Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: ...
.. 0 0%
... 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #1926
Tall One In Black

I grew up in a black and white town. There were blacks and there were whites... and the racial divide between the two was a mammoth gaping chasm. Stereotypical old-school southern prejudice at its most obvious.

I knew a dozen derogatory names for blacks. But I had never heard the term "wetback" or "kike" or "spic." I knew one girl whose parents were Korean and I knew one Jewish family. That was the extent of my exposure to "other cultures."

Now I live in Washington, D.C. There are people of every shade from alabaster to ebony. I see people in turbans, veils, and saris along with designer suits. I get on the train and hear Spanish, German, and assorted unidentifiable languages while watching a guy reading Chinese. And I absolutely LOVE it.

Here's what I wish I could convey to my parents and all the other southern whites:
I know you think that black people are completely different than whites. But you wait until you encounter a Japanese man who bows at you, eats raw fish and sleeps on a straw mat... or a Sikh man who wears a turban to cover the hair that he never cuts and speaks a language you can't make heads or tails of... then you'll realize that black people are not so different after all.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #1927
DrenchedInGin

Tall One, if the whole world was populated with people like you, the world would be a much better place. And better dressed.

I too grew up in a very multicultural place. People came to this tiny town from all over the world to work on a great engineering scheme, including my parents. Until I was three years old I thought everybody in Australia had come across in a boat (myself included. I remember being very pleased to discover I was born there).

Intolerance makes me spew.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #1928
Circle V

It seems to me that most hatred and prejudice is directed toward things and people that are different-- but not very-- from what we are or are familiar with. Some things are so alien to us that we can do little more than gape. Familiarity breeds contempt, and we are incapable of hating what we don't understand until we've had a chance to process it a little.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #1929
DrenchedInGin

Indeed. Which means those people who value differences (even if surrounded by hatred) are treasures. Some people seem to have the gift of accepting differences, large and small, rather than fearing them. Which is partly why I came searching for this place...

Since this is a rant thread, you know what really, really makes me boke?

Ignorant people who say 'oh, the PUREBRED [insert cultural group - usually indigenous - here] are okay, it's just the other ones who don't live traditionally/have the temerity to choose to live in cities/wish to be employed/wish to have the same rights as everybody else etc.'

I seem to hear that all the time, and every time I hear it I have to physically stop myself from flinging something at their stupid heads. Can people actually hear themselves when they say things like that? Where does this misplaced drivel come from? Can it be true, that allegedly educated people can catually think like this without their brains imploding?

(Pant, pant... must... calm down. Head... exploding...)
Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #1930
DrenchedInGin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Purebreeds suck- Mutts of the world unite!!!! Breed them out!!!!

Just kidding folks.
Hahahahaha! I walked into that one, didn't I? Thank you, I feel better now.

Good on you for arguing your point and doing it well, by the way.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #1931
PhilSmith

Jeffrey Rowland has already ranted about this, but he's not the only one to be annoyed at a cellular level with this practice.

No, another group deserving of my visceral hatred (ooh, don't I talk clever!) are people who say they have 'alot' of problems, or they have 'alot' to do, or have collected 'alot' of CDs.

It's 'a lot'. A lot. On account of the amount being, well, a lot.

A lot, people. It's not hard.

Cockbadgers.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #1932
WolfMoon

Hey Tall One!

You haven't lived til you've had a chorus of Japanese men call your name.

And Phil, sorry I know I do that alot.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #1933
Tall One In Black

Phil:

This is one of the few places online where you'll find people who rant about bad grammar. It's great! People here value proper spelling; it's one of the reasons I continue to read and post here. Many boards are filled with horrible spelling and netspeak, triggering my gag reflex.

I agree that "alot" is painful. It's on the Top Ten list with "your/you're" and "it's/its." And don't even get me started on "u" and "taz."
Old 02-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #1934
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
Phil:

This is one of the few places online where you'll find people who rant about bad grammar. It's great! People here value proper spelling; it's one of the reasons I continue to read and post here. Many boards are filled with horrible spelling and netspeak, triggering my gag reflex.

I agree that "alot" is painful. It's on the Top Ten list with "your/you're" and "it's/its." And don't even get me started on "u" and "taz."
Or to/too/two, GAH!!!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #1935
Demonista_Ravenesque

Spaceballs Rock!

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Old 02-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #1936
PhilSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
Phil:

All right, provided you resolve not to get me started on 'their', "they're" and 'there'.

Too late. I've started myself now.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:00 AM   #1937
FenrisQueen

It's almost four in the morning, and I can't go to sleep. Don't worry, I'm not ranting about that. I've been having some troubles with friends lately, ya know, backstabbing, gossiping, the usual. Three of my good friends are currently homeless. I'm at my friends house, THEY are at my apartment. I like these guys, they're my friends... but teenagers? And completely without supervision, because my mom is out of town. It was stupid of me to even let them go there without me, but they don't have anywhere else to go. So I'm getting picked up in like two hours so I won't have to worry about them messing up my freaking place.
I'm also really sick of school. And I'm definitely getting suspended next week, because I skipped fourth period with my friend Scott, who has only three classes. He's been begging me to hang with him, so we went to Smoker Friendly, Wal-mart, Lonestar, and New World Coffeehouse. Then we drive around for a little bit. Then, I'm supposed to hang with some friends, not the ones I'm with, but others, but they kept changing the plans. So I said fuck it and came over to my friend Dave's place. But now I'm anxious because people are at my house when I'm not there.

I've said it before, I'll probably say it again. I want new friends.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #1938
WolfMoon

So get some new friends, girl!

It shouldn't be hard for you to find a few good people to hang with.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #1939
Tall One In Black

taz = that's
Old 02-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #1940
Mr E Nigma

Such a great feeling, yet I'm deprived of it so often.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #1941
Catch

I am Sick! of people always saying that it's all because of their friends. Good friends are hard to find and sometimes rolling with the good and bad is all part of life.

I've had some friends that maybe took a little too much time and put me in position I'd rather not be in. Really it's more than that it's finding your own personal path, because half the time it was 4 in the morning and I new I had a test the next day, it was really me. I wanted to stay up all night, because I was freaked out about the test and didn't want to go home.

That's right. I could sit around whining about everything, but it was my choice.

It seems to me like more people have to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming every body else for there problems. Might actually firgure out what is really bothering them and start living like how they want to.

You now, I moved away from my home town SLC. Now I don't have any friend, just good memories. It's given me a lot of time to reflect, but one day, and this has been since I moved, I'm going to go back and do more than kill time. Actually, go back and offer the support my friends need to get on their feet.

I'm tired of all the stigma, "burn out" and what not. I spend almost every waking hour trying to put the pieces together so I can firgure out how to get myself out of the gutter and then help them get out of the gutter.

So really all this sob crap is old. I've had so many experiences, and done things no one would believe if I told them. Why? Because of my friends. Not just the shiny cool one that work in cool places and know cool people but the ones that were just there for me when no one else was.

So anyone want to whine to me about friends you can stick it!

(However, I would like to reserve the right to whine about some crap that happened years and years ago that still bothers me, like this chick that I barely knew walking around saying that we were best friends, and then had the idiotcy to walk around saying I owe her because SHE TOLD A BUNCH OF SKINHEADS AGAINST RACIAL PREJUDICE THAT I WAS A WHITE SUPREMIST. She was under the impression that they were white supremisist shinheads. Well, Wrong again! Thanx for making my life a little more hellish. Plus, I'm bi-racial and jewish, so ya, everybody loves Me! B*tch!)
Old 02-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #1942
Wise Child

Shit. I'm really sorry to hear that, darkangel. I hope you have nice people with chocolate people around you at such a horrible time.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Old 02-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #1943
Wise Child

*gives virtual chocolate*

Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #1944
Wise Child

*squeaks* Leave the legs, wouldja? I kinda like 'em...

Seriously, that sucks. COPIOUS amounts of dick. I'm sure you're in everybody's thoughts, and just remember, there's more virtual chocolate where that came from...

Old 02-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #1945
Wise Child

Unexpected is the worst. But if it's any comfort, that can be a good (as these things can be) thing - my uncle also died of cancer, quite suddenly, and while everyone felt cheated out of time back then, now my cousins are desperately glad he didn't suffer for too long. I truly hope it will be a comfort to you one day. *big bone breaking bear hug*

Old 02-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #1946
Wise Child

Jesus. That's harsh. Well, it's way beyond harsh, but I just don't have the words. That happens with terrifying frequency in this country - our healthcare system is shite - but it's something people will never, nor should ever, be able to accept. I'm even sorrier to hear that. At least he'll be at peace soon, and you guys can begin to pick up the pieces. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #1947
Empty_Purple_Stars

I'm sorry for your pain Sweetie. We're here for you, if ya need it.

There are no easy words. My prayers are with you all.

*Squeezy Hugs*
Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #1948
PhilSmith

Oh, here's another rant-worthy topic. Flouncing.

To take Poppy Z. Brite's blog post for a definition:

Quote:
In Internet jargon, there is a phenomenon known as "flouncing." The flouncer is never content to simply leave a message board or discussion forum he finds disagreeable; he must conspicuously announce that he is leaving, detail the inadequacies of the other posters, bemoan the cruel treatment he has received, and, likely as not, sneak back to check the reactions to his flounce.
I could write a lengthy, articulate rant on the subject, but I get the impression I'd overdose on my own bile and vitriol... and would probably end up flouncing off. I think, on the whole, the definition speaks for itself.

Actually, it doesn't exactly enrage me. It just mildly irritates me, just enough to make me split an infinitive in this sentence. My next rant will be on the subject of splitting infinitives, 'cause I hate, loathe and despise people who do that with all my soul...

I think it's time for my medicine, nurse...
Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #1949
Tall One In Black

Flouncing. So there's a word for that! Good to know.

Of course, there's a word for EVERYTHING internet-related now. As soon as three people do something online, a new word is created for it. My latest favorite is "podfading."
Old 02-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #1950
PhilSmith

One of these days there'll be a neologism without the word 'pod' in it...
Closed Thread