Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
LegendGirl

The Walking Dead

Has anyone been watching The Walking Dead on AMC? If you're a zombie fan, it's a pretty decent show considering it's on primetime TV.
LegendGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Despanan

Saw the first episode. I also own signed copies of the first four trades and the first 30 something issues.

Robert Kirkman is an incredible writer, and also a pretty decent dude IRL.

Overall I'm very impressed with the show. The acting is more than solid, and the special effects are good. It's a pretty faithful adaptation, and the changes they've made are good. I'm VERY happy that out of the gate, this show has more balls than Supernatural ever had (there's a zombie kid headshot during the first few minutes of the episode for instance)

The guy playing Shane (Rick's friend) is miscast, and can't really do a Kentucky accent.

Unfortunately, I'll have to torrent it/wait for DVD, I don't have TV, and as far as I know they're only streaming the one episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Deadmanwalking_05

I've been watching the show since episode one ,have to say I like it,damn good story.

I really like how the cop scrambled into the tank and found a zombie tank crewman,then let off the colt python,and almost blew his own ear drums out (The blast from a .357 Magnum firing in an enclosed space will fuck your hearing up),I had to cringe though when the deputy told one of the other officers to make sure the safety was off on his Glock 22 (The nice thing about the Glock is that it has no safety,the worst thing about a Glock is...It doesn't have a fucking safety).

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Murder.Of.Crows

I haven't seen it yet, but it reminded me of Zombieland. They were originally going to make it a t.v. series and were denied due to censors. Now there is another zombie series and made it's way through. Not saying it was a bad turn of events, I think Zombieland is better as a movie judging on the pilot, but i still find it funny. Fuckin censor board.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Geoluhread

I watched the first episode and was really impressed with the make up and effects!!
However, I don't think the idea of living dead and few people surviving is suitable for a series. A movie, yes. But not a series.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

It's an incredible show.
I predict it won't be around long, though, because the people watching it just for zombies will be annoyed that they spend time developing characters and plot, and people who just want a story may be annoyed at zombies.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Despanan

You guys really should read the comic book.

It's like a Zombie Movie that never ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Garethsteen

I'm not watching it as it's shown but I am recording it so I can watch the whole thing from start to finish. I hate watching shows in weekly episodes, I don't have a good enough memory to remember what happened the week before.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
The Divine Ms. M

Saw this on the AMC website: http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...on-figures.php awesomeness!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
Apathy's_Child

Yeah, it's good shit. I've really enjoyed it so far. I don't know about miscast (haven't read the comics, although I actually ordered the 1st volume a few days ago so it should be with me pretty soon), but the Shane character pisses me off me. The flip-flop from Mr. Nice Guy to attempted rapist is dismally unconvincing IMO. Most unforgivably though, he's just plain dull as FUCK.

I'm hoping to attach to the characters more in the comic. More of them annoy me than not. Luckily the whole thing is good enough that that's not a deal-breaker, but I'm hoping I'll find the comic different in that respect.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Grausamkeit

The way that they went with Rick in the comics pissed me off after a while. I understand people having breakdowns and all, but it makes his character look like a pussy. He's supposed to be the hero, heroes can't be pussies.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Lilyth_Von_Gore

I actually adore that series. The first episode grabbed me straight away and before I knew it, I was watching re-runs of all the episodes. I'd never read the comics, so I bought the first one a few weeks after the series on Fox ended, and noticed that there were HUGE differences between the tv series and the comic.
Nonetheless, I loved it.
Lilyth_Von_Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Hydrodyssodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
The way that they went with Rick in the comics pissed me off after a while. I understand people having breakdowns and all, but it makes his character look like a pussy. He's supposed to be the hero, heroes can't be pussies.

Hi.
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
CuckooTuli

I only read the first comic, and didn't really have the interest to continue. Love the idea of staying with the aftermath on an unending basis and really wanted to like it, but the story was "meh", most of the characters were underdeveloped and annoying, and the sexism... oh, the sexism. I thought the TV adaptation pissed all over it. As I said, I only read the first volume, but after struggling all the way through to like it, I had to accept by the end that I just plain didn't.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Mr E Nigma

Haven't read the comic. The show seems pretty good.

I'm all for character development. But I would like a nice pace of zombie action to dialogue.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
Apathy's_Child

Actually, having sampled, I'm with Cuckoo on the comics. Underwhelming and staggeringly sexist.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrodyssodia View Post

Hi.
I don't know what that means. Is it a comic book? A cartoon? Male or female? What is the context of that picture?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #18
CIRQUEFREAK91

I thought there would be an episode this week but apparently the next is scheduled to air in February. Last week's episode had an amazing ending.
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
AshleyO

Man, I don't know why everyone is hating on Shane. He's a great character. I love how he's insidious and EVENTUALLY dangerous.

The only thing that doesn't seem like him is his hangups for Lauri. I mean, Rick is back and all. Drop that shit. It doesn't seem to fit him.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
Grausamkeit

Ashley, are you being sarcastic?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #21
Apathy's_Child

I don't think his motivations are clear or well-developed. Where does the rage come from? Is it REALLY all about that whiny bitch who's now gone back to that other whiny bitch, whose whining didn't bother Shane back when they were BFF's? His actions seem to stem from the writers being like "Aight so we should TOTALLY have Shane go all dark & shit!", rather than really showing us what drives the character.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
emeraldlonewoulf

I don't watch TV. As in, I really don't except for this series. And now we have to wait until Feb.12th! this sucks. Nice mid-season ending, though.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
Spooky Spencer

Walking Dead returns... tonight!

Kinda feels like a family reunion. With, you know... zombies.

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Man, I don't know why everyone is hating on Shane. He's a great character. I love how he's insidious and EVENTUALLY dangerous.

The only thing that doesn't seem like him is his hangups for Lauri. I mean, Rick is back and all. Drop that shit. It doesn't seem to fit him.
Shane hate is kinda stupid. He's the most believable character on that show, mostly because he's almost always right. He has his own set of values, he's devoted to a family that isn't even his, he makes mistakes, but I don't think he's really evil. Dangerous? Hells, yeah.

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #25
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I don't think his motivations are clear or well-developed. Where does the rage come from? Is it REALLY all about that whiny bitch who's now gone back to that other whiny bitch, whose whining didn't bother Shane back when they were BFF's? His actions seem to stem from the writers being like "Aight so we should TOTALLY have Shane go all dark & shit!", rather than really showing us what drives the character.
Dude. It is a zombie apocalypse. Clearly Shane is treating this as a kind of total war. Hell, I think he almost likes it. Everyone else seems to define Shane's behavior though. Everyone else hesitates and second guesses and worries about each others' feelings. Shane has to step up. He has to be the brutal one, the one that would do the dirty work. He threw his morality out the window. Plus, we don't really know much about any of the characters from their past and shit. It's unfair to dismiss Shane outright if we're not going to do the same for the other characters.

Truthfully, Rick is the ONLY character we've got that we can deduce his motivations reasonably. Save for him, all the characters seem to have the same amount of flesh.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote