Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #126
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL

-> hip and tush goth. I got enough room for a couple dozen babies and a tush that can make J-lo cry. Not just chunky for no reason ... well actually ... that's because caramel comes in chunks and its a joke ... Feel nothing about going up in sizes for that perfect fit! The world does not cater clothing for our amplely shaped kind, so we are not governed by its rules of sizing. 5, 10, whatever, as long as it fits. (I'm a 5 dash 10, as in I usually fit a 5 but sometimes I have to go as high as 10 to find that perfect fit). Onix, you're a 9 dash 11 based on what you've said in your post (pretty obvious :P*). Hope that deters feeling of fatness ...
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #127
DreamsInBlack

*cracks her knuckles and smirks* Being Goth in the town I live in gets you looks from everyone but the small population of other Goths here. But as many have stated before me, Goth is not merely about dress and make up, it's making a statement to the world we live in.
You think being Goth gets you unwanted attention? Try being a Goth in a wheelchair, it blows people away. I must admit however, that I get a certain level of satisfaction when I go down the street in my powerchair decked out in full Goth mode. There's something about the baffled stare of the "normal" population that just warms my bones.

There, that's my two cents, I'm through.

P.S. I don't mean to diss Humboldt county...Well, maybe I do... :twisted:

~DreamsInBlack
DreamsInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #128
OnixxFilth

I can imagine the attention a goth in a wheelchair would get. It just makes you all that much more unique! I can definitely agree with the feeling of satisfaction from freaking "normal" people out. Today I went downtown and got a cool bonnet-type hat from the 40's with a black veil that goes over your face- what a lucky find! I think I'll wear it to school tomorrow to see what kind of reactions I get from my classmates! :twisted:
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #129
MrMaelstrom

Now imagine a goth in a wheelchair with a sub-automatic assault weapon and see what kind of reaction you get.

What am I saying?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #130
Deadhymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
I can imagine the attentiona goth in a wheelchair would get. It just makes you all that much more unique! I can definitely agree with the feeling of satisfaction from freaking "normal" people out. Today I went downtown and got a cool bonnet-type hat from the 40's with a black veil that goes over your face- what a lucky find! I think I'll wear it to school tomorrow to see what kind of reactions I get from my classmates! :twisted:

Thats the only reason you try so hard to be 'goth' isnt it? Attention and Reactions. I cant wait to hear your outcry of denial...
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:38 PM   #131
winged_dreams

Clothing doesn't scare, shock, or surprise me. It's just clothing. I would only be scared if clothing items started moving around on their own and tried to strangle me. ^_^

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 PM   #132
Solumina

deadhymn why do you have such a problem with onixx?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:46 PM   #133
Patricia

One of the most interesting comments made on this thread was something to the effect of, "It's not about the clothing and the music and the hair, but it is . . ."

I applaud that response.

Being goth is not a diagnosis, and therefore there is no test in the world that can tell you whether or not you belong in particular subculture. I'd like to think that most of us are individuals, in that we can admit that our tastes run through several different "cliques." Even within the goth subculture itself there are various cliques - dozens of styles that embrace distinct music and affiliations.

That said, I find goths who natter on about being goth "on the inside" just ridiculous. The way you present yourself is your calling card, and if you can't get out every now and again and connect with the people you love so much, then what's the point? Being a lone goth only works for so long. While some people may be perfectly content to be Gother Than Thou at home with the cats, there's definately something to be said for the social scene. And if you know nothing about the music, care nothing about the clothes, and can't be bothered with hair and cosmetics, then you're going to be miffed by the "snottiness" of the goths around you.

I live in New Orleans, which is a very touristy city. A lot of the places we congregate are in the French Quarter, and there's a bad tendancy for drunken frat boys to go freak hunting in this town - by that I mean they attempt to score someone on the scene to have for the night and brag about later. In a roundabout way, dressing like a dominatrix prostute from the ninth ring of hell is a protective measure - it signals "hello" to the other goths and lets them know that you are someone on the scene who can be trusted. (Just personal observation - wow, do the most slutty goth outfits ever show up on Bourbon Street - two scraps of cloth and some net - I LOVE this city.)

In addition, if someone hates goth music, isn't interested in dressing in gothic clothing, and knows nothing about the scene, what on earth are we supposed to talk about during our initial conversation? You may be fascinating, but if we can't laugh at one another's jokes and you want to discuss Linkin Park, I'm afraid that I won't have a lot to say.

In conclusion, the laughter is the key. Being goth is actually all about confidence. All of the goths I know who have passed the five year mark have wicked senses of humor. (The five year mark forms the dividing line between the Conceptual Goth and the Committed Goth.) I believe that it's because we know we're silly, we know our scene is overplayed, we know people are scared of us for no good reason (fighting wrecks clothing, smears makeup, and chips fingernails, so kicking someone's ass is just completely out of the question), and we know that trying to look like a corpse is a waste of good cosmetic talent (because you will look like a corpse for far longer than you will look like a non corpse.)

Two cents and then some,
Patricia
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #134
Solumina

I think I'm really going to like you
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:16 PM   #135
MrMaelstrom

Me too.

And I'll like her even better after she follows the rules and introduces herself in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE thread. It really is a question of being polite.

Anything other than that is interrupting other people's conversations.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #136
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
One of the most interesting comments made on this thread was something to the effect of, "It's not about the clothing and the music and the hair, but it is . . ."

I applaud that response.

Being goth is not a diagnosis, and therefore there is no test in the world that can tell you whether or not you belong in particular subculture. I'd like to think that most of us are individuals, in that we can admit that our tastes run through several different "cliques." Even within the goth subculture itself there are various cliques - dozens of styles that embrace distinct music and affiliations.

That said, I find goths who natter on about being goth "on the inside" just ridiculous. The way you present yourself is your calling card, and if you can't get out every now and again and connect with the people you love so much, then what's the point? Being a lone goth only works for so long. While some people may be perfectly content to be Gother Than Thou at home with the cats, there's definately something to be said for the social scene. And if you know nothing about the music, care nothing about the clothes, and can't be bothered with hair and cosmetics, then you're going to be miffed by the "snottiness" of the goths around you.

I live in New Orleans, which is a very touristy city. A lot of the places we congregate are in the French Quarter, and there's a bad tendancy for drunken frat boys to go freak hunting in this town - by that I mean they attempt to score someone on the scene to have for the night and brag about later. In a roundabout way, dressing like a dominatrix prostute from the ninth ring of hell is a protective measure - it signals "hello" to the other goths and lets them know that you are someone on the scene who can be trusted. (Just personal observation - wow, do the most slutty goth outfits ever show up on Bourbon Street - two scraps of cloth and some net - I LOVE this city.)

In addition, if someone hates goth music, isn't interested in dressing in gothic clothing, and knows nothing about the scene, what on earth are we supposed to talk about during our initial conversation? You may be fascinating, but if we can't laugh at one another's jokes and you want to discuss Linkin Park, I'm afraid that I won't have a lot to say.

In conclusion, the laughter is the key. Being goth is actually all about confidence. All of the goths I know who have passed the five year mark have wicked senses of humor. (The five year mark forms the dividing line between the Conceptual Goth and the Committed Goth.) I believe that it's because we know we're silly, we know our scene is overplayed, we know people are scared of us for no good reason (fighting wrecks clothing, smears makeup, and chips fingernails, so kicking someone's ass is just completely out of the question), and we know that trying to look like a corpse is a waste of good cosmetic talent (because you will look like a corpse for far longer than you will look like a non corpse.)

Two cents and then some,
Patricia
I must agree with what you're saying. You bring up valid points but I suppose you must introduce yourself before posting again. I do appreciate your outlook on it.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #137
OnixxFilth

I love you already Patricia! Being one of the most hated goths on here (well, at least by two particular people- you know who you are), it's nice to meet a friendly person! I dislike it when some people accuse me of being a poseur just because I like to scare people. C'mon, a real goth can't have any fun dressing up in creepy clothes? Next someone'll be claiming that we all ought to dress totally unlike ourselves in order to prove ourselves gothic! Apparently the more un-goth one dresses, the more gothic one is. Or something like that. It's not my opinion, it's just what I seem to be sensing from some people.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #138
winged_dreams

I like you Onixx. You're nice enough and you haven't done anything wrong to me. And you type in full sentences which is really nice. I must admit that scaring people may be fun or even just getting their attention. I usually don't wear clothes that would capture people's attention but they still sometimes stare at me. I guess acting a bit hyper is weird to some people but it's fun being immature sometimes.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:44 PM   #139
DreamsInBlack

Whoo! I like this Patricia girl, rock on Chica.
DreamsInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #140
edible_eye

winged -

they stare at you cuz you're hot. it can't be helped.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:16 AM   #141
drgnlvr

Re: gothic look

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansevilfollower
ok here it is today you have so many saying that anyone who wears black all the time is a goth. NOT true. many people like the color black and you have rapers that wear black so i guess people would say there goth to :?: im satanic witch is almost the same as a gothic and i wear all black all the time and people thing im goth i'v been thrown out of stores because of my black close. and like i tell everyone u cant tell if someone is goth or not its hard to tell now days. i think if u truely want to be gothic then go ahead its your own life dont let people tell u differant.
"Satanic Witch"? :roll:

It's rapists, not rapers, and they don't all wear black. In fact they look just like most people...how do you think they get their victims? :roll:

In the sentece: "people would say there goth to" It's they're, and too. :roll:

It's -clothes- and are you sure you got tossed out because of the clothes? or because you're a "Satanic Witch"? :roll:

And finally, this is not AOHell, please spell the word -you-.

Thank you.

Carry on.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:23 AM   #142
drgnlvr

Now that I'm done being snarky, DreamsinBlack, and Patricia, welcome!

It's nice to see more intelligent posters joining us.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:23 AM   #143
edible_eye

heh

heh heh

ah-hahahahahahahahahahahaha

- sniff -

ok. carry on.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #144
OnixxFilth

Yes, I have already been jumped on by Xnguela when I first started on here for using "u" for "you". So beware the wrath of Xnguela and use complete sentences! Muahahaha! :twisted: And a "satanic witch" is not nearly the same as a goth- goths are not necessarily Satanists! I don't wish to be painted with the Satanic brush just because I'm goth, so please don't ever claim that they're the same again! :shock: :twisted:
Old 04-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #145
SuicideJade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
Yes, I have already been jumped on by Xnguela when I first started on here for using "u" for "you". So beware the wrath of Xnguela and use complete sentences! Muahahaha! :twisted: And a "satanic witch" is not nearly the same as a goth- goths are not necessarily Satanists! I don't wish to be painted with the Satanic brush just because I'm goth, so please don't ever claim that they're the same again! :shock: :twisted:
i thought it was impossible to be a satanic withc.. considering most withches don't believe in satan... O_O
Old 04-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #146
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideJade

i thought it was impossible to be a satanic withc.. considering most withches don't believe in satan... O_O
It is. Both religions are mutually exclusive. Satanists (the LeVeyan kind) don't believe in Satan, either. They don't believe in any diety. Thier rituals are mocking Christianity (and other religions, IIRC).

They're sorta like Athiests in combat boots.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #147
Patricia

Well . . .

I've known Witches who would have been aghast to be called Wiccan, because they don't practice anything remotely like white magic.

I know some people who practice Voudon and call themselves Witches.

I know some non-LaVeyan (religious as opposed to philisophical) Satanists who call themselves Witches.

I think "Witch" is like "Goth" - open to interpretation.

Nothing is impossible. It all depends on one's point of view.

Patricia
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #148
MrMaelstrom

Maybe she's a friend of that german guy: Alzheimer.

just kidding here...
Old 04-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #149
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
winged -

they stare at you cuz you're hot. it can't be helped.
e_e you're so sweet. That certainly gave me a nice ego boost!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:40 AM   #150
OnixxFilth

Hehe. Once Xnguela posts my pic, will you give me feedback, edible_eye? :wink: