Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

View Poll Results: Which of the following would you consider your favorite?
Vincent Price 26 48.15%
Betty Davis 1 1.85%
Bela Lugosi 27 50.00%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
December

Your favorite old horror movie actors.

Return of the fly came on a few minutes ago and reminded me of the good old days when actors could act so I thought I would ask this questionto see what your favorite old horror movie actors would be.
December is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
WeaselBoy

This would be good, but I have a few nit-picky points:

1) Betty Davis is not really a horror movie acctress, although I really liked 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?' as far as suspense goes.
2) You left out a lot of actors. I would have had this at the minimum:

1) Bela Lugosi
2) Boris Karloff
3) Lon Chaney
4) Lon Chaney Jr.

I think your poll would probably be better left off.
WeaselBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Nemo_Infinity

It's Bette Davis, Betti Page and Betty Boop.

As for Ms Davis, Vincent Price and Bela Lugosi, Karloff kicks their asses anyday, anywhere.

But if i'ts between these three, I guess I'd go with Bela. At least he's undead.

/Z8
Nemo_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
Nemo_Infinity

Darn! It's actually Bettie Page. Oh well, at least I sounded sarcastic.

/Z8
Old 10-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
December

Well I added Boris but for some reason he did not appear on the post when I went back to check it. As for Lon I have never seen any of his and his movies. I suppose I should have made the title horror and suspense but oh well. I was open to any other suggestions as far as actors. I was hoping that someone would post their own ideas just as you have done. I will have to check into the Mr. Chaney and his Jr. sometime. What movies were they in anyway?
Old 11-05-2003, 02:06 AM   #6
Nike

I really miss Max Schreck in your list.....and Kinski....Kinski, of course is not a typical old horror movie actor, but anyway, those 2 are my favorites.
For those who have never heard of Max Schreck:
http://www.kjenkins49.fsnet.co.uk/max.htm
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:44 AM   #7
MrMaelstrom

VINCENT PRICE!!! The dude could do it without props and fake fangs. And THAT voice!........
But the best is Tim Burton's clay animation of "The Boy who wanted to be Vincent Price.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
Nemo_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by December
I will have to check into the Mr. Chaney and his Jr. sometime. What movies were they in anyway?
Junior was the Wolf Man in five films for Universal, beginning with The Wolf Man in the early forties, senior was the horror star in the twenties, Goth act London After Midnight took their name from one of his films.

The films you should see, if you are not afriad if silent movies or black and white (if you are, what are you doing on Gothic.net?) are
Senior:
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Phantom of the Opera

Junior:
The Wolf Man
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

The last one has Lon Chaney Jr, Glenn Strange, Bud Abbott, Lou Costello and Bela Lugosi. And no, I won't tell you who those guys were.

/Z8
Old 11-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #9
Deadhymn

JESUS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about this:
Peter Cushing
Christopher Lee
Bela
Lon Chaney Jr.
Lon Chaney
Karloff
Claude Rains
Vincent Price
Peter Lorre (if for no other reason than The Raven)
Klaus Kinski (best Dracula ever!! Nosferatu, Phantom Der Nach, 1979)
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #10
December

Actually Nemo I have seen three of the movies you listed a few times atr least. Of course I haven't watch those since I was about 10 so I couldn't have remebered the actors names to save my soul. Good movies though. When I was a kid I had this obsession with anything about Phantom of the Opera. I saw all the movies and read the books and listened to the musical on tape.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #11
Deadhymn

Peter Lorre played Dr. Einstein in that one.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:08 AM   #12
Nemo_Infinity

[quote="TStone"]...so who played the doctor in that one Mr. Wisengamit?/quote]

Boy, has IMDb taken the fun out of moviequizzing...

/Z8[/url]
Old 11-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #13
Deadhymn

actually i own that one on VHS. otherwise it probably would have been a short fact finding trip to the imdb....and i totally agree...you cant destroy anyones perception of how great their movie knowledge is anymore. EVERYONE uses imdb.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:53 PM   #14
Erazmus

Peter Lorre
If you haven't seen it and can find it (Assuming you are not afraid of silent, B/W movies) check out M . Now there was a scarey movie.
Claude Rains was terrific as Satan in "Angel on my shoulder"
Max Shriek has to be the scariest mother fucker to ever appear in a movie.

Mike
Erazmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:10 PM   #15
Daz

a few years ago i went on this origonal horror movie kick and watched all, and i mean all the old flickc. night after night of no sleep, just great old movies. one hting i have to say is watching Lon Chaney Jr. go through the make-up changes was amazing.
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:13 PM   #16
AntaresScorpius

Vincent Price; tall, strong character, his wicked voice, and overbearing nature with the women - WoW!!! Is it hot in here!

Now I know this isn't a horror movie, but "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", is one of my favorite movies. It's more of a musical comedy that makes fun of horror movies.
But my point is that I just adore Tim Curry as the misguided Dr. Frankfurter. He also has a particular voice for the imagination like Vincent Price does.

Oh, and Danny Elfman's voice just sends me as the character Jack Skeleton, in the Tim Burton movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas."

I obviously have a fetish for distinct voices!!! :shock:
AntaresScorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:18 PM   #17
Daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntaresScorpius
I obviously have a fetish for distinct voices!!! :shock:
can that really be a fetish?
i saw a site one day.. some guy in japan has a hair part fetish... he sits around in malls on the second floor taking pictures of the tops of womens heads. :twisted:
Old 11-25-2003, 09:59 PM   #18
AntaresScorpius

Yes, distinct, strong voices can be a fetish.
Here's the definition of fetish in the dictionary:
1. An object believed to have magical powers, esp. of protection. 2. An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence. 3. [/u]Something, as a material object or an often nonsexual part of the body, that arouses or gratifies sexual desire.

Do you know which definition describes my fetish? Ya, voices are very important to me. Howard Stern isn't necessarily attractive in person, but have him talk on the radio waves and I'm attracted.
AntaresScorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:10 PM   #19
Phantasm

Lon Chaney is my favorite, hands down. Wonderful actor.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:55 AM   #20
Nemo_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm
Lon Chaney is my favorite, hands down. Wonderful actor.
Jr or sr? Oh, wait, you said actor... that rules out junior... Excellent choice! Now all you have to say is "And, oh, I forgot Karloff!" and you will have gotten full marks.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:40 PM   #21
Asurai

Bela Lugosi wins solely because of his role in "Dracula." I felt that he played his character more than perfectly. His voice and look alone would have made the movie a horror film.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:01 AM   #22
Dee_The_Slut

I'd have to say Peter Cushing. The man was amazing and there's something so stark and uneasy about him, even when he's playing the good guy. When I was a kid I found myself watching the old Hammer horrors just because i was really drawn to him in a car crash kind of way: i didn't want to see it, it scared me, but i just couldn't help myself, he was so intriguing. oooooh, and Christopher Lee had a good run.
Dee_The_Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #23
WolfMoon

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
VINCENT PRICE!!! The dude could do it without props and fake fangs. And THAT voice!........
But the best is Tim Burton's clay animation of "The Boy who wanted to be Vincent Price.
Quite true Maelstrom,although I thoroughly expected everyone to pic Bela,hands down.I'm glad that a few remember the Master.I love you because you know a true actor.

I've seen Bela's Dracula and the original Nosferatu.I hope one day to have an intimidating amount of old horror(shut up!!),and I hope most of it is black and white.I also own The Phantom of The Opera(Lon Chaney).Does anyone else think silent films are great?Shutting up now. :wink:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:05 PM   #24
WolfMoon

Re: o

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Quite true Maelstrom,although I thoroughly expected everyone to pic Bela,hands down.I'm glad that a few remember the Master.I love you because you know a true actor.

I've seen Bela's Dracula and the original Nosferatu.I hope one day to have an intimidating amount of old horror(shut up!!),and I hope most of it is black and white.I also own The Phantom of The Opera(Lon Chaney).Does anyone else think silent films are great?Shutting up now. :wink:
Sorry,sorry this is about actors.My favorites are:
VINCENT PRICE!!!!!!!
Bela Lugosi
Lon Chaney Sr.
Lon Chaney Jr.
Boris Karloff
Max Schrek

Just saw White Zombie last Hallows.Good movie,Bela and Boris.What is it about Bela's widows peak that makes me start thinking in gibberish?

Deadhymn,I'm sorry dear,but there's absolutely NO way Klaus is a better Dracula or Nosferatu than Bela & Max(respectively).
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #25
Jeiden

Mine

[color=#bf00bf]Would have to be Vincent Price.[/color]
Jeiden is offline   Reply With Quote