Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #26
Haunted House

Better make sure that first hit is a good one then. Otherwise he can just catch right up to you. If you do that and he keeps coming after you as you run you also better make sure that you're prepairing something else to knock him on his ass again.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
Anarasha

Exactly the reason for me wanting a serious but non-lethal arsenal.
I am considering a stungun(despite the laws).
4-5 seconds of exposure to an 80.000 volt stungun is enough to knock someone down and keep them down for a few minutes.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #28
Komakino

I always carry a BB pistol, one time a dude was demanding for my wallet at knife point, then I pulled out my toy and shot a plastic pellet to his mouth while he was talking. Saved my life, but anarasha, you wouldn't wanna get into more serious trouble using a stun gun for defense knowing that its...prohibited. @_@
Komakino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Anarasha

If a guy assaults me, would he be willing to call the police to report me for carrying one?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #30
ZyklonB

In America, yeah. I don't know about your place, xD But it's been known for burglars to sue people if they get hurt while robbing them over here even. Heh.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #31
Anarasha

Yeah, well, some americans are just dumb :P
In Denmark, you can't do stuff like that Besides, if a guy assaults me, hits me and I then stun him, he won't have much brains if he reports me. The punishment for violence is way worse than holding a can of pepperspray or other non-lethal weaponry.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #32
Joker_in_the_Pack

I think it's something like eight volts of direct contact to the heart will kill a person, so you might want to re-examine the words "non-lethal" with 80,000 volts.

You know, you've got one surefire way of self defense already.

Kick-them-in-the-fun-zone.

Seriously, just punt with all you've got. Aim for the building behind them and just kick them.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:36 AM   #33
dabbadmc

^ This. Especially effective if you're wearing steel-toed boots.

I'd also have to agree with everyone else about the hairspray. It's cheap and easy to carry. I wouldn't recommend using a stungun etc if they're illegal in your country, you wouldn't want to be punished too. Just spray liberally then run the fuck outta there!
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 AM   #34
The Count

Volts can't kill, it's the Amps that are lethal.
(About 12+ Amps if I'm not mistaken)

Amps are equal to the Voltage divided by the resistance (I=V/R).
And since the human body creates a lot of resistance, the volts merely stun/disable the muscles.

But since Volts determine the Amps it's best to be careful with a stun-gun.
The Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #35
ZyklonB

LOL ignore this post, I just saw The Count's. Except, depending on the voltage, even 0.001 amp can kill you iirc. Or was it 0.01. Something like that for a 12 volt battery, like the one we were working with in my APES class.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #36
Raptor

A lethal current is more like 1000 times less than that (Zyklon already got this). 12 Amps is huge. Plus electricity can cause burns, sometimes internally as energy is dissipated in the body. I don't know how dangerous a stun actually is, but it doesn't strike me as a good idea. Especially when it's likely that the effect would vary greatly depending on position and conditions like sweat or rain.

Toy guns are risky too, they're just a bluff, and one which might get you into much more trouble than you started with.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #37
Raptor

* stun gun
Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #38
The Count

Looks like I was mistaken about the Amps.
Thanks for clearing that up, Zyklon and Raptor.
The Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 AM   #39
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight in Shining Armour View Post
Even if pepper spray were legal I wouldn't suggest using it. There's an extreme chance that you'd get it on yourself, and, despite how it's characterized to only harm the assailants eyes, it burns your skin and lungs as well, and can cause rupturing of certain blood vessels.
My friends and I were unlucky enough to get a taste of it at an anime convention last weekend.

Hairspray works well. I've used it before as a weapon, and, if you get the metal cans of it, it can be used as a bludgeon. Honestly, though, anything can be used as a weapon if you're creative enough.

I suggest reevaluating your priorities when it comes to self defense. When it is a 'you or them' type of situation, your going to have to forget nonviolent and do what you have to. You can't be lenient towards those aiming to physically harm you.

If they hit you, you knock them the fuck out.
(excuse my language)

Nothing to excuse.
Just how much shit do people get in for say... blinding someone in self defense?

Oh and. You totally ripped off my name. >.<
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #40
Anarasha

Having gotten a rather good Physics grade in the topic of Electricity, I can tell you that stunguns aren't lethal at all.
You start out with, say, 100 Watts, and you transform it up so it gives about 100.000 Volts and nigh to no Amps, that's what they do for transporting electricity from the power plant. Volts produce no heat whatsoever which is why you transport electricity as a huge amount of Volts.
So in a stungun, you transform a low amount of Watts so that it has just about no Amps but a LOT of Volts. So Stunguns are - unless the attacker has a pacemaker or weak heart - non-lethal for sure.
Turn the transformer around, though, it is VERY lethal. The point of death is 5 Amps or so iirc.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #41
Raptor

I would have thought that a potential difference for a stun gun at 100000V ranges would be an open circuit voltage. Power grids have actual potential differences of that magnitude.

As for lethal currents: http://www.hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml

Though you are right in that the actual current drawn would be dependent on the maximum power output of the batteries. There are some cases where a taser is a suspected cause of death as far as I'm aware. True non lethal weapons don't really exist, anything that can stop the strongest and healthiest of people is going to be a danger to those at the other end.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #42
Anarasha

That is true. Though a taser is transformed to oblivion so that nigh to no Amps are in the current anymore, so it just hurts like crap. It affects the muscles so they act like you have been using all of them to your absolute physical limit. Then it stuns you for a few minutes, waiting for that chemical reaction to retract, then the "victim" can move again.
But to be honest with you, I do not feel safe walking outside unarmed anymore. I really need something to protect myself.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #43
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
It affects the muscles so they act like you have been using all of them to your absolute physical limit. Then it stuns you for a few minutes, waiting for that chemical reaction to retract, then the "victim" can move again. .
Yes, and if you strike them dead in the chest above their heart, you risk shutting off some very important muscles.
Getting hit by a strong enough stun gun (mind you some are up to 1,000,000 volts) you can suffer one hell of a heart attack.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #44
Anarasha

That is why I wouldn't strike their heart And 1.000.000 Volt is a bit extreme, I am looking for one with 80.000 Volt.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #45
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
That is why I wouldn't strike their heart And 1.000.000 Volt is a bit extreme, I am looking for one with 80.000 Volt.
Oh, I'm sure you'd probably hit an arm or a leg, maybe a stomach. Nice, easy, non lethal targets. But to say that stun guns are not lethal is bullshit. They're classified as "less lethal" meaning they'll probably kill you, but you've got a shot.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #46
Still Jack

I can also recommend a Co2 gun with a blowback sytem filled with Diabolos, They´re not lethal, but they hurt like fuck. Also, if you´re carrying something like that, a lot of people will be fooled that it´s a real one. Just, don´t whip it out in public and only use it in case of an assault.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 AM   #47
Anarasha

Joker, stunguns are only lethal to someone with a weak heart or unborn infants. In rare cases, the "victim" sustains some damage, but they aren't lethal per se.
A scary movie could kill off someone with a troubled heart, but you don't call scary movies lethal either.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #48
Solumina

Except that there are documented cases of healthy people being killed by stun guns and I can only think of one documented case of someone dieing due to a scary movie, sure they were unintentional deaths, I do believe mostly due to malfunctions with the stun guns themselves, and the person with the stun gun didn't get in much trouble but they were also somewhere that allowed stun guns, if you aren't allowed to have one and you use one that malfunctions then that is manslaughter for you.

You could always just carry a cane and use that to beat away your attackers.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #49
Anarasha

I am gonna go for pepperspray I think tbh. I agree that Stunguns are dangerous, but I'll take what I can get.