Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: ...
.. 0 0%
... 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:17 AM   #3226
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Splintered: there are two things going on here (IMHO).

a) As our dear PersephoneX implies, possible organic based brain issues: I myself suffer from "racing thoughts" and have brought it under control with serotonin management. It CAN be brought under control, which will bring focus back to your consciousness. Although it *is* fun being manic from time to time.

b) Information overload. This was predicted back in the '70s by Alvin Toffler in his book "Future Shock", where there is simply too much bandwidth flooding our simple "processors" as you put it. The way to manage all of this data comes from a surprising source: the Internet itself, and our computers.
I use my my computer and the 'net as an extension of my mind, I don't bother to memorize and compute all data outside of my expertise, I specialize in just a few areas, and refer to the net for everything else.

Not up to date on the latest Patriot Act "sunset" provision? Go to the net. Need to know who Sarah Sands is? Google her. Of course, like our own minds, the net is not always objective and accurate, so our brain power can be reserved to filter and discern the data we retrieve from the net, ultimate judgement that we use for our own purposes and preferences.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #3227
PersephoneX

i'm just partial to the drugs!!!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #3228
She_Is_My_Sin

Well this takes the biscuit. Someone has been snooping through my draws! I wouldn't have minded if there wasn't some stuff in there that I probably shouldn't have. A few months ago, I was given some money to buy school stuff, but I spent a proportion of it on other things. Though I hid them relitavely well, my mother made a classic error of putting something that didn't belong into the draw, within it.

Now she's gonna tell my father & he's going to lose it with me.

Gosh, I just wish she'd respect my request to leave my draws alone!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #3229
PersephoneX

oi oi oi...relax...
when she tells your dad, you have two choices:
1: break down into tears...and then tell them that you have no privacy.
2: tell them you had saved up to buy whatever it is that you bought.
HOWEVER: if you bought weed or dodgy "toys", bend over and kiss your ass goodbye!
i hope you dont get into trouble for it...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 AM   #3230
She_Is_My_Sin

It wasn't anything illegal or pervy! She hasn't mentioned it & hopefully she won't.

It's just I hate people going through my stuff. She did it before & it had dire consequences.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:05 AM   #3231
PersephoneX

hmm.., you need to hide things better...
cut a hole in your matress or something...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #3232
RadioactiveFrog

I've found that the battery compartment in my stereo works pretty well
Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #3233
PersephoneX

are you storing weed, or what?!?

when i moved out of home, i used a wooden kist that my grandad made for me, it locked pretty well...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #3234
PersephoneX

ok i have one:

cheap laughs make the office environment interesting...y'know like the dude who always talks about shyte, but has to reiterate the fact that he's hinting at talking about sex? and like, i'm the only young, unmarried woman on the team so he's like..."y'know what i mean?!?" and you're like..."piss off ya greasy old c@nt"

and then you'd be carrying a server that weighs the same as your own bloody body weight and the same pervert will be staring at your arse while you A: try to walk down the stairs without falling on your head or B: try to bend to put the bloody thing down where it's meant to be, in a skirt that you wear because you were told that you had to look more official...ie: dress like a bloody girl because the narrow-minded nob you share a cubicle with, has problems with girls that dress like guys!
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #3235
Splintered

Quote:
The way to manage all of this data comes from a surprising source: the Internet itself, and our computers.
I use my my computer and the 'net as an extension of my mind, I don't bother to memorize and compute all data outside of my expertise, I specialize in just a few areas, and refer to the net for everything else.

Not up to date on the latest Patriot Act "sunset" provision? Go to the net. Need to know who Sarah Sands is? Google her. Of course, like our own minds, the net is not always objective and accurate, so our brain power can be reserved to filter and discern the data we retrieve from the net, ultimate judgement that we use for our own purposes and preferences.
Well, here's the thing. Even if you know about the information, it's not going to stop you from thinking about it. Using the processor analogy, even though iTunes knows it's playing a song, it is still processing it. You'll eventually be judging so much, you run into information overload still.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #3236
Splintered

So, I'm going through my usual pattern of forums, reading what people have to say. I have about five or six that I'm a member of, and two or three that I post in. I find it quit relaxing to read what people have to say, and when the occasional time comes, give the best advice that I can.

I came across one post though in a forum (I'm not going to point fingers, or name names, that's uncalled for), which basically said, "Help, my boyfriend has just died, I'm cutting, he was the only one who knew, save for my parents, who really don't care. I passed by it, and went through and read some more posts.

Not half an hour later I come back, there is a message basically staying, "If you were telling the truth, I doubt you would be here". I don't know why, but this particular post is just eating at me. Which brings me to tonights rant: What if they're not lying?

I will be the first one to admit that the above argument does have merit. Sure, it is a possibility. With that said, how do you know? What proof do you have, that this event didn't happen, and furthermore, what intelligently based decision guides you to plainly call someone a liar?

Now, it does appear to me that this is a bit, "Politically Correct". That it's essentially complaining about someone else's speech. Here's the thing: As much as a right as someone has to spout off whatever they have, if they're making baseless assumptions, shouldn't they be called out?

There's really no evidence to the contrary that they are not lying, only your assumptions that they are. With the data provided in the post, there's not logical way to devise that they are deceiving you, or that they are actually telling you the truth. So, what sense does it make then, to tell someone to shut up?

Where's the logic in this? If you can argue that they must be lying because what they say is improbable, you're making a statement. If you can not back up your statement, then in debate, your statement must be false in the debate. (Absence of backing is not proof that the argument is true, no matter how much creationists seem to use that.)

So, if your statement doesn't stand up to debate, then why should we either believe it, or accept it? Why should we even tolerate it then? Unless you can prove their wrong, within some degree, then there's really no reason why your statement should be taken seriously, because there's nothing to support your statement.

Then what are you left with? The statement, "If you don't have something helpful to say, don't say anything" comes to mind. Yes, I realize that some people may want to endlessly curse at someone, but then again, it must then make fair sense that said person could be endlessly cursed at for not making any logical sense, when they have no proof to back themselves up with. It's a Cartesian way of looking at things, I guess (Requiring someone to backup their statements, otherwise it doesn't make sense, seems like it would fit with Descartes on the spot.) but it makes sense to me.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:15 AM   #3237
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Well thought out Splintered. And I would add:
Considering it is another human being, why take a chance that they are lying?
Error on the side of caution if someone's life may be at stake, I say.
Better safe, than sorry.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:24 AM   #3238
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
I agree with you of course, but I must say there were several such situations on this site as far as I can remember. Someone wrote about their life as if they were spilling their heart out and the answers were shut up, stop whinning, you can't be telling the truth.
I can understand such answers. On such sites we are constantly confronted with poeple who want attention and it is quite clear that with time you get annoyed and just skip over such posts with some irritated comment.

Your above post has now brought me to also think that it quite possible that people are not lying. But I still think they shouldn't write it in the internet. I personally see the internet as a possibility to create an imaginary world which would be supported by people that believe you and so I hardly believe anything here.

And also, the internet is hardly a place to expect political correctness. People that don't have enough guts to bitch at others in real life use the opprotunity of doing so in the internet.
And also, irritated comments as to posts about help me I am cutting and my life is so terrible are understandable because that is not what one come's here to read.

So I understand your point on view that it is absolutely not necessary to post an offending comment when one cannot support it with evidence but I can also undertsand those that do becuase a subjective reaction to a subjective statement is only natural.
My advice would be, if you want one that is, don't take internet so seriously.
I like your way of thinking, I must add, though. You brought me to a new thought.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #3239
Splintered

Quote:
Your above post has now brought me to also think that it quite possible that people are not lying. But I still think they shouldn't write it in the internet. I personally see the internet as a possibility to create an imaginary world which would be supported by people that believe you and so I hardly believe anything here.
Let's look at the difference between "Should", and "Need to".

I technically, shouldn't piss in the woods.
I technically, shouldn't be out writing my name in the snow, in a very eloquent form of cursive, before I drive away on a long road trip.

Yet, I need to take a whiz, otherwise I piss my pants.

Now, let's look at what a lot of these kids supposedly have.

1. In real life, they have no real outlet. (School counselors are supposedly sub par in most places, real counselors cost money, or are overtaxed. Parents are unreachable, and sometimes the subject of complaint.)

2. They have access to a computer, and the internet. (Some argue that this is a good life. Problem; Material objects, arguably do not replace physical warmth and emotions. You can be really rich, yet be yelled at.)

3. People on the internet listen, and can (Or at least used to) help.

What is the thing they are going to do?

If you really wanted to talk to someone, and had nowhere else to do it, where would you go?

Quote:
And also, the internet is hardly a place to expect political correctness. People that don't have enough guts to bitch at others in real life use the opportunity of doing so in the internet.
And also, irritated comments as to posts about help me I am cutting and my life is so terrible are understandable because that is not what one come's here to read.
Yet, that's what it propagates. It's an open forum, and an open community. What logically follows in it's wake? People seeking to be open.

While it's hardly a place to expect political correctness, there is no reason why one can't argue for it's propagation. As much as one can scream that someone is an imbecile, someone can point out how they are wrong, and have no backing for their arguments. If they can't handle that, then whose fault is it actually?

Quote:
So I understand your point on view that it is absolutely not necessary to post an offending comment when one cannot support it with evidence but I can also undertsand those that do becuase a subjective reaction to a subjective statement is only natural.
My advice would be, if you want one that is, don't take internet so seriously.
I like your way of thinking, I must add, though. You brought me to a new thought.
I can understand why people do it.
But that doesn't mean I'm not going to point out what they're doing. It doesn't make sense to me, because they have no logical backing, yet constantly yell at people.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #3240
DarkHeartedDemoness

Maybe the people who yell at people for lying have been "burned" too many times before. Maybe they get emotionally invested in a forum, or a specific person, and then that person posts a sob story. So naturally, this emotionally invested person is going to want to help, right? Consequently, they pour their heart out on how they can relate, how much they care for this person, how this person should get help. They may go so far as to PM this person their phone number, to try to help them personally. Then, it comes out that this person was lying. This person is nothing more than a manipulative attention seeker who preys on those who care about him/her. This person didn't really have a problem, other than his/her need for attention.

The person who was emotionally invested has just been "burned". They've been manipulated by someone they care about. This is pretty common on the internet, and with that knowledge, our "burn victim" is going to be wary the next time, even to the point of being cold.

I'm not saying it's right-- I'm just saying it's understandable.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #3241
Alaizabel Cray

So, I like this guy. A lot of girls my age do like some guy (or girl) or another. But then I asked him if he liked me back today. Just point-blank said, "I don't know why I'm asking this, but do you like me?" Wow, such a spaz. He said no, which was what I expected, but still, it kind of hurts a bit. Just a straight up "I've got to be honest here. No." I'm glad he didn't try to fluff it up, that would have annoyed me, but at the same time man, a wee bit harsh there. I'm not as upset as I thought I might be, but at the same time, I feel like I'm having a bad reaction. Oh, the drama, I hate being a teenage girl.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #3242
disorder

Right. My first rant. Here we go!

I was reading this article about Global resorces comsumption. Despite my first thoughts, it was quite an interesting read. Did you realise that if ever country in the world consumed the same amount of resources as the US, we'd need the resources of 5.3 planets to last us a year? That's filthy, that's what that is. If every country comsumed the same amount of resorces as India, on the other hand, we'd need only the resources of half the globe to sustain us for a year.

But that isn't what really made me feel angry. There was a graph further down this article. It showed what the Western world spends on luxury products each year, and what it would cost to achieve the UN's 'Millennium Development Goals'. It showed that every year, we spend $18billion on make-up, and for $12billion there could be reproductive health-care for every woman on earth. It gets worse. Each year we spend $15billion on perfume. It would costs $5billion to make everyone on earth literate. We spend $17billion on food for our pets, but for just another $2billion, we could rid the world of hunger and malnutrition once and for all.

Society as a whole currently disgusts me. I have the right to be mad.

Imagen that! Everyone on Earth being literate! I'm boycotting perfume.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:30 AM   #3243
PersephoneX

this could get smelly... o.O
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #3244
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder
Right. My first rant. Here we go!

If ever country in the world consumed the same amount of resources as the US, we'd need 5.3 planet earths
I learnt this recently too. It is the most vile thing. It's sickening.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #3245
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaizabel Cray
So, I like this guy. A lot of girls my age do like some guy (or girl) or another. But then I asked him if he liked me back today. Just point-blank said, "I don't know why I'm asking this, but do you like me?" Wow, such a spaz. He said no, which was what I expected, but still, it kind of hurts a bit. Just a straight up "I've got to be honest here. No." I'm glad he didn't try to fluff it up, that would have annoyed me, but at the same time man, a wee bit harsh there. I'm not as upset as I thought I might be, but at the same time, I feel like I'm having a bad reaction. Oh, the drama, I hate being a teenage girl.
This might sound very non-personal but I seriously think that if he doesn't like you and see what an interesting and intelligent person you are, he is not worth of you. If he likes a different type of girls than the type you are, then he shouldn't be interesting for you either.

And one more thing, you have brought me to awe by your courage. Being a teenage girl and having gone through all that myself, I have never managed such a streight forward step. I have always tried playing little games of looks and smiles and then ignoring him for a bit....namely stupid childish fuss. So you have rissen higher than this and much higher than him. Congradulations. Forger the whole situation and find yourself a more worthy guy to have a crush on.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #3246
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder
If every country comsumed the same amount of resorces as India, on the other hand, we'd need only the resources of half the globe to sustain us for a year.
This will make you even more enraged with the graphics, but I want to point it out because I don't like the "on the other hand" part.
India is the third country that wastes more of everything (including oil).
That "on the other hand" shouldn't be there because what they say about India is not good.
Maybe India wastes ten times less resources than the United States according to these statistics, but even with the conditions following India's economy, the world's economy and ecology would be destroyed in two years.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #3247
Alaizabel Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Look Behind You
This might sound very non-personal but I seriously think that if he doesn't like you and see what an interesting and intelligent person you are, he is not worth of you. If he likes a different type of girls than the type you are, then he shouldn't be interesting for you either.

And one more thing, you have brought me to awe by your courage. Being a teenage girl and having gone through all that myself, I have never managed such a streight forward step. I have always tried playing little games of looks and smiles and then ignoring him for a bit....namely stupid childish fuss. So you have rissen higher than this and much higher than him. Congradulations. Forger the whole situation and find yourself a more worthy guy to have a crush on.
Awh, thanks. That really made me feel good.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #3248
Alaizabel Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Maybe India wastes ten times less resources than the United States according to these statistics, but even with the conditions following India's economy, the world's economy and ecology would be destroyed in two years.
I was thinking the same thing. I was like, "Ok, so using up half of the world, means we only have half left afterwards, which means we're still toast."
Old 11-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #3249
Cicero

Statistics like the ones about America and India are never accurate, since they deal with quantities so large they're difficult to fathom. It's like those statistics that talk in measurements no one understands, like "equivalent to the weight of twelve dipterocarps", or "about the same height as your uncle's spleen". They aren't measurements people are familiar with, and so the information is meaningless.

Also, I don't actually think the information is accurate anyway. India barely consumes anything, and in comparison much of the world would consume more, and so by that logic we should have stripped the earth of its resources many years ago...

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Old 11-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #3250
Godslayer Jillian

Actually, India is the third consumer of the most precious resource today: oil.
After North America, non-OECD Asian countries are the ones that have the highest rate of oil consumption of all:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/figure_27.html
The two non-OECD countries I want to point out are China and India.
And estimate of India's oil consumption is 2.32 million barrels a day. (2003 estimates) (http://www.indexmundi.com/india/index.html#Economy)

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Closed Thread