Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #51
Opteron_Man

Hmm, I read "Misery" by him and it was awesome! Haven't read the other books your talking about by him, but I guess it's a matter of taste.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #52
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM
Do you mean is all that old or isn't all that old?

Meant to post 'isn't all that old considering his entire career'.

I remember reading it when it was published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
Hmm, I read "Misery" by him and it was awesome! Haven't read the other books your talking about by him, but I guess it's a matter of taste.
I think despanan was just trying to rile up steven king fans.

Notice he hasn't posted since sound argument arrived in this thread.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #53
Eclipsing the Son

In fact. I'm pretty sure that this thread is just a parody of this one.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=11589

I've said it before. Despanan is a troll. He's just trying to get people riled up.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #54
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
You also have to take into account that his review of Cell is pretty inaccurate. They weren't zombies. They were people who had their minds wiped clean with some sort of frequency. Then they're collective blankness formed a hive mind and they all became telepathic and super intelligent. They would attack eachother in a same way a person clips his nails. To thin out what is useless and needs to be removed.

So yeah. It would have been a horribly disappointing zombie novel, if we were actually dealing with zombies.
One would think that a book dedicated to George A. Romero would be ABOUT FREAKING ZOMBIES. None the less, I admittedly did not get this far in the book. I put it down before I reached halfway because it was just that fucking horrible. I'm actually quite glad that I did not reach this revelation, for had I read far enough into the book for this to happen, I would've been forced to track down Stephen King and jam the hardcover so far down his throat he'd most likely die of asphyxiation...and that would land me in prison.

Anyway, simply put, Cell is full of fail. Don't read it unless you hate yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #55
Mr. Filth

I liked that book. :\

Not his best. The ending sucked. Other than that it was a cool adventure story.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #56
tekajo

Not that i hate myself, but i reread Cell after my initial post in this thread. Still think it sucks.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #57
SammiChainsaw

stephen king is an amazing writer...he's one of the most creative authors and by far one of the most intelligent...however, his movies come out too soon...he writes a book then like a couple weeks later he asks for a movie to be made...that draws attention away from his books and he doesn't realize that...i personally think his books are way better than his movies and with his movies being released right after his books nobody will be able see how creative he really is because who wants to sit through days upon days reading when a movie is only 2 hours...but anyways, his imagination is fascinating and unique...i do agree with them being predictable though...it seems like every other story has a writer for the main character...itz frustrating...
SammiChainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #58
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo
Not that i hate myself, but i reread Cell after my initial post in this thread. Still think it sucks.
Twice?

Do you not like your brain cells? Why can't you kill them with booze like normal people?
Quote:
Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #59
tekajo

i was thinking maybe i was stoned while i read it. Since i kept seeing how many people were saying it was "good". And i can't honestly remember what i was on at the time...so...hence round two.

It probably would have been better had i been stoned.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #60
Mr. Filth

Despanan. Have you read It or Needful Things? King has a lot more good books than bad. Do you really hate him or do you think he's just like one of those bands that you like but they are played so much on the radio that you start to hate them?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #61
Despanan

Dude, since the beginning I've been talking about Cell and only Cell.

Admittedly I'm prejudiced against his work because of all the bad films I've seen based on it (like I said), but as I said, I'm only talking about one book.

This thread isn't titled "FUCK STEPHEN KING" because I'm making an argument against all of his work, it's titled "FUCK STEPHEN KING" because I'm mad I wasted my time on Cell. I thought that was clear from the beginning.

I may take up other books of his in the future, or I may not. It's going to depend on whether or not the opportunity comes up.
Quote:
Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #62
Mr. Filth

Haha. Okay okay! You should read Duma Key. It's his most recent and was actually REALLY good. Probably one of the best he's ever written. Really great story telling.

Yeah though, his books translate to film horrendously.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #63
Despanan

I'll keep it in mind. Right now I'm finishing up Sandman, but I don't think I'll have anything else on my list after that, unless my girlfriend brings me something.
Quote:
Old 12-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #64
Gothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Dean Koontz > Stephen King.
never read Stephen King, but Dean Koontz?..nahhh..I stop reading his works. I don't like the sex part in his horror books.
It ruins everything. I read horror book just to find horror in it, not the sex thing.
I don't like reading books that's too much strange words..(heheh I mean my english isn't that good).
John Saul is one of my favourite writers, simple english, easy to read, the stories flow like a river.
Gothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #65
Mr. Filth

Wait... The sex in DEAD KOONTZ books turns you off?

You definitely haven't read any King.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:52 AM   #66
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
Dean Koontz? Are you kidding?

Well, ok, probably a better writer, but his plots. never. change.

It's always:

Good lady plus good man team up to fight/escape from/avert some almost-but-not-quite-supernatural evil. They succeed.

Sure, he has one or two books not like that - for example, sometimes the good lady and good man are a mentally-challenged man, or a can't-go-out-in-the-daytime man, but overall, you can plot his books without even reading them.

At least with Steven King I'm not sure where it's going to go. Although I must say that the latter Dark Tower books were an incredible disappointment, though I actually liked the ending.
Have you read the Odd series? Come on! It's a guy teaming up with the ghost of Elvis!

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #67
FairyGarland

I tried to read Duma Key by Stephen King but his style just didn't cut it for me. I am considering reading IT though.
FairyGarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #68
Mr. Filth

Duma Key has a very claustrophobic vibe to it and has a lot of commentary.

IT is the ultimate fantasy meets reality novel + Lovecraft type nuances. He even mentions Lovecraft a number of times as homage to dissuade anyone from accusing Him of ripping Lovecraft off.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #69
Daegonna Nocturnus

Stephen King's books are f**ked up and disturbing, but that just what makes them stangely addicting and interesting. And that man has a really distorted sense of humor and that's why I like him and his work
Daegonna Nocturnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #70
Devil's Darling

I agree with Daegonna! he has a fucked up way of writing but that's exactly why I love his work!
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #71
a morbid curiosity

I read Carrie the other day.
I thought it was OK. The style was sorta mediocre.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #72
peacebear5028

After I read IT I was afraid to take a shit for a week because I thought a killer clown was going to eat my bum.
This is why I cannot say anything bad about King`s works.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #73
Mealla

I liked a couple of Stephen King movies, so I decided to pick up one of the books and was sorely disappointed. His writing style bored me. The only thing I have by him that I did like was Cycle of the Werewolf, which the movie Silver Bullet was based off of. I'm really big into the werewolf stuff though.

Of Koontz, I've only read The Watchers and really liked it, but it does pretty much follow the overused plot structure described above. If you like the book though, don't under any circumstances see the movie. The movie not only doesn't follow the book, but it's just a shitty movie besides.

If you're looking for more zombie though, there was a creepy zombie short story set in India, written by Poppy Z. Brite, called "Calcutta, Lord of Nerves."
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #74
peacebear5028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
If you're looking for more zombie though, there was a creepy zombie short story set in India, written by Poppy Z. Brite, called "Calcutta, Lord of Nerves."
I fell in love with Poppy Z. the day I read that story.
The imagery is this wonderful hazy cloud that just envelops you.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #75
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Dean Koontz > Stephen King.
I concur. The problem with Dean though is that he has elements that are always the same regardless of the book. He's one of my favorite authors but there's only so many times I can read about "the round and round of all that is" before I get bored.

Anyway SK to me isn't as great as everyone makes him out to be. His dialogue sucks sometimes, for one.
Then again, one of my top 3 favorite books of all time is Rose Madder by him-it's incredible. I don't know what about it appeals to me but I read it at least once a month and I fall right into it every time. That doesn't say anything about his writing abilities though. I've read Pet Sematary, It, Everything's Eventual, and something else that I can't remember. Haven't gone through a lot-just some of his more popular things.

I thought Thinner and The Shining were great movies though.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote