Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Bloodflowers

Haunted when the minutes drag...

Just be forewarned, I tend to ramble on and on...

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
At the moment I work as an assistant manager at a store that sells music and movies. Once the economy improves I'd like to leave that job and pursue something in the field of art (the field I have a degree in). Past work experience I've had includes working at a friend's new age shop, grocery store (hated it), vet clinic, funeral home, costume and set designing, and giving free art classes to kids. My passion is art... I enjoy photography, drawing, painting, graphic design, film making and editing, sculpture, ceramics, clothing design, etc.. etc. I have a violin that I'd eventually like to be able to play... eventually. I love to travel and would like to return to Europe and explore it more extensively one of these days.

2. Where are you from?
Upstate New York... way, way, waaaaaay upstate as in directly on the Canadian border.

3. Who is your favorite author?
A narrowed down list would include Neil Gaiman (got into him through the Sandman series back in the day and moved onto his novels, "American Gods" being my favourite), Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, William Shakespeare, Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Alan Moore, Lord Byron, Sylvia Plath, Oscar Wilde, etc... I was obsessed with Koushun Takami's "Battle Royale" at one point (the film pales in comparison to the novel). I also like reading about the occult, mythologies (particularly Egyptian... Norse is good too), astronomy, psychology, etc..

4. What are your favorite films?
Terrible question for me! I am a ridiculous film junkie. My favourite genre is horror and I prefer old horror movies particularly anything featuring Vincent Price like House of Wax, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, The Pit and the Pendulum, Last Man on Earth, etc. I also love silent horror movies, foreign horror, horror musicals, scifi horror, cheesy b-horror, indie horror, vampires, zombies, werewolves, etc.. etc.. I'm not really a big fan of remakes at all. I also like scifi movies, experimental work, dark comedies, fantasies, suspense/thrillers, period style pieces, dramas, etc... even if it doesn't really seem like something I'd like I'll give any movie a try. My two favourite contemporary directors would probably be David Lynch and Tim Burton.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
"Love Song" by The Cure... terribly cliche I know, but it is a very lovely song... "Dark Romantics" by The Awakening, "Love Like Blood" by Killing Joke, etc..

6. At your funeral?
"The Funeral Party" by The Cure, "Fades Like a Song" by Bella Morte, "Twenty-four Years" by Claire Voyant, etc..

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
I keep having reoccuring nightmares in which I'm dying a terribly painful death, I'd prefer not to die in agony...

8. What kind of casket would you want?
This is funny, I used to work at a funeral home when I was 17! I'd go old-school, forget the casket, give me an old fashioned 6-sided "toe-pincher" style coffin. Yes, there is a difference between coffins and caskets (again, former occupation). I'd like it to either be black or a nice dark wood like Walnut, with a burgundy velvet interior, and antiqued silver for the metal bits... give me one of those, put me in an elegant mausoleum and I promise I (probably) won't haunt you..

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Another terrible question for me! I don't own a single pair of jeans, not even black ones, and will use any excuse to dress my best even if it's just out to the store. My favourite fabrics to wear are lace, velvet, brocade, satin, silk, fishnet, etc. I'm not really a fan of pants, I would much rather wear a dress or a skirt and a nice shirt. The pieces that I always include in my outfits are boots, beautiful chokers or necklaces, elegant gloves, pretty or interesting tights.... and the almighty corset. I HATE, hate, hate that people think that Hot Topic, Victoria's Secret, etc. sell corsets. They sell bodice tops with plastic boning that they refer to as "corsets" but they aren't the real deal. If there isn't a risk of breaking ribs or readjusting your internal organs it isn't a real corset. I wear real corsets. Overall most people would refer to my style as "romanti-goth" or "old world artistocratic vampyre". Sometimes I wear special f/x contacts in colours like red or Underworld blue *shrugs*.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Not having to pay bills, less drama...

11. What's your favorite band?
Yet again, too many to name just one... The Cure (obviously..), Bauhaus (and all the various solo and side projects), The Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Joy Division, New Order, Christian Death (with Rozz), Clan of Xymox, Bella Morte, Skinny Puppy, Rosetta Stone, The 69 Eyes (their "Blessed Be" and "Paris Kills" eras, not the new stuff so much), Emilie Autumn, London After Midnight, Corpus Delicti, Malice Mizer, Collide, Switchblade Symphony, The Birthday Massacre, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, VNV Nation, Covenant, Wumpscut, KMFDM, Velvet Acid Christ, Illusion of Joy (you're welcome, Seth! haha), Das Ich, Faith and the Muse, Cinema Strange, Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, Rasputina, Depeche Mode, Killing Joke, The Misfits, The Damned, The Smiths, Android Lust, Claire Voyant, The Cruxshadows, Diva Destruction, The Last Dance, Qntal, Dead Can Dance, etc.. etc..

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
BA degree in Art... at some point I might get some more schooling but not sure at the moment. It wouldn't necessarily be just to get a better job, it's also to assist in filling my constant desire for knowledge and self-improvement.

13. Why did you join?
At the moment I'm recovering from an injury and am started to really feel the effects of cabin fever and isolation...

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female
Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
JCC

How does somebody into David Lynch films cope with Tim Burton's bullshit, let alone enjoy it? You seem aight though.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Bloodflowers

Why thank you. I'm pretty sure I own more David Lynch than Tim Burton stuff... I definitely do if you count the Twin Peaks boxset. As for Tim, part of the appeal to me is one of childhood nostalgia. I remember when Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands (Batman too but to a lesser extent) first came out and I'm sure I annoyed the hell out of parents with my constant rewatching of my battered vhs copies. I am quite fond of his Ed Wood movie, particularly Martin Landau's portrayal of Bela Lugosi. I'm fond of many of his movies, not all of them, and I don't believe in putting him on the high pedestal that a lot of people do *shrugs* anyways, are you a fan of David Lynch?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
JCC

David Lynch is good. He's overrated, but only because he's held in such high regard that he couldn't be anything but.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Bloodflowers

Just out of curiousity, what are your thoughts on David Cronenberg? I know that many people (myself included) that are fans of David Lynch often like some of Cronenberg's films as well, particularly his early stuff like Naked Lunch and Videodrome.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
Just out of curiousity, what are your thoughts on David Cronenberg? I know that many people (myself included) that are fans of David Lynch often like some of Cronenberg's films as well, particularly his early stuff like Naked Lunch and Videodrome.
Cronenberg is one of those directors I always mean to check out something by but never get around to it.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Bloodflowers

It's possible you might've already seen something by him and not realized it. He's obviously gotten a lot of mainstream acclaim in the past few years with films like Eastern Promises and A History of Violence but in the 80's in addition to his "weird" movies (like the aforementioned Naked Lunch and Videodrome) he also did the remake of The Fly that Jeff Goldblum was in and the adaptation of The Dead Zone that featured Christopher Walken... heh, half the time I forget those two were directed by him myself...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
DepthsofSpace

You ma'am, have amazing taste. And Love & Rockets reference in the title? Huzzah. ^.^

Welcome, welcome. We need more people like you here.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Bloodflowers

DepthsofSpace, you honour me! *curtsies* I was wondering if anyone would get the Love & Rockets reference...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Fastidious

Damn, we have nearly identical taste in books and movies. That's both reassurring and unfortunate!
Fastidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #11
DRM

Oh, I love the cure.
:]
Welcome.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Bloodflowers

Thank you! Hey Fastidious, why is it both reassurring and unfortunate that we share such similar tastes in books and movies?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Fastidious

It's a rare thing to run into people with similar taste, but it always seems that they live so far away! Or, maybe I just don't get out quite enough...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
Bloodflowers

I do know that feeling all too well myself. Where in Canada are you? I live in New York right on the Canadian border, Ontario is literally about a 20 minute drive for me...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Fastidious

I'm way over in Alberta... I've actually never been to Ontario, but if I was ever to go that far east I'd much rather hit the states and New England with it's far more colorful history
Old 11-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
Bloodflowers

Heh, figures. Whenever I find someone that I'd probably get along with who lives in Canada it's almost always Alberta or British Columbia... never Ontario or Quebec (aka places within driving distance). New England is nice, I do really like Ottawa though. There are several nice shops and a really nice art gallery there.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
RadTeeJay

Why can't more people like Poppy Z!!??

Well atleast you listed her. I'm sorry but I'm a fanatic haha.

Our musical intrests are pretty hand in hand too ^_^
I can't believe I forgot to list Skinny Puppy under my bands.

But anywho ... haha we even ramble on like eachother.

Warm Welcomes ^_^
RadTeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Priestly

Ah, very artistic directors you like. Good to see another artist. I'd love to see your photography and your wardrobe... perhaps you could photograph your outfits? Welcome!
Priestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Bloodflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTeeJay View Post
Why can't more people like Poppy Z!!??

Well atleast you listed her. I'm sorry but I'm a fanatic haha.

Our musical intrests are pretty hand in hand too ^_^
I can't believe I forgot to list Skinny Puppy under my bands.

But anywho ... haha we even ramble on like eachother.

Warm Welcomes ^_^
It always amazed me... the number of people that absolutely rave about Anne Rice but are unfamiliar with Poppy Z's work. So strange...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
Bloodflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priestly View Post
Ah, very artistic directors you like. Good to see another artist. I'd love to see your photography and your wardrobe... perhaps you could photograph your outfits? Welcome!
I'll get around to posting some photography stuff online eventually. I have dozens of flash drives, memory cards, etc. that I need to go through and organize first. I was actually planning on doing an autumn photo shoot but I messed up my ankle about a month ago.. *disappointed*
Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #21
Pineapple_Juice

Hey Dark Romantics! That song is the shit!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #22
Priestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
I'll get around to posting some photography stuff online eventually. I have dozens of flash drives, memory cards, etc. that I need to go through and organize first. I was actually planning on doing an autumn photo shoot but I messed up my ankle about a month ago.. *disappointed*
I am sorry to hear about that. I hope you'll recover quickly so you can get back to your hobbies. Would love to see an autumn shoot. Sounds nifty!
Priestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #23
Bloodflowers

I love "Dark Romantics", I'm surprised how many people have never even heard of that song. I do hope the autumn photo shoot pans out... once I'm back on my feet I also have to coordinate work schedules with friends and whatnot. Plus living this far north snow is always a constant threat this time of year. My regular body art parlour also wants me to model for them for some promo ads too so I guess we'll just have to see...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #24
Beowulf

Hello and welcome I hope you enjoy your time here !!!. : )

You have an excellent taste in films !!!. : )
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
Xeric2000

A warm welcome!

I forsee many interesting conversations...we share many of the same passions! Welcome!
Xeric2000 is offline   Reply With Quote