Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
acrossthedam

Thoughts on Supreme Court ruling

This last week it was decided by the Supreme Court that Rap*** a child was not an offence that warrantees the death penalty. While many states vow to find ways around the jurisdiction it is now in effect. What are your thoughts or even social concerns in regarding this ruling and how will it change, or will it no change, the amount of child Ra** in the future?
acrossthedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
acrossthedam

sorryy

I posted a message that was already put up, I looked but couldn't find it
so I'm delteling this one this way
acrossthedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Destituxe

If my kid was ......
I'd kill them myself ......
Destituxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

I don't think the death penalty is ever appropriate.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
MitsyMayhem

I was just about to say that.
Ophelia beat me too it.

Think about it.
Firstly, mistakes can be made. What are you going to say when you find out that you made a mistake "Oops, I killed an innocent man, aw well."
No. No. No. No. No.
And what about what that innocent person has to go through?
Sitting there in that chair thinking the whole time that they are about to die for something they didn't do.
Put yourself in that situation. One in which you committed a crime and one in which you didn't. Not to nice is it?

And then I also don't understand what's so 'punishing' about it.
After you're dead, you're dead.

MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
onedarkly1

Can't speak for anyone else, but if some one ever Ra*** my daughter, before their time on this globe was finished, they would scream so loud the devil would cover his ears.

"I died a long time ago."
onedarkly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedarkly1
Can't speak for anyone else, but if some one ever Ra*** my daughter, before their time on this globe was finished, they would scream so loud the devil would cover his ears.

But the thing is, would you want the rapist to spend years quietly on death row, then have a painless death by injection, or spend the rest of his life in a prison, where rapists, particularly child molesters are roughed up by other inmates?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
onedarkly1

No...I would want him dead. Period.

What others might do is irrelevant to me in this specic instance. Child molesters often get out after serving a fraction of their sentences, and studies show a high likely hood he would simply offend again. If the offender was a male any way, if the offender was a female, I don't know, because I haven't seen any data on their rate of recidivism.

__________________________________________________ ______

Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Deadmanwalking_05

If I caught someone doing that to any kid,let alone any offspring I may father in the near future...
The bastard would die slowly. *Pats Ka-Bar* Know what I'm saying.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Saya

Then you would get to go to jail in their place.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4184611.stm

Now, there was a case in the US where a man killed the rapist of his son,who was arrested and tried and found innocent due to mental distress...but for vigilante justice you will get arrested and tried.

And not to mention once on death row an appeal is automatically made in their defense, it can take ten, fifteen years before they are executed, if they aren't commuted to a lesser sentence, or don't die of natural cause (which according to wikipedia happens nearly 1/4 of the time).
Old 09-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
In the old western days of cowboys you could just hang 'em.
Problem solved.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Saya

Yeah, but also back then they didn't have forensics or much investigating either >.> There have been lots of cases where a person is put on Death Row and evidence comes to light that they didn't do it.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._dnadeath.html
Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
$haDe

Supreme court like the one with Supreme Chancellor Palpatine ?

Oi...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
a morbid curiosity

The death penalty does not work as a deterrent. Nothing will change.

In fact, there are very few arguments to support the death penalty. The whole ridiculous "eye for an eye" argument doesn't work because of its contradiction in the New Testament (though it was weak to begin with), it is inhumane, and innocent lives are wasted on death row.... yes, I'm saying what's been said before...
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
But the thing is, would you want the rapist to spend years quietly on death row, then have a painless death by injection, or spend the rest of his life in a prison, where rapists, particularly child molesters are roughed up by other inmates?
Very true. In prisons, most people have families out there. Child molesters get hurt far worse than any of you could hurt them in prisons.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
onedarkly1

Saya-Yes. You bring this hypothetical to the proper conclusion.

If some RA*** my daughter and I harmed them, then barring any jury nullification of the law, I would probably end up in jail, although not necesarily on death row, one can always turn themselves in and own up to their actions.

As the old saying goes, don't do the crime if you cannot do the time.

We live in a society where there are every few boundaries or lines that are not crossed.

For myself and myself alone, I simply believe there are some lines one does not cross.

Ra**** Children is one. Period. No exception (in my opinion). In doing so, to me, the offender has stated to the world by his actions that they do not want to be here. And while they themselves may have been abused, and are acting out, I can't have sympathy for them once they have passed on such a terrible and tramatic experiance to another innocent.

Simply my opinion others need not agree.

" I died a long time ago."
Old 09-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
Saya

I have no sympathy for such people either, but I firmly believe that death is not a punishment, and it is not for one human being to take the life of another. And also, like I said before, it has happened that people are put on death row, and then dna evidence comes to light that they did not do it. And there was that case in the day cares where children would say they were *****, but it turned out that by hypnotizing these children these memories were implanted in their heads. Unless caught in the act you cannot know for sure.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #18
CptSternn

Ok we already have an identical thread on this, so I won't waste my breath rehashing all the arguments from that thread, so read them here.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=11243
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
If I caught someone doing that to any kid,let alone any offspring I may father in the near future...
The bastard would die slowly. *Pats Ka-Bar* Know what I'm saying.
Dude, you're so cool. You don't come off like you're compensating by talking about how you have a big knife or anything.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote