Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Apathy's_Child

What are you currently writing?

Figured it might be nice to have the writing equivalent of the "What are you currently listening to?" thread. I don't know how many of you guys will want to play since hardly anyone posts creative writing here anymore (which reminds me that I owe the majority of writers here a huge thank-you), but goddamnit, tear yourselves away from the fashion forum now and again and stop by.

I'm attempting to write a short surrealist (in a very simple fashion) play which encapsulates many of the arguments I regularly have with myself. If I can knock together something worth a damn, I may offer it to a buddy of mine, who's recently left college and is starting his own independent theatre company, to put it on as an opener for one of his full-length deals. Will obviously need to finish and make sure it's not a heap of drywank first though, obviously.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Heretic

I'm working on a novel exploring how people experience and come to terms with death in their lives: parents, siblings, loved ones, etc. I've incorporated some Fantasy and Horror elements as a means of illustrating the emotional impact loss and mortality has on those who are facing their deaths, as well as those left behind.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
sibyl vane.

A short story about the girlfriend of a puppet master.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Still Jack

I'm fiddling with an idea at the moment. I'm trying to write a history book about events that never happened, but could have happened. For instance Nick Griffin coming to power and there being a Totalitarian regime in the U.K. and then the story of various resistance movements teaming up to bring him down.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Man In Room 5

I'm writing ransom notes to the Vatican for a future money making scheme I've been contemplating.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Despanan

Yo.

I'll be churning out about ten-pages of this per week, for the next eight weeks.

Fun times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Apathy's_Child

Finished the short play, which is coming in at around six and a half minutes. Not really banging one out over it as a whole, but really pleased with a couple of parts. Will edit it properly once I finish my next project - I'm a firm believer in a little distance being the true test of whether something's worth putting any more time into.

Currently planning a poem about a house I used to pass on the way to work, that looked abandoned and overgrown and which I assumed was empty until one day there was an ambulance outside, wheeling this old woman away.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Ishan

Title? I have to have a title, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I don't know how many of you guys will want to play since hardly anyone posts creative writing here anymore (which reminds me that I owe the majority of writers here a huge thank-you), but goddamnit, tear yourselves away from the fashion forum now and again and stop by.
Well, thank you for that, Apathy's_Child. We welcome writers.

Few know how to write, and I am among these, of the poor and verbose throng. Nonetheless, at this moment, this is exactly what I am writing, as you read it here, first:

Wound me once more, that I may have cause to revenge! Smite me in the wake of these ill deeds, now passed, that you shall use them to mold the visage of the bastard incarnate. I am he! He is me, and I am your servant in that cause so unrighteous that it requires a righteous face!

Wrest upon this world all those horrid things that I do, that you may undo them for the sake of the powerless, the hopeless, and the divine. You are so divine, you condemning scoundrel. I love your art, but I despise your vision.

Your thirst for power is never quenched, for there shall always be me. Even when there is no longer me, I shall haunt your moment of triumph with a paranoid thought. I am the very goodness you proclaim, for I am your restraint!

Our moments are at hand! They are symboisis, mutual need, dastardly deed to beget dastardly deed. How I love the dream of mankind! Pray I shall be, evermore, his darkest need!
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Apathy's_Child

Short play finished, reviewed and deemed acceptable.

Currently writing a poem about being on a train held up by a suicide further down the line, which happened about three years ago.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #10
Apathy's_Child

Screw you guys.

Working on a comic strip about a necrophile....... I'm thinking Child of God meets Bottom. I haven't drawn anything properly for a while, and I'm out of practice. Fun though.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Noirette

Nothing. That's exactely my problem.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
requiescant_in_pace

I'm writing a little 'one act' about a mentally retarded hairdresser who has just discovered the cure for cancer.
requiescant_in_pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
Dragonmage

writing

You asked for it, you got it!
I'm currently working on a mythology based ALIENS/DOOM3/EVIL DEAD/Conan fantasy tale in which an African barbarian Queen HAS to go to another African kingdom in a role reversal situaion in which the queen rescues the prince from the Lamia of Greek myth to prevent him from marrying her and preventing demonic hordes from overrunning the wolrd in a cataclysm from which the world will NEVER recover. The action takes place in a pyramid which has already been over run by demonic hordes and there's no way can the queen (an Ellen Ripley/Red Sonja/Conan blend) do it on her own and se has to take a team she can REALLY trust. So she calls upon some experienced friends with an experienced leader. There's a bit of goth in it due to the references to demons, the undead and torture.
Dragonmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
requiescant_in_pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmage View Post
You asked for it, you got it!
I'm currently working on a mythology based ALIENS/DOOM3/EVIL DEAD/Conan fantasy tale in which an African barbarian Queen HAS to go to another African kingdom in a role reversal situaion in which the queen rescues the prince from the Lamia of Greek myth to prevent him from marrying her and preventing demonic hordes from overrunning the wolrd in a cataclysm from which the world will NEVER recover. The action takes place in a pyramid which has already been over run by demonic hordes and there's no way can the queen (an Ellen Ripley/Red Sonja/Conan blend) do it on her own and se has to take a team she can REALLY trust. So she calls upon some experienced friends with an experienced leader. There's a bit of goth in it due to the references to demons, the undead and torture.
...the uh...huh.
I uh...
requiescant_in_pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
Dragonmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiescant_in_pace View Post
...the uh...huh.
I uh...
It's NOT supposed to be highbrow literature like Charles Dickens but premise is easy to understand. The proverbial foretold chosen one has to go abroad to do a battle which she HAS to win or the world's well and truly fucked and the said chosen one needs help from experienced friends and what if I was to tell you one of the said chosen one's friends is called Igor?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
ART

I am very sorry to be the one to tell you this, Dragonmage. But if your text has any semblance to the writing style you demonstrate here. Well.

It will be anything but easy to understand.

Besides, Dickens is entertainment. Not very high in the brow, though perhaps a tad long of tooth these days.
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
Queen Michael

I'm curently writing this, my first entry on these message boards. Now and then I'm also writing a book that's supposed to seem like it was written by a young girl, except it's all made-up. If you imagine the novel Beijing Doll by Chun Sue being fictional you'll know what I mean.
Queen Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
alchemie

Right now? Nothing. Taking a break. I just had 2 books come out.
alchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #19
Dragonmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemie View Post
Right now? Nothing. Taking a break. I just had 2 books come out.
You're a better writer than me!! BTW my post was just a synopsis and the proper thing is NOTHING LIKE THE COTT remake. But it has got a bit of Beowulf/Conan (warrior queenf rom a foreign land going abroad to do battle with a demon to tescue a prince) but there is a bit of horror and torture in it.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
Song

I'm just starting to write a story about a shape shifter.
Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #21
Dragonmage

Good luck and I hope it goes according to plan. But if you want my advice, get yourself a PDA if you need to make a lot of notes that need keeping in order.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
horse

Smile uhhh

My friends and family have asked me to right a story of my life multiple times, but I keep telling them i have a lot of living left to do before i do that. So i decided to right a fiction loosely biographical based on the time before i got drafted, and one of the women i met. It was a very intense time in my life and the story is very graphic sexually and there is some violence, so you won't find me posting it here. I am also plagued by this schizophrenic writing style.
The story would start out in a very high English than revert to some down home type English than back to the high English. I guess it would be like how i am in real life.
horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #23
Skye Jules

I'm working on an installation piece for Sorean called Victoria's Asylum of Maggots that's basically about her experience in Bedlam and details all of what women went through in that asylum during the early 19th century.

I'm also proofreading the last chapters in my novel Witch Tourniquet, so hopefully I'll be querying that soon. The query letter is just a bitch to write for it.

And I'm re-writing A Poison Called Lye, a YA novel that deals with abortion.
Skye Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #24
the-nihilist

I'm typing up my resume and maybe a cover letter.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
triggerhappi26

3 stories running simultaneously to fight off writers block, it's extremely rare for me to be stuck on all 3 at once.

One is my first ever graphic novel, well second in a series that I'm hoping will end at 13 books. It is hard because I'm not a very good artist, pretty much learning more and more techniques as I go which means maybe the last book will look decent that I can then redo the others, who knows. It's about this circus basically, that has been trapped cursed, (gypsy curse) The psychic tells the ring master that to break the curse he must collect 3000 souls in return for those within the circus, it's debatable whether the ringmaster truly is "evil" or just consumed with his own freedom. Each chapter is actually a short story based around a certain aspect of the circus, (fire breather, clown, magician, side show attractions etc.) each of these short stories surrounds two particular characters however, the "heroes", Always trying to prevent this corruption that is absorbing the circus. It's a horror/psychological thriller about a descent into madness and the consuming evil in humanity, though most people would probably just read it for the gore, oh well.

The next is a familiar story one of a wind up doll who grows to feel, with the inability to speak she sees more than anyone should, incestuous acts, filicide. She then flees her creators home as the body of the lady of the house's infant is found and the lady places blame on the doll. Now into the world the doll goes searching for her voice, facing a constant struggle of finding a way to keep wound up. This may be my first story with a classic happy ending, we'll see, I have two endings in mind that are possible.

The rd and final one is an almost science fictional fantasy, sci fi is a genre I've not tried before so it'll be interesting where it goes. It's very steam punk, a future world, but with a setting out of the Victorian era. I'm constantly trying to hit one of my themes that doesn't quite tie into the story until right at the end, that theme is class devision, I'm looking to crumble a society >:}. But the main story is actually more about Fae, some of the stories integrated are really myths and legends that I was told as a kid. Out of all three this one is not shaped as clearly, and subject to change.
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote