Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Empty_Purple_Stars

Gothic Cop Killer in Virgina

This whole situation is a terrible tragedy, but I fear the Gothic Culture is going to be blamed once again for another act of senseless violence, by some Psychotic Sack of Dog Shit.

'Troubled' gunman kills officer at police station
Teen had been arrested for carjacking
Tuesday, May 9, 2006; Posted: 12:36 p.m. EDT (16:36 GMT)

CHANTILLY, Virginia (AP) -- A heavily armed teenager who killed a detective and wounded two officers in a shootout outside a suburban Washington police station had recently been arrested on carjacking charges, officials said Tuesday.

Michael W. Kennedy, 18, was crouched down between two vehicles in the station parking lot when he opened fire on the unsuspecting officer Monday afternoon, officials said.

An officer sitting in his cruiser was critically wounded in the attack, and Detective Vicky Armel, who had just walked out of the station, was shot and killed.

"This was an unprovoked attack, an ambush," Fairfax County Police Chief David Rohrer said Tuesday.

In all, the young shooter fired off at least 70 rounds before he was killed, Maj. Bob Callahan said. He said the teen had been armed with a high-powered hunting rifle, five pistols and an AK-47-style assault weapon.

Kennedy, of Centreville, had attempted another carjacking that day and was driving another stolen vehicle just before the attack, officials said. Armel had been headed out from the Sully District Police Station to assist the investigation when she was killed.

Four weeks earlier, Kennedy had been arrested by Fairfax police on a warrant connected to a carjacking in nearby Montgomery County, Maryland.

According to police reports, a 33-year-old man had been forced from his vehicle by a suspect who claimed to have a gun. Kennedy reportedly turned himself in to Fairfax police at one of their district stations and was held on a fugitive warrant charge. He was released after posting a $33,000 bond, court records showed.

Mary Ann Jennings, a Fairfax County police spokeswoman, said that on Monday there was another attempted carjacking and a van was stolen shortly before the officers were attacked. The stolen van was recovered in the police station parking lot.

She said police didn't know "exactly who he [Kennedy] was targeting except to say he was targeting police officers."

"All information points to the act of a lone, troubled individual -- not a conspiracy, not the act of terrorism," said Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Gerald Connolly. "It would appear that the gunman specifically targeted our police."

Armel, 40, was a nine-year veteran of the Fairfax County Police Department. Her husband is also a detective in the department, and she had two elementary school-aged children.

"On the day she died, she was doing her job right to the last moment. It's the kind of person she was," said Fairfax County Commonwealth's Attorney Robert Horan Jr.

A childhood friend of Kennedy, Ryan Gwin, said Tuesday he couldn't believe Kennedy was responsible for the shootings.

He described him as having a "gothic kind of thing going" in terms of his dress but said he had an eclectic group of friends.

Police taped off the home where Kennedy lived in with his parents as they searched for evidence Monday night.

The wounded 53-year-old officer remained in critical condition Tuesday after undergoing surgery overnight, officials. The other injured officer, a 28-year-old man, suffered minor injuries.

The shooting touched off hours of gridlock and confusion in the area as roads were blocked and nearby buildings, including a high school, were locked down as police sought other possible suspects before determining there was only one gunman.

SOURCE

Here we go with another onslaught of Stereotypical Generalizations from the Media.

Whee!!

Sigh.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
chelseagirl

Here's a link to a news story with more information, plus pictures of him. http://www.nbc4.com/news/9180915/detail.html

Funny, whenever there's pictures of a criminal described as "goth", they never look very "goth" to me...

The article says he was "dark, gothic-like, wore military clothing and played video games".

Just once, I'd like the news to describe a criminal as "the preppy-looking gunman", or the "gunman had a hip-hop style going on". The news only ever mentions the person's "style" if it's considered "gothic". How annoying.
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
WolfMoon

I had a "gothic thing" goin' on once, but it ran away.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
angel_dark_demon_bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
Just once, I'd like the news to describe a criminal as "the preppy-looking gunman", or the "gunman had a hip-hop style going on". The news only ever mentions the person's "style" if it's considered "gothic". How annoying.
Well i dont know about you, but around here in michigan, we hear about self appointed 'rappers' 'pimps' and 'gangsters' shooting at police, at other gangs, at eachother, or pretty much whatever gives them the biggest thrill almost every day. It seems to be a subject that happens more with 'hip-hop' style more than with a gothic one.

How surprising that a goth shooter would get more press. I hope this guy fries.
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
A Simple Poet

And to build on that, Hip Hop (as disgusting a subculture as I personally believe it is) never suffers as much indignity as the gothic one. It seems that the authorities may feel hip hop minions are naturally inclined to violence whereas goths sit around and actually conspire to plot these outrages.

God, I hate the mainstream on all levels, especially when they feel compelled to assign immediate blame in these cases based on preconcieved stereotypes. It all makes me want to f-cking puke.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
mutsumiasakura

Location: In the darkest corner of the smallest, most boring town in the universe.
Hmm. Where I live there aren't as many negative connotations to being one of the above mentioned "hip hop minions" as there are to being gothic. However, all things remotely "gang related" are banned from schools, while I am allowed to show up in any manner of gothic finery without getting in trouble.
I will say nothing about the funny looks.

"Poetry is the deification of reality." -Edith Sitwell

"Whoso eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life . . . "
mutsumiasakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
An Eccentric Cellist

A friend of mine was reading LaVey's Satanic Bible, and it's paperback so he wanted to preserve his copy so he was taping up the cover. This is in a reading class so the teacher offers to let him use the book tape she has. She sees the title and says, "Your not going to pull a Kennedy on me." Then she explains the whole entire thing to the class. The shooting was in my county, we all knew about it.
I read the article in the Times and scoffed the entire way through.

I've been getting looks of contempt from people and teachers who don't know me. I wear my clothing creatively and with the occasional splashes of color, I expect the look but the extra apprehension behind it is terrible.

That's the second or third influential person in my life to do that. This is from one of the most aware persons I've ever had the luck to meet. She rags on Chris all the time but man *sigh* that really made me cringe.

Why the hell do we not band together and start an awareness program?
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
roserougesang

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Eccentric Cellist
Why the hell do we not band together and start an awareness program?
That's a good question...
How about:
Darklings
Against
Mindless
Numbskulls

It spells DAMN

But then again, it is hard to be taken seriously with that kind of name.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
Fallen Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
Funny, whenever there's pictures of a criminal described as "goth", they never look very "goth" to me...
Quote:
News4 reporter Pat Collins reported Wednesday that among the items that were seized were (at Kennedy's home):

-A black notebook containing suicidal messages
-A notebook containing Satanic symbolism
It might be the reason why he was described as 'goth'
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
winged_dreams

That's terrible. My sympathy goes out the families of the policemen that were killed.

Hmmm...playing violent video games and wearing military clothes. Sounds like my fiance's brother who is very harmless although annoying.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
An Eccentric Cellist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
How about:
Darklings
Against
Mindless
Numbskulls

It spells DAMN

Too insulting as well. People come up with acronyms!
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
Sobeh

People
Everywhere,
Re:
Killer
Youth:
Goths are
Opposed, too,
For
Fuck
Sakes!

The acronym has a warm place in my heart. I know I didn't technically construct the acronym correctly, but I don't care.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
hells angel

hey winged_dreams you little bitch i hope you check this replie.your a goth for fucks sake yet in your picture your wearing pink and smiling. oh and what friggin goth has sympathy for a crime that there own people did? your like a fucking quincy punk!!!!! o.k. this is pissing me off
hells angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
Sobeh

Sod off, hells.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
hells angel

no way in hell that killer dude was gothic but whatecer the hell the fucking american media says
Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #16
hells angel

dude shut the fuck up that chick just annoyed me
Old 05-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #17
hells angel

drop it im sorry i dont want to have a problem with anyone im just upset
Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #18
A Simple Poet

Hell hath no fury than a Xng incensed. And I like that word "fucktard" almost as much as I do "assclown." Both of which apply to impolite noobs.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #19
hells angel

assclown is a nice word but Xnguela im not a very dignified person but i am stubborn as hell so either find a way to block me or just forget about this whole thing therwise well be at this for days
Old 05-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #20
hells angel

hmmm lets see with a drunk for a mom a malestor for a dad and a step dad who hits me no i dont not that you care
Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
Sanctus Dei

I may have mentioned the once before... but for immaturities sake:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

God I'm in a good mood... oh and Hell's Angel? Go suck your 'malestor' daddies cock for a bit as punishment for what you've done, ya nasty little twat.

Gigg-a-dy!
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #22
roserougesang

hells, if you're going to insult Xnguela and be a troll, kindly buzz off and don't come back...she's been on here far longer than you have and obviously has 10000000000000x more sense than you do........shoo troll
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #23
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hells angel
hmmm lets see with a drunk for a mom a malestor for a dad and a step dad who hits me no i dont not that you care
*plays world's smallest violin*

I'm sick and tired of little fucktards using abuse as an excuse for stupid behaviour. Also, who the hell are you to judge who is 'goth' and who isn't? Chances are that you don't know what the hell you are talking about anyway. YOU are a prime example of what is wrong with the subculture these days. Angst filled little shits who think they know what the subculture is all about, but in fact shit in it and make people think that anybody who is interested in ANYTHING dark must be an immature brat. Idiot.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #24
Crying_Crimson_Tears

F**k these people, they piss me off something fierce.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #25
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
How about:
Darklings
Against
Mindless
Numbskulls

It spells DAMN

Lol it may not be taken seriously but I am tempted to make a page about this. I am looking for articles people =)
Puppet Master is offline   Reply With Quote