Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Pineapple_Juice

Freakin' computer is so deathly slow...

I hate it. It's been telling me I needed to free more drive space since the first month I got it-six years ago. I still haven't. I've got an 80gb iPod 'cause I have a lot of crap, but my computer can only hold about 1200-1500 songs in iTunes so it's a waste of money! Whenever I want new music, I have to weed out old songs that I don't listen to that often or don't absolutely love to make room!

Youtube videos have decided to stop playing halfway through anything I watch even if it's completely loaded. It just stops and buffers forever OR it just stops like that's the end of the video. I'm convinced it's because of my computer.

I can't update any of my software because I don't have any space. I've done disc cleanup and that other thing and it doesn't make a bit of difference. I store all of my pictures online to free up just the teeniest bit of space, but even still the computer will sometimes shut down and say it's trying to clear up space to run properly. I HATE IT.

I want to use my ipod to free up about 14gb of random concert footage and stuff but electronics make my head hurt and I don't know how to upload it onto the ipod and not have it sync right back on once I connect it.
Furthermore, this one's been through the ringer and I'm afraid it might take a crap and then all my music will be gone.

And I can't afford an external hard drive.

This is why folks back in the day had it good. No computer issues.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Still Jack

Linux.short
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Entropic

If you can, back up all of your data, reformat, and then only install programs you need.

Oh, there's also SkyDrive by Microsoft.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Tam Li Hua

If your computer is that old, it might be time for a new one, or at least time to get a new hard drive/additional drive altogether.

If you can't update any software, then that would explain a lot about why videos stop working, etc.

Computing.net may be able to help you further. ^_^
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I want to use my ipod to free up about 14gb of random concert footage and stuff but electronics make my head hurt and I don't know how to upload it onto the ipod and not have it sync right back on once I connect it.
Furthermore, this one's been through the ringer and I'm afraid it might take a crap and then all my music will be gone.
I think you just need to tick the box that says "Manually Manage Music" on the page that comes up on iTunes when you plug your iPod in. It's not really a good idea though. Like you said, if your iPod dies it will all be gone.

http://www.oldapps.com/forum/softwar...keep-ipod.html

I'm not really sure there's a better solution if you can't afford an external hard drive or new computer.

You might want to edit which programs start when you boot your computer. If you've been clicking things like "Default Installation" instead of custom, the programs quite often set themselves to run when the computer boots which can make everything go more slowly. If your computer is six years old I assume you have Windows XP? This should be able to guide you through the startup programs:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/msconfig.htm

You'll have to decide which programs to stop. Don't turn off firewalls and anti virus etc.

You also might want to remove unused programs entirely. Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Methadrine

Buy a mac. *smirk*

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine View Post
Buy a mac. *smirk*
Yeah, if you enjoy being frustrated, this is exactly the way to go. ;-]
Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Linux.short
This, except you need Wine to run iTunes.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Luv2H8

Buy a hammer. It'll solve all your problems
Luv2H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Entropic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
This, except you need Wine to run iTunes.
If it even runs.

I've had a rather interesting history with Wine.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Well judging by the fact that she cant even afford a external hard drive, I think a new computer is out of the question.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote