Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Eturnus_Frost

I've Fallen In Love With...

Virgin Prunes!

This is my first actual time to listen to them, and I have to say...among all the genres I listen to, this tops off as my favorite artist.

I received their album ''If I die, I die''.

For years I've been experimenting with little music programs trying to conjure what music is brewing in that mind of mine, and Virgin Prunes has exactly that feel and sound I was looking to create.

Since this is the first time, and first album I have of them, would any of you like to give some recommendations of similar artists? Or just another good album by them?
Eturnus_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Draconysius

Did you download it from "Get Dead" by chance? Anyway, I'd recommend "A New Form of Beauty" or "Heresie" in terms of albums, but nothing they've done is on quite the same level as "...If I Die, I Die". For similar bands, check out Sex Gang Children, or... I can't think of anything else. They're so unique.:P
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Eturnus_Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Did you download it from "Get Dead" by chance? Anyway, I'd recommend "A New Form of Beauty" or "Heresie" in terms of albums, but nothing they've done is on quite the same level as "...If I Die, I Die". For similar bands, check out Sex Gang Children, or... I can't think of anything else. They're so unique.:P
I listen to Sex Gang Children already :P.

And yes, I got it from Get Dead, which is the site you recommenced if I'm not mistaking. If so, my thanks to you.
Eturnus_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
MIRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnus_Frost
Virgin Prunes!

This is my first actual time to listen to them, and I have to say...among all the genres I listen to, this tops off as my favorite artist.

I received their album ''If I die, I die''.

For years I've been experimenting with little music programs trying to conjure what music is brewing in that mind of mine, and Virgin Prunes has exactly that feel and sound I was looking to create.

Since this is the first time, and first album I have of them, would any of you like to give some recommendations of similar artists? Or just another good album by them?
Trully one the best albums ever. But to be honest, it really doesn't sound all that much like their other albums. That's because the album had more to do with who produced it then it did with the band.

"If I Die' I Die' was produced by COLIN NEWMAN, the lead singer of WIRE. It's well documented that he thought the VIRGIN PRUNES were absolute crap and completely took over the recording sessions. He has since apologized for being such a prick to them, but there is no doubt that it was his album more than thiers.

If you can get ahold of NEWMAN's solo album "A to Z", recorded at the same time "If I Die, I Die" was being recorded, you'll see just how similar they are. If you dropped out the vocals on the two albums you'd think they were the same band.

An even better album is WIRE's "154" recorded a year earlier. It doesn't sound the same as "A to Z" and 'If I Die, I Die", but it's in the same vein.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote