keep the outdoor-indoor traffic to a minimum, and eventually I hope to treat the areas where I walk my dog with Nematodes.

It's like having to fight a fucking war. Dangit!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #4327
carakitty

Sorry nothing seems to be helping with the fleas, Ben. Wish I knew of something to help. Sadly, we don't really have to deal with the little fuckers because our cats are 100% indoors only and I'm not being exposed to tons of other (potentially flea-ridden) animals first hand, yet.

My rants today are so trivial and temporary I don't even want to mention them.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #4328
OnyxBat

Ben, Try finding the powder that worked on my cat.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #4329
carakitty

Is it by Adams, OnyxBat?
We used Adams stuff on the dog we had when I was growing up.
Haven't researched it lately though
Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #4330
OnyxBat

Carakitty, sorry I do t really remeber but I'll hae to ask my mom later, basically you just bathe the animal in the powder and wash it off two to three days later.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #4331
Ben Lahnger

The powder would be as effective as the shampoo has been, but the effect only last a few days and then he gets reinfected from going outdoors. And the shampoo is easier for me to apply than the powder ... plus, he needs a good bath from time to time anyway. I'd rather give him a bath and get the job done than have to powder him and then have to give him a bath in a few days anyway.

Plus, he smells so good after a bath! LOL!

But thanks for the suggestion.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 AM   #4332
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Well, no flames from these quarters. I'm just glad you're still here, and show up HERE from time to time. You definitely make this place more interesting than if you weren't here.

My rant is that I am having a freakin' frustrating time fighting my dog's flea infestation. I had done so many things - flea shampoo, flea collars (which I've since read are useless), flea drops, flea sprays, carpet vacuuming and treatment - and he keeps getting them again. The shampoo and spray are both effective for a few days but it appears that he's bringing fleas in again from outdoors. The drops are not effective, and I read that the cheaper brands use a chemical called Permethrin that is actually pretty good against ticks but really doesn't do diddly to stop fleas. So I've spent a lot of money and I'm back to square one.

Today I'm giving him a bath with the flea shampoo. Then I'm going to apply Advantage drops after doing extensive research. Then tomorrow he and I are going somewhere else for a bit while I fog the apartment. And that should fix it for the moment. The Advantage should keep the outdoor-indoor traffic to a minimum, and eventually I hope to treat the areas where I walk my dog with Nematodes.

It's like having to fight a fucking war. Dangit!
Can you block off the area of the outside where the dog is picking the fleas up from? It's a shame that you can dust your dog down with the flea powder before you go for a walk (or something that will deter fleas from jumping on it).

Found this link - I don't have a dog to try it on but maybe an option.
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-s...-control.html#

Thx for the support. I hate it when the past catchs up with me.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #4333
Ben Lahnger

Thanks for your feedback. I started on the green, gentle side of this thing, but I've gradually had to escalate the power of the tools I'm using. (I've been fighting this battle for 3 months.)

That's because, as I've learned from my online research, there's a lot of well-meaning green home-brew flea remedies, but while they sound good they aren't very effective. The current types of flea breeds are very stubborn and highly resistant to the gentle effects of those types of mild, natural relief.

As far as the outdoor source is concerned, I live in a large apartment complex. So I don't control what the management or my neighbors do. But with the regular application of the Advantage flea drops I should keep the fleas from surviving the trip in when they jump on my dog outside, and it should kill them before they can lay eggs. In fact, it's supposed to render them almost immediately unable to bite him.

In a little while, when I can afford them, I will be buying those Nematodes. That is a green, natural way to deal with the problem. The Nematodes are a type of very small worm that you spread around the area where you walk your dog. The worms attack other insects like fleas in that area by burrowing into their bodies and killing them.

So I will use a green solution when I can, but for now I desperately need to give my beloved friend some relief from the near constant itching and biting.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 AM   #4334
Ben Lahnger

Oh, as long as I'm posting to the Rant Thread, let me add that I've gotten a few flea bites myself.

I have two legitimate phobias. I think they are rational phobias; that is, they make sense to me as being two things one should be reasonably afraid of.

Heights and parasites - they freak me out. The fear of heights speaks for itself. I'm no germaphobe, but what parasites do to and inside your body just give me the creeps.

[/rant]

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #4335
Saya

We're going to have to send a few plague doctors to your house!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #4336
Ben Lahnger

I'll be on the lookout for people in wide-brimmed black hats, black overcoats and wearing primitive-looking gas masks.

(Multiple humorous references are warring for attention in my mind.)

I have an ongoing battle of joking insults going with my girlfriend regarding cats versus dogs (she's a cat person.) Does this give me the right to crack an insensitive joke about needing to kill cats en masse? Never mind. It's a very bad idea, I know. And only a little funny ... tee hee?

Also, what does my cleric have to roll on a d20 to exorcise these pests? ... tee hee?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #4337
Saya

All I wanted today was pad thai and I was promised pad thai two days in a row now but my friends are flakes Q_Q I'm going to get pad thai tomorrow, alone if I have to.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #4338
ape descendant

mmmm... hey, now I want pad thai!!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #4339
Pineapple_Juice

My ex that I love forever says he wants to marry me. I hate when people screw with my brain. I think the smartest option is to say no.........
BUT WILL I?!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #4340
Fruitbat

Ben You can make any sort of reference you like about cats. I'm both a dog and cat person.

Fortunately my cat overlords are like dogs, except they do a lot of cat scheming and plotting.

I figured there were lots of 'natural' remedies that don't work.

stop the world I want to get off.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #4341
Pineapple_Juice

my hisory teacher in high school always cracked jokes about cats because i love them . he said 'how do you make a cat say woof? you pour gasoline on it and take a match to it-WOOF. there goes the cat'.
i didn;t think it was funny either.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #4342
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
My ex that I love forever says he wants to marry me. I hate when people screw with my brain. I think the smartest option is to say no.........
BUT WILL I?!
Ouchie. But then, with his behavior up til now, will you make it to the alter? What would married life be like?

But thinking about my ex that i love forever, if he said he wanted to marry I'd be sorely tempted to do the stupid thing too.

My second whine today: So, I had a night class. It started raining walking over, and I was soaked by the time i got to the building. No problem, just went into the bathroom and dried off. I'm stubborn about taking the bus because I fucking hate the bus and I wanna keep my change for laundry, so I walked home again, thinking "well, I'm still kinda wet, might as well."

It wasn't bad, but I got to a stretch where there was a HUUUUGE puddle on the side of the road, like a twenty foot stretch and it was pretty wide and deep as far as puddles go. So this asshole in a car decides its funny to speed up and splash me, and I got soaked to the bone. And the splash went right over my head, this is how bad it was. So that pissed me off, and then the asshole BEHIND him decides that was funny and he does the same thing! If not for the shock of being splashed with cold water I might have thrown a few things. People are assholes.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #4343
Ben Lahnger

This is not a whine but an update. Flea shampoo applied this morning. Just got done airing the apartment out after fogging it (added bonus: the fogger also kills ants and cockroaches, which have been coming in lately.)

Dog is able to lay down and actually rest. When I apply the first dose of Advantage drops to him tomorrow, he'll be "immunized" against reinfection, so I'm feeling better now.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #4344
Saya

Oh, dude, I was halfway through getting my plague doctor costume done!

THIS DAY SUCKS.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #4345
carakitty

Hey Ben- what kind of dog do you have?

I have no rants to add today. In fact, this day has all around rocked my socks off
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #4346
Fruitbat

PJ he's your ex for a reason. People don't change with marriage, they only think they have a licence to treat you worse

Saya *hugs* that happened to me once on the way to work. Hey keep working on the costume.. I'd like to see it

Ben fingers crossed for you.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #4347
Ben Lahnger

Saya, why stop? I think that would be a rad costume for this coming Halloween!

carakitty, he's a white and sable colored Papillon, and he will be 3 years old in October. He looks somewhat similar to THIS.

Fruitbat, thanks. I applied the Advantage this morning and that's supposed to be effective in 12 hours. So far, so good.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4348
Saya

A friend of mine is already going as a plague doctor! They scare the bejesus out of me, I'll save it for another year. Still wanna do Wonder Woman but do it budget reasons I might make a Star Trek uniform instead >.>

And Papillons are adorable! Poor little fella, hope thats the last time he ever gets fleas.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #4349
Geoluhread

I've been having some issues with my stomach and bowel, terrible headache and i'm easily pissed off.. I also have epic skin problems :@
Seems that my face isn't pleased with anything and my doctor says all the other symptoms are of anemia, i've been taking the pills but it just isn't working :@

Haven't seen a dermatologist yet.
GRRRRR I hate having problems :@
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #4350
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
BUT WILL I?!
For the love of fuck don't do it. It'll end in expensive divorce proceedings and you wishing you could have that part of your life back.