Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
L'Oiseau Noir

The Legend of Zelda Series

I was curious if there are any other Zelda fans on the forums. I was just playing Twilight Princess, and decided to make this thread. So, does anybody besides me enjoy this wonderful series?

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Cyntrox

I played Ocarina of Time and loved it.

I never finished Majora's Mask, and haven't tried Twilight Princess.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
NachtSorcier

I love what I call the main games - The original "Legend of Zelda" along with "Link to the Past," "Link's Awakening," "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask". I haven't played "Twilight Princess" yet, nor do I even have a Wii, but I like what I've seen. OoT has been my favorite since 1998. "Majora's Mask" was hard, but with the help of a player's guide, I finished it with all of the masks.

What I don't consider to be the "main" games are the silly little ones like "Minish Cap" and "Oracle of Seasons". I didn't like "Wind Waker," either.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
I love what I call the main games - The original "Legend of Zelda" along with "Link to the Past," "Link's Awakening," "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask". I haven't played "Twilight Princess" yet, nor do I even have a Wii, but I like what I've seen. OoT has been my favorite since 1998. "Majora's Mask" was hard, but with the help of a player's guide, I finished it with all of the masks.

What I don't consider to be the "main" games are the silly little ones like "Minish Cap" and "Oracle of Seasons". I didn't like "Wind Waker," either.
Yeah, most of the lesser titles I don't really consider legit parts of the series; they're more like an alternate universe Link gets stuck in. Like a "what if this happened" type scenario.

Oh my, and to the both of you, Twilight Princess is even better than Ocarina of Time (believe it or not) and it has sixty hours+ of gameplay. So it's definitely worth checking out, and the graphics are delicious... they're very animeish. Plus, they have it available on not only the Wii, but also the Gamecube, as it was the last Gamecube release before the system got "tucked away" by Nintendo.

Windwaker I actually liked, in spite of the whole "Oh my God, Link's a cartoon" reaction everybody had towards it. I loved the quirky humor and characters, and sailing was great fun in my opinion. I think it would have been more engrossing however, if it was made with the same graphics style Twilight Princess was.

Majora's Mask I also liked. I managed to get the masks without the help of a game guide, but the whole three days thing was a bit of a pain. However, it didn't detract too much from all the fun little minigames it had, or the storyline. Also, the ability to turn into a Deku, Goron, and Zora was priceless.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Clockwork

Yes, I love the Zelda series. I've only played Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but I admire the series as a whole. ... Well, when it stays true to itself.

I think Wind Waker should never have been a Zelda game, but something entirely of its own :/ It's a good game, but the forcing it to be Zelda brought both the game and the series down, in my opinion. Nintendo needs to learn to stop hiding behind its franchises.

I got Twilight Princess for the cube because a Wii is fucking impossible to get a hold of... it's good, coming close I'd say to OoT. It'd probably be better, except it can't beat all the memories and nastalgia I think ^^
Old 10-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Beneath the Shadows

I just started playing A Link to the Past again. It's about a close to a perfect game as possible.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Yes, I love the Zelda series. I've only played Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but I admire the series as a whole. ... Well, when it stays true to itself.

I think Wind Waker should never have been a Zelda game, but something entirely of its own :/ It's a good game, but the forcing it to be Zelda brought both the game and the series down, in my opinion. Nintendo needs to learn to stop hiding behind its franchises.

I got Twilight Princess for the cube because a Wii is fucking impossible to get a hold of... it's good, coming close I'd say to OoT. It'd probably be better, except it can't beat all the memories and nastalgia I think ^^
Yeah, Wiis around here are basically non-existent as well. Once I start working though, I'm definitely going to pick one up, so I can keep up to date with the Zelda series and the future games for it that'll be released.

And I know what you mean, the nostalgia of OOT is unbeatable. Sitting in your living room (if you're my age) at the tender age of eight, kicked back on your sofa while your little thumbs twiddle the joystick and dab at the C-pad, while Impa whistles a tune to you. Ahhh, I'll never forget those days; I have the Collector's Disk, so I have both the original Zelda games, Majora's Mask, and Ocarina of Time all on one disk. Plus, I loved how lovey-dovey Zelda and Link were in OOT... especially at the end when Zelda and he held hands. It melted my heart. <3

I'm sorry, I'm such a Zelink shipper... I've been waiting since I'd played the original when I was four to see Link and her finally share a kiss! Grrr! Ah well, maybe in the future.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
I just started playing A Link to the Past again. It's about a close to a perfect game as possible.

Link to the Past was so good. I loved playing that when I was around six-years-old, and I was pretty damn good, too, for a little kid!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
MaverickZero

I love the Zelda series. I've even got a Hylian Family Emblem tattoo

My favorites would have to be A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Very entertaining, and epic games.
MaverickZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
CptSternn

When Resident Evil came out, they made a deal to not be released on any system accept Nintendo. Now, they have opened up to design for all formats (since gamecube fecked off). I'm hoping one day we will see more epic Zelda games, like the original ones (not that DS shite) and be able to play them on many platforms (including XBox360 and/or PC).

THAT would kick much arse.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
NachtSorcier

The only reason I want to get "Twilight Princess" on Wii is because there's really only one Wii game I want ("Smash Bros. Brawl") and I don't want a system with just one game for it.

Aside from long-going series that I wish to continue, namely Zelda, Smash Bros. and Pokemon, I really have no interest in video games anymore.

The only canon game besides "Windwaker" I don't like is "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link". Sidescrolling should never exist in a Zelda game.

I have the original "Legend of Zelda" for the NES. I haven't even gotten all the way through it, but I know how it ends.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
When Resident Evil came out, they made a deal to not be released on any system accept Nintendo. Now, they have opened up to design for all formats (since gamecube fecked off). I'm hoping one day we will see more epic Zelda games, like the original ones (not that DS shite) and be able to play them on many platforms (including XBox360 and/or PC).

THAT would kick much arse.
You are mistaken. First off, when Resident Evil came out, the GameCube was still years away. Secondly, it was initially planned to be a PlayStation exclusive, but its extreme popularity changed their minds, and it got ported to other systems... except the N64. In fact, Nintendo didn't get anything Resident Evil until RE2 was ported to the N64, which was released just days before RE3 was released for the PS. Looking at their release dates will confirm this.

I think what you're thinking of is the decision to keep anything Resident Evil after that on Nintendo, but again, the extreme popularity of RE4 changed their minds.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
The only reason I want to get "Twilight Princess" on Wii is because there's really only one Wii game I want ("Smash Bros. Brawl") and I don't want a system with just one game for it.

Aside from long-going series that I wish to continue, namely Zelda, Smash Bros. and Pokemon, I really have no interest in video games anymore.

The only canon game besides "Windwaker" I don't like is "Zelda II: The Adventure of Link". Sidescrolling should never exist in a Zelda game.

I have the original "Legend of Zelda" for the NES. I haven't even gotten all the way through it, but I know how it ends.
Yeah, there are very few games I've seen for the Wii that I'm even remotely interested in. Though I might just get one for a particular few. (And because I can also get their GC predecessors.)

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
MaguMan

I don't know... something about the game going from 2-D to 3-D didn't sit right with me. Personally, the whole feel of the series was lost in the newer game systems, sort of like with Mega-Man.

I still absolutely love the original, "Legend of Zelda," and, "Link to the Past," along with the Game-Boy release (the name escapes me at the moment). Gotta give props to some bomb-ass soundtracks from those games.
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
Beneath the Shadows

They could've gone to 3-D and still kept the looking-down format. Just look at games like Diablo and Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance. But the big question is, would a Zelda game have done well in such a format?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
They could've gone to 3-D and still kept the looking-down format. Just look at games like Diablo and Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance. But the big question is, would a Zelda game have done well in such a format?

Personally I think if they tried that camera angle, the series would belly-flop. It wouldn't be as immersing as it is from a 3rd-person perspective. But that's just my humble opinion.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
Methadrine

Quote:
Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass for the Nintendo DS is exactly that.. 3D but with a "look-down" camera. It's the official sequel to Wind Waker and have the same silly graphics (which I personally love) and crazy characters. Get it. Get it now. You know you want to...

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass for the Nintendo DS is exactly that.. 3D but with a "look-down" camera. It's the official sequel to Wind Waker and have the same silly graphics (which I personally love) and crazy characters. Get it. Get it now. You know you want to...

I plan to get my hands on a copy, as soon as I manage to procure a DS. But first I intend to buy a PSP specifically for Silent Hill: Origins.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
You're right. I do want to. As soon as I have the money.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 10-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #20
biohazard

I believe Zelda games to be some of the best games ever created, and it is one of Nintendo´s best game series. I have played OoT, WindWaker, and Twilight Princess, although I believe TP is the best one of the bunch.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #21
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard
I believe Zelda games to be some of the best games ever created, and it is one of Nintendo´s best game series. I have played OoT, WindWaker, and Twilight Princess, although I believe TP is the best one of the bunch.

Couldn't agree with you more. Twilight Princess was good, right on par with Ocarina of Time.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
Methadrine

TP has me puzzled... when I got WW I played it like a madman until I completed it, and then I completed it again straight after (you get some different things when you play with the same savegame again afterwards) but with TP.. I don't know.. I haven't even completed it yet and I've owned it for months. It doesn't captivate me as the other Zeldas has, the story is rather boring and the switches to the dark world is pretty boring overall.

Oddly enough I've almost completed the new DS game too so maybe it's the non-cartoonish look of TP (plus the worldswitches) that puts me off. Anyway, it's weird.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #23
MaverickZero

TP is a TOUGH game, it's not hard per se... it's just hard to figure out
MaverickZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #24
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZero
TP is a TOUGH game, it's not hard per se... it's just hard to figure out

Really? I found it easy. xD

Maybe because I'm a major Zelda nerd....

Old 10-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #25
Clockwork

It really wasn't challenging at all, as far as bosses and enemies went. And I think I only got stuck in one room in the forest temple, where you had to burn a spider web on the ground by swinging the lantern in FRONT of you...

I think it'd be interesting if future Zelda games gave more of an emphasis to combat and combat systems. Just mashing the B button doesn't really do it for me :/