Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Anti-Mindvirus

What does music mean to you?

I want to listen to something new, but along with a music video..

So, I want you all to post your favorite music video, and the reason why you love it..

Mine is : Massive Attack - Butterfly Caught

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aXx3qb4H0po
(watch it full screen)

I love this video and this song so much. It's not my favorite song by Massive Attack, but it is very much loved. Lyrics are :

"Weightless falls honeysuckle
Strangers (strange this)
Lights from pages
Paper thin thing

Protected by the naked eye
Pearly sunrise

Nearly worn
Kneeling like a supplicant
Darkened skin
Afraid to see
Radiate
Open lips
Keep smiling for me
Darkened skin
Afraid to see
Radiate
Open lips
Keep smiling for me

Weightless cool honeysuckle
Fair skin freckles
Uncut teeth
Tranquil eyes
Bite my lips
Bite my lips
Shhh
Under your feet"

To me this says that we are a generation caught in limbo , and the frustration of life that builds up.. it is about frustration, and I like how dark and serious it is..
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
CSSLZT13

You want something new?

The Haunted - All Against All

Judging from the MA video you posted, you've probably never seen this one. (And if I'm mistaken and you have, watch it again. It's good.) Gotta warn you, though, if you haven't seen it -- this one is thrash metal with a touch of melodeath. If you don't like your rock to hit heavily, this one isn't for you.

(Any real metalhead would probably diss me for not going with something more classic like Metallica or Slayer, but fuck it. There's more to music than just what you listen to, you know, and I'm willing to acknowledge it.)

The reason I posted such a video is because, plain and simple, the song kicks ass. The video is dynamic and exciting but nothing special, and I'm not going to bother posting the lyrics, as they mean little to me past aesthetic value (Plus, they're pretty pathetic - I'm fairly sure you will get the idea if you make out the first two lines.). But the music is something that never fails to excite me, even during my deepest bouts of depression.

Speaking of which, what music means to me is an expression of oneself that strives to acheive the status of an art form within one that is never constant. What I mean by that is, with, say, literature and paintings, there's always existence to its substance. It's always constant. It's right there in your face and will not disappear unless by outside influences. Even movies and games can be paused on every single frame to be captured, with the right tools, of course. Music, however, is composed of compiled sound, and since sound is an audible art form, it is not constant. It exists only in that moment it is created. Therefore, the most common form of art used with sound is the creation of music. Even if you have the CD or MP3 files in your computer, you cannot force the music to stay constant; to do so would just create one specific sound for as long as you wish, and since this is not music by most standards, it must continue flowing into its inconstant state of more sounds to create the music. Of course, you could just create a continual flow of music, but then, you're just creating a never-ending stream of melodic sound. One sound doesn't stay constant.

All right, I'm guessing that whoever is reading this is getting annoyed by my attempt to be an amateur teacher (Y'know, I could have delved into how important the existence of music is to society.), and I'm fairly sure this is not what the original poster had in mind when she asked what music means to me, so I'll explain myself better. Music is my freaking life. I live to listen to music. It has gotten me through some hard times when I was feeling down on myself and wanted everyone dead. It revitalizes me when I'm down, it invigorates me further when I'm up, it pushes me over the edge and forces me to fucking fly already when I waver. It's my life force and one thing that has always remained constant in my life, never betraying me, never beguiling me, never taking advantage of my naivete at life, always there whenever I need a fix. It forces every muscle in my body to continue working, even when I feel like collapsing in utter exhaustion or complete depression, and even eventually lifts me up out of such dismal states. I fucking love it, and I would personally prefer even the most distasteful music over an eternity of complete silence. Extreme, but true -- I figure I can put up with squeaky clean pop music or cheesier-than-Velveeta rap as long as I don't have to listen to nothing.

Currently, I've been beating around the bushes of metal music recently after I discovered its existence a few years back. I've not much, but so far, my favorite sub-genres of metal are thrash and melodic death, though I'm game to hear other stuff, too.

That, and Puerto Rico doesn't have much industrial to hand out. Sucks not being able to order online.
CSSLZT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Draconysius

Rythym is the heartbeat of the universe (and the song of my life is a funeral dirge). With that self-reference finished, let me just say that music is what I breathe.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Anti-Mindvirus

oh, wow, thank you CSSLZT13...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
KontanKarite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snDKg48VQo

Cruxshadows - Eurydice

Music to me, is one of the final mysteries of life to me. I'm not tone deaf, but its inner workings, its genius, its architecture, escapes me and causes me to love it even more. It's beyond my grasp for some reason and I wish so much to understand it. Not so much be a musician, but to understand it.

I chose this song because of the lead singer. If you read the lyrics this guy writes, you'd understand why. He speaks of benevolence and love. He speaks of peace and heroism. He sings about being free and making lives better. He's dynamic and no matter where my musical tastes sways, I will always find Cruxshadows to be an amazing band.

Lately, I've been listening to so much old school goth rock and deathrock that it's become more and more preferential to me overall. But Cruxshadows and the songs they've made touches a part of me that those genres can't fully reach or encapsulate.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
Moon Child

Music has so many components in my life.....
I have a theme song for almost every mood or state i am in.. for better or for worse my mp4 is atatched to me
Moon Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
lLet me just say that music is what I breathe.
Quoted for truth. Music is more than the be all and end all, it is everything.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Anti-Mindvirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Child
Music has so many components in my life.....
I have a theme song for almost every mood or state i am in.. for better or for worse my mp4 is atatched to me

Mp4?
crazy!!!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
badteccy

Music.
My anti-drug.

Just kidding, I love to drink.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Anti-Mindvirus

Ok, another question : What is the best depressing music you can think of?

I think this goes to Elliott Smith.

Sweet Adeline

Cut this picture into you and me
Burn it backwards, kill this history
Make it over, make it stay away
Or hate'll say the ending that love started to stay

There's a kid a floor below me saying brother can you spare
Sunshine for a brother, old man winter's in the air
Walked me up a story, asking how you are
Told me not to worry, you were just a shooting star

Sweet Adeline
Sweet Adeline
My Clementine
Sweet Adeline

It's a picture-perfect evening and I'm staring down the sun
Fully loaded, deaf and dumb and done
Waiting for sedation to disconnect my head
Or any situation where I'm better off than dead
Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
Bete Noire

We Belong with the Dead - Inkubus sukkubus.

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen/
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Mir

Tool - Parabola

These fuckers can write a wicked song.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
Stormtrooper of Death

Tool is good. But for me I love Discharge or Government Issue, right now anyway.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
Mir

Henry Rollins - Spoken word (In Israel)
Old 03-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Stormtrooper of Death

Thank you Mir!!! Henry Rollins is my hero!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
Anti-Mindvirus

Oh Mir, I was not expecting that.. it was so weird.. I really like Henry Rollins.. I think I'll watch the other videos..
Old 03-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
Mir

Dinosaur Jr - Forget the swan
Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #18
pk_neverstopbreath

nocturnal depression on youtube is great music videos.
beautiful and dark
pk_neverstopbreath is offline   Reply With Quote